Fitness + Pregnancy = ???

Options
KrisyKat
KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
Aloha MFPeeps!!

I have been consistently losing weight for a few years now, but I've been the most successful using MFP to assist in my fitness goals. Now, with only 15 more pounds to go, I know I will have to push even harder. The number on the scale is moving slower, therefore, I've been changing up my exercise routines and researching strategies for pushing past the "weight-loss plateau." Overall, my goal is to get healthier and tone up as much as possible in order to prepare my body for pregnancy. I've never been a mother before and, since I have a wonderful husband and a stable career, I am looking forward to becoming one.

My question is, what steps/measures can I take NOW to help my body recover after becoming pregnant and giving birth? After working so hard and getting in shape, I don't want to end up back where I started. I certainly won't have the same horrible eating habits as I used to, but is there anything I can do to make the whole process easier?

Stats:
Female, 32
SW (before MFP): 180 lbs.
SW (on MFP): 165 lbs.
CW: 145 lbs.
GW:130 lbs.

Thanks a million!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• xStellar
    xStellar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump

would love to hear from mothers on here who have tips for staying fit throughout/quick recovery from pregnancy
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    Anyone?
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Keep eating healthy.
    Don't stop exercising.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There is a woman at my gym who is about 8 months preganant as she works out with weights, uses the eliptical. From behind you can't even tell she's pregnant. She is hoping stay active will help with delivery and postpregnancy problems.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am currently preparing for pregnancy, too. My nutritionist advised me to stay active and only eat 300 cals more a day. You can apparently do all the things you did before the pregnancy but in moderation of course. She also made it very clear that pregnancy is not the time to increase physical activity. :)
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    Keep eating healthy.
    Don't stop exercising.

Will do!! I promise :wink:
  • Sallycinnimon
    Sallycinnimon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    As long as you continue to eat healthy and exersize, you'll be fine. I did the same thing with my son. When I left the hospital, I was 10lbs lighter than my starting weight. This may not be true for everyone. I was told you only need 500 extra calories a day, so just keep being healthy. =)
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep exercising. Depending on what your work outs before pregnancy are like you may have to tone it down a little during pregnancy, but every mother I've heard who worked out through one pregnancy but not another recovered much faster after the pregnancy where they did work out.
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    There is a woman at my gym who is about 8 months preganant as she works out with weights, uses the eliptical. From behind you can't even tell she's pregnant. She is hoping stay active will help with delivery and postpregnancy problems.

YES!!! I hope to be that very woman some day!! :smooched:
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    I am currently preparing for pregnancy, too. My nutritionist advised me to stay active and only eat 300 cals more a day. You can apparently do all the things you did before the pregnancy but in moderation of course. She also made it very clear that pregnancy is not the time to increase physical activity. :)

That's a big 10-4!! Thanks for passing on the great info :flowerforyou:
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    As long as you continue to eat healthy and exersize, you'll be fine. I did the same thing with my son. When I left the hospital, I was 10lbs lighter than my starting weight. This may not be true for everyone. I was told you only need 500 extra calories a day, so just keep being healthy. =)

I'll definitely stay as healthy as possible. I hear that the "cravings" are tough though :laugh:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Just keep using the system. I was about 4 months along when I joined MFP. I set the goal to gain 1/2 pound a week; this was about idea for me. I was sick the first half of my pregnancy, but I walked as much as I could, and added swimming in later. I ate back all my calories. I did set it to gain about 1 lb a week in my 3rd trimester because of how little I'd gained before (due to being sick). My overall gain was 17 pounds, ideal for starting out 20 lbs overweight. I kept it at maintain until my postpartum checkup at 6 weeks. Seven months after giving birth I am 10 pounds lighter than before I got pregnant! (I keep it at lose 1/2 lb a week)

If you are starting at a good weight, expect to gain about 25-35 pounds during a healthy pregnancy. You can pretty much keep doing whatever exercise you were doing before getting pregnant, but it's important to listen to your body and stop if you get tired. It's not a time to break records! I know a few moms who ran 10k or went on big hikes when they were pregnant, but it was nothing new for them. It's important to realize that you main gain more than you plan, and that you will have a pooch (belly) for months after, but that a healthy baby is the #1 goal.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome, honey :flowerforyou:
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    Keep exercising. Depending on what your work outs before pregnancy are like you may have to tone it down a little during pregnancy, but every mother I've heard who worked out through one pregnancy but not another recovered much faster after the pregnancy where they did work out.

Exercise- YAY!!! I can't see myself being a couch potato for nine months :noway:
  • KrisyKat
    Options
    But that a healthy baby is the #1 goal.

It sure is!!! :love: I'm really looking forward to motherhood!! Thank you sooo much for the advice!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU SPECIAL LADIES OUT THERE!!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Keep doing exactly what you are doing now, provided your doctor agrees with your fitness plan.

Once you are 130, you should be very confident that you've once shed a large amount of weight and can easily shed the 25 lbs a woman with normal BMI is suggested to gain during pregnancy.

Eat right, work out right, and good luck!
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    Sounds like you'll be doing all the right things, but definitely agree with others saying you hardly need any more calories - certainly no more than 300 per day, and I think it maybe goes up to 500 more per day for the last few weeks?. Make sure you are getting plenty of nutrients and vitamins for your calories (your own body's supplies will just deplete to grow the baby if you are not taking in sufficient, which will make post-birth recovery harder).

Keep active throughout, but listen to your body - I ended up housebound with pelvic girdle pain and gained a ton of weight with my second, because I tried to power on through a bit of discomfort.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

I'll definitely stay as healthy as possible. I hear that the "cravings" are tough though :laugh:

I think cravings are an urban legend. I didn't have any weird cravings. I didn't overindulge on fried food, fast food, or ice cream. If you are eating healthy now, you'll want to eat healthy while pregnant as well.