Ideas for camping food?

2»

Replies

• ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    The nitrates in hot dogs make them bad for you. It's not the calories per say, although there are much better meats out there than hot dogs.
    I knew someone would discuss this. The nitrates are bad. Did you know that nitrates are found in well water also? We have our well tested anually and I was very suprised when I learned that!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Overall, any prepared food are not good for you. No preservatives, and as close to nature as possible is always best! It tastes better that way too!

It's great that nitrate free bacon, hot dogs, and lunch meat are now all available in stores. I don't want to put nitrates into mine or my family's body. Just the real stuff.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Thanks for all the help! I am back from camping and it was a success.
    I planned all my meals ahead and printed them out to keep as a guide. It didn't feel hard at all, and I even got to eat a smore everynight.
    Also- I told my husband I wanted to make sure and get a good 45 minute hike in everyday. So, we found some great trails to go on. It was a bonus because the kids, husband and dog got a workout too. Instead of sitting by the campfire on our buns, we were moving! It felt great. We also got to explore when we normally wouldn't have even thought of it.

I'm glad you could use my preplanning/printing out method with lots of walks. I find that it works well for me, and I usually even lose a pound or so! Happy camping!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    These are great ideas! We are going camping this weekend and was a littleworried but I think I may just be better prepared now-- thanks!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    hotdogs are not high in cals, and are not that bad for you. im sure you can even get turkey dogs which are probably even lower cal.

hotdogs and mustard...yum, and no more than 100 cals each! take a jar of pickles if you like pickles? i don't know to what extent you are roughing it. but if you are going with pans and stuff you can easily cook eggs and bacon. you can bring a bunch of fruit and veggies. if you are roughing it with little appliances, bring mini veggies, like baby carrots, baby tomatos, and just some lettuce and youve got salad. granola bars for snacks. low cal jello pudding/jello cups!

Holy sodium! Eat sandwhiches! Hobo is best idea cuz you won't havetodefend yourself!
This discussion has been closed.