Help? How many calories are in a chicken leg quarter?

YoshiZelda
YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
We're having chicken leg quarters today because i can't go out and shop, due to spending the day with my mom. How many calories are in a chicken leg quarter? It says there is 80 OZ 5 lb bag.
4 oz per serving, and 230 cals per serving.
And there are 6 chicken leg quarters in the bag. I feel stupid for asking this but I am horrible at math.
Question is, how many calories for just 1 of the chicken leg quarters? thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    It says there is 80 OZ 5 lb bag.
    And there are 5 chicken leg quarters in the bag.

80 oz total divided by 5 legs = ~16oz per leg. 230 cals per 4 oz means each 16 oz leg would be 920 cal. That seems like a very large weight for each leg+thigh. Are you sure there are only 5 in the bag?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    generally one leg quarter with skin is about 250 cals
  • YoshiZelda

80 oz total divided by 5 legs = ~16oz per leg. 230 cals per 4 oz means each 16 oz leg would be 920 cal. That seems like a very large weight for each leg+thigh. Are you sure there are only 5 in the bag?

OOPS, I mean 6 leg quarters. And that's what I was saying !! I tried doing the math by myself but the calories came out very high. And whats weird is some of them are small and some medium, so I'm having a brain fart trying to figure this out haha.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member

A one pound leg quarter would have had to come from a real big bid, I would expect a leg quarter to be about 6oz or so. The thing is that the chicken has probably been injected with a salt water brine or broth. Many producers do this to up the weight of the chicken when they package it. Though I wouldn't expect that brine to add that much extra weight.

I think to determine the calories per leq quarter would be to weigh each one prior to cooking.
  • YoshiZelda
    Also, I WILL be removing the skin.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    That will change your calorie counts drastically. You then probably need to use a more generic chicken leg quarter from the MFP food database. There are ones in there with and without skin. Personally I love the skin when grilled or baked and just count it in to my targets for the day.
  • YoshiZelda
    That will change your calorie counts drastically. You then probably need to use a more generic chicken leg quarter from the MFP food database. There are ones in there with and without skin. Personally I love the skin when grilled or baked and just count it in to my targets for the day.

Thank you! I found one on the food database. I also love the skin, but I heard it's almost more calories than the chicken itself. Not sure if it's true or not though.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    the 4 ounce serving means meat only, you don't eat the bone. Your best bet is to take the meat of the bone and weigh it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    If you are removing the skin, then you are essentially eating dark meat chicken. Search the database using keywords *Chicken* and *Dark* and see what comes up. It should be slightly higher calorie than regular chicken breast per oz because there is more intramuscular fat in the dark meat vs. the breast.

In terms of weight. Remove from the bone and weigh what you're about to eat if you have a scale available. Otherwise, compare it to a deck of cards which is approximately 4 oz.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Don't get too caught up in the small things. Pick the middle sized piece and give it your best guess. Log it. Then enjoy yourself. It will be close enough. :flowerforyou: Edited to add... I mean to say that occasionally being a little off is not going to break you.
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Your best bet is to buy a food scale for times like this so you can weigh the one you will be eating. Most often they calculate calories in a pre-cooked state for meat/pasta/soup/sauce as cooking eliminates or converts some moisture (water/grease/oil) and makes it weigh less. If you are looking at chicken leg quarter in a bag, it probably has the skin on it and the bones. The weight for a medium one about 16 oz and about a third of that is skin and bone. The calories on the bag listed are for the meat and skin. When you cook the chicken if it's baked, I lose about 4 oz of weight from pre-cook to post-cook. I take the post-cook weight since I'm not eating the bones and record that. If it was boneless, I would take the pre-cook weight. Let me know if this makes sense.
  • CARoberts73
    CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
    Don't get too caught up in the small things. Pick the middle sized piece and give it your best guess. Log it. Then enjoy yourself. It will be close enough. :flowerforyou: Edited to add... I mean to say that occasionally being a little off is not going to break you.

Amen!

• lovecriminal
    lovecriminal Posts: 41 Member

Amen!

Amen!
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    You should google USDA food database. They are very accurate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    The nutrition info is for meat only... they don't count the bone weight. So you pretty much have to weigh the meat. If you can't, just find a USDA entry for 'leg quarter', it won't be accurate though.
    generally one leg quarter with skin is about 250 cals

In my experience, it's around 250 without skin.
  • hot2trot4Christ
    hot2trot4Christ Posts: 1 Member
    I de-boned and skinned two 10 lb. bags of leg qtrs and both times it came out around 4 lbs. of actual chicken meat. Therefore, the skin, fat, & bones weighed 6 lbs. That is the skin, fat, & bones comprise 60% and the meat only 40%.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    What the heck is a chicken leg quarter?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    jcraig10 wrote: »
    What the heck is a chicken leg quarter?

floxpl6va2aj.jpg