Cooking for kids and me.

Options
My biggest struggle with meals is that I have to cook tons of stuff to satisy everyone. My husband, the kids and myself and then I end up snacking what i have cooked for them.

Any advice on how to avoid this? My kids are young and I can't expect them to just eat a salad or a can of soup or fruit.

Replies

• dcrump
    dcrump Posts: 13
    Options
    I have 2 boys and a husband to cook for also and that use to be a challenge for me. I try to cook for them separate from myself. Because my meals are smaller and less time to make I always eat before them while their food is still cooking. Good Luck.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You can alter any recipe to make it lower fat and better for you and your whole family. Check the recipe board for recipes. There are so many great recipes there that the whole family will love including the little ones. Good nutrition shouldn't be for just us. I remember seeing some recipes in particular there that I though my kids would like and they are so picky. LOL

Good Luck!! :smokin:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat what I cook for everyone else in the family, but as it is cooking I come here and work out how much of it I can have. I save almost half my calories for dinner, and eat lighter during the day. Most of the time only heating something up for lunch. we have 5 in the family and I know if I have to make something different, I will not keep this as a lifestyle change. If you look at my diary you will see I still have pizza and spaghetti with them, I just have to do my calculations first. Hope it helps. :wink: I have swimmers in the house do need to make good energy rich food for everyone, plus something my 2 year old will eat! I only ever make 1 dinner
  • csalemme
    csalemme Posts: 3
    Options
    I try and make things that can be used both ways...If I make boneless skinless chicken, I put it on a big salad for myself and then make french fries or mac and cheese and cut up the chicken for them w/ fresh fruit...still healthy/well balanced but kid friendly. I do this with all main courses (london broil, fish, shrimp, etc)...if you are having soup give them soup too but make grilled cheese to dip in it. Basically work with the main thing you are making and supplement with easy sides for them. Also, don't count the kids out when preparing healthy meals...my kids (3 yrs) love salads, asparagus, hummus, goat cheese and many other strange non kid friendly things only b/c they wanted to try something on my plate. Good luck!
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I eat what I cook for everyone else in the family, but as it is cooking I come here and work out how much of it I can have. I save almost half my calories for dinner, and eat lighter during the day. Most of the time only heating something up for lunch. we have 5 in the family and I know if I have to make something different, I will not keep this as a lifestyle change. If you look at my diary you will see I still have pizza and spaghetti with them, I just have to do my calculations first. Hope it helps. :wink: I have swimmers in the house do need to make good energy rich food for everyone, plus something my 2 year old will eat! I only ever make 1 dinner

I do the same thing. I try to make as healthy a dinner as I can, and just make sure that I have 1 serving of whatever I make, or have more vegetables on my plate. It has worked so far, and I don't have to worry about making 2 different things for dinner. :smile:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I do the same thing. I try to make as healthy a dinner as I can, and just make sure that I have 1 serving of whatever I make, or have more vegetables on my plate. It has worked so far, and I don't have to worry about making 2 different things for dinner. :smile:
    I should have said that! I do that with veggies too, and skip the rice when i make stirfry, just make it with heaps of veggies
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    My family eats whatever i cook...lol i guess i'm just mean but if im having a salad so are they :laugh: and u know what if they dont eat eventually they'll get hungry right?....on a few occasions i do make my 3 yr old something of his own but not many times...he now loves grilled chicken and almost all veggies aside from brusselsprouts and limabeans ...and my 8 month old, i got this mesh tongue thing at walmart for a few dollars and i cut up avocados, strawberries, etc and put it in there and hand it to him...its really healthy and i figure it provides good lifestyles for the kids, because the sooner they start eating right the more likely itll become a lifestyle for them ...as for hubby he can eat what u eat, maybe he'd be surprised at how good healthy food can be :smile: if u have a salad maybe put some meat and cheese on his or if u make a healthy meal ...just make an extra side of something the kids and hubby would indulge in
  • cdkmlt
    cdkmlt Posts: 6
    Options
    It is so easy to reduce your fat and calorie intake by substittuing. Your family really doesn't have to know they are eating healthier. Use cooking spray instead of oil and bake instead of fry. The butter sprays help reduce too. Teenage boys eat you out of house and home and if what they are eating is healthy then thats one less stress for me.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing as hasiangirl for the most part. I make dinner and if they don't like or it (or I make something spicy) they can have cereal. In our house though we don't have much choice as their is so many food allergies so it is lean meat, veggies and fruit for every meal if not rice type cereal or oatmeal. It is recent that we all have these allergies and you know the kids complained for awhile but they do get hungry and they will eat what is in front of them. My kids miss pasta and bread and baked goods but they only ask once in awhile now for them. They do have stuff we can eat like that but it is a lot of $ so we only eat it once in a great while as special treats.