MACRO question: fat vs carbs? Also, NROL

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Alright. I'm starting out with NROL for women, and I'm starting to think hard about my macros and do 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein.
Now...Obviously in an ideal world it would be perfect in every category, but I'm focusing on my protein. Is it better to g over on fat or on carbs? Or at least, what are the metabolic differences of going over carbs or going over fat?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would undershoot calories rather than fats, if weight loss is your goal. But I wouldn't panic about either being a few percent out. Nobody expects you to sit with a bucket of olive oil, a bucket of starch and a pile of chicken and get it exactly right :-)

Two studies showing snacking on nuts (fat) is better than snacking on carbs (candy / pretzel) :-
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20833992
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19396658
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Id say its not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. As long as you hit your total calorie goals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think its better to go over on fats.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally I just try to hit a certain amount of protein and fats, the rest comes from what I want. For me, that is about 120g protein, 45g of fats...the rest is whatever I want, extra carbs, fats and protein is irrelevant as long as I hit the minimum for fats and protein.

I just started NROL as well:smile:
  • briebebe
    briebebe Posts: 21
    Options
    If I had to chose I'd go over in carbs. Carbs are your energy. You need just enought HEALTHY fat to help process the other nutrients your body takes in. One rule of thumb I have ALWAYS listened to is no fats after a workout. Fat decreases the rate of protein synthesis, and protein is what helps build lean muscle.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you everybody. This is helping a lot.
  • KazzaLee13
    KazzaLee13 Posts: 46
    Options
    When you eat too many carbs the body has already got enough stock of carbs and the way of stocking the extra carbs is transforming it into fat.
    My good sense would say it's better to go over on carbs because obviously you need more carbs than fat in a day and as it's your energy there's more chance it can be used here and there in the day and not transformed into fat especially if you workout. :)