SUP- stand up paddle boarding... Info needed.

Options
I'm new to SUP. considering buying a board.
Found a used Yolo yak. Hybrid SUP kayak. For $250. New they are about $600

Does anyone out there SUP?
What info tips and suggestions can you share?

I'll be paddling mostly on lakes. Maybe a calm river. And hope to take it to the beach an or bay on calm waters.

I like the stability of recreational boards.
The shorter boards are harder for me to stand on

Thought the cheaper Yolo yak would be a great starting point.

What can y'all share?

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I am doing it as a form of cross training. Have you taken a class yet? They will help you with the stroke technique. My husband and I both found used boards online for $450 with paddle. Just takes a little craiglist stalking.

Board: Consider not only the length but the width. Both our boards are 31" across. The narrower, the less stable. We also figured out today that one of our boards is flat on top and the other is a little curved. The curved one was not good for me today because my vertigo was kicking up and it was less stable then the flat board. Make sure you can maneuver it in and out of your transport vehicle. The flat board is a beast for me to get into and out of the truck. We have a 12' and an 11'. The 12' cruises better but is hard to turn, the 11' is a little more work but turns easily.

Paddle: Make sure its the right size. It should come to your wrist when you arm is stretched above your head. Hold it the opposite way you think you should.

The stroke: You can make is an upper body work out by using your arms or a core work out by keeping your arms straight and using your waist to move the paddle. Paddle into the wind first so your return to shore has the wind at your back. Today it was gusting to 25mph and I was a giant sail. The trip out took twice as long as the trip in.

I have been logging it as kayaking but I know that is conservative.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am doing it as a form of cross training. Have you taken a class yet? They will help you with the stroke technique. My husband and I both found used boards online for $450 with paddle. Just takes a little craiglist stalking.

Board: Consider not only the length but the width. Both our boards are 31" across. The narrower, the less stable. We also figured out today that one of our boards is flat on top and the other is a little curved. The curved one was not good for me today because my vertigo was kicking up and it was less stable then the flat board. Make sure you can maneuver it in and out of your transport vehicle. The flat board is a beast for me to get into and out of the truck. We have a 12' and an 11'. The 12' cruises better but is hard to turn, the 11' is a little more work but turns easily.

Paddle: Make sure its the right size. It should come to your wrist when you arm is stretched above your head. Hold it the opposite way you think you should.

The stroke: You can make is an upper body work out by using your arms or a core work out by keeping your arms straight and using your waist to move the paddle. Paddle into the wind first so your return to shore has the wind at your back. Today it was gusting to 25mph and I was a giant sail. The trip out took twice as long as the trip in.

I have been logging it as kayaking but I know that is conservative.

Awesome info. Thanks.
    No I haven't taken lessons. I just tried out my sisters board and one other board. The longer boards are better for me. My sisters is 10'. More like a surf board. I couldn't stand up easily. But tried a 12'6" Tahoe board. It was awesome. But can't afford that!! 1800!! Shew!!!
    The yolo yak is a hybrid kayak / SUP. and 11'10". And I think 33" wide. So super stable.
    The one I found by placing a wanted ad on Craigslist. The guy wants $250 for it. And $200 for the paddle! I think I'll try a cheaper paddle.... If I can find one that's a lil cheaper.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to talk to some people this coming week.
    Feel free to FR me and we can be SUP buddies!! Lol

Thanks again.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    There's also thickness. The thickness has more to do with the floatyness, lol. Width is stability. Length has to do with speed. Each aspect sacrifices another. For instance if you want more stability, you sacrifice speed, etc. if you want speed, you sacrifice stability. They all play together. At your level, you may want something thick, wide, and long. Sounds dirty, but it's true. Lol.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I found today that thin but long and wide worked best for me. I'm gonna try thick and short again when I am feeling better.

Trust me...buy a crap board but a really good carbon fiber paddle. The paddle is part of the love you will feel. A cheap paddle will make it more work than fun.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    There's also thickness. The thickness has more to do with the floatyness, lol. Width is stability. Length has to do with speed. Each aspect sacrifices another. For instance if you want more stability, you sacrifice speed, etc. if you want speed, you sacrifice stability. They all play together. At your level, you may want something thick, wide, and long. Sounds dirty, but it's true. Lol.

LOL thanks! I like dirty!

I figured that long and wide would be good... general physics and the fact that I couldn't stand up on my sisters 10' board.
    The Tahoe was a race style board... longer, thicker, but slightly more narrow. I could stand on it better... but yes when it's longer its harder to maneuver.

I am totally good going with used and more economical for my first board... and I think the Yolo Yak Sup is a good combo.
    Thanks for the info!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    I found today that thin but long and wide worked best for me. I'm gonna try thick and short again when I am feeling better.

Trust me...buy a crap board but a really good carbon fiber paddle. The paddle is part of the love you will feel. A cheap paddle will make it more work than fun.

GOOD TO KNOW!!!!
    Thanks for that!!!!

Was considering the adjustable Kialoa Paddle... ??? But not sure what brands are good.
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes, great post to find!

My sil has an SUP that I tried out last summer. No clue about the dimensions, but it was a cheap board from Costco I think? Paddle is crap, came with it. Still very fun! You don't always realize the muscles you see working and the exercise you are getting. I'd love to know how many calories are actually burned... A lot of variables I guess....

Anyway, would love to get a board of my own, and this post is helpful! I've been stalking Craigslist, but nothing so far. I'm in Minnesota, and although this is a popular sport right now, I feel it's still hard to find boards around here. Maybe because our lakes are frozen over half the year! :)

The Yolo Yak looks pretty cool! I'd love to see it in person!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Yes, great post to find!

My sil has an SUP that I tried out last summer. No clue about the dimensions, but it was a cheap board from Costco I think? Paddle is crap, came with it. Still very fun! You don't always realize the muscles you see working and the exercise you are getting. I'd love to know how many calories are actually burned... A lot of variables I guess....

Anyway, would love to get a board of my own, and this post is helpful! I've been stalking Craigslist, but nothing so far. I'm in Minnesota, and although this is a popular sport right now, I feel it's still hard to find boards around here. Maybe because our lakes are frozen over half the year! :)

The Yolo Yak looks pretty cool! I'd love to see it in person!

It's hard to find here too.. GA. . And is super expensive. I posted a "wanted" ad on Craigslist and a guy contacted me about the yolo yak for a great price. I suppose to try it this weekend if we can get together. I'll post the results here.
    I read somewhere that it's "over priced" because of the somewhat newness of it in non coastal surf areas. But the prices haven't dropped much over the last few years.
    The yolo yak is the most ecomomical I have found... And durable.
    So I hope I like it.
    Huge expense regardless because of the cost of a paddle which seems most important. And I have to get a roof tack. Which is gonna be more than the board and paddle combined.
    So much easier if I had a truck. Lol.

PS... Yolo yak looks like a flat kayak.
    Downside from what I hear is it's heavier than most paddle boards... 50 lbs as apposed to 30 or less.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    just in case anyone has read this thread... or cares...
    I got the used Yolo Yak... been out with it 2x... and I really like.
    IT is VERY heavy though.
    Specs say 60lbs... but I think it's more than that. I have a hard time handling.

Got a paddle too... Kialoa PuPu paddle... fiber glass... 80"...

Now my next purchase will be roof rack. That's a HUGE expense. Not sure why they are so expensive....
    Tried to use a friends old on... but wouldn't fit my car.
  • KCMinn
    Options
    Yes, I care! ;)

I just got a somewhat similar one this weekend. A hybrid by ocean kayak - Nalu 12.5

It's a little less heavy, about 50 lbs. Kinda hard to maneuver on land for me, since it's long. But I'm loving it in the water! I have an adjustable paddle which is nice for multiple users. Probably not the best out there, but it's working fine for now! I had to take what I could get! ;)

I'm using it on lakes here in the Northwoods. No major surf, although it can get windy and tricky still! I love that it can be used as a kayak as well!

Curious about the actual workout and calorie burn. I have a HRM which is water resistant, so I need to test that out just to see. It doesn't always seem to feel like a workout, but you know your core is having to work!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    Yes, I care! ;)

I just got a somewhat similar one this weekend. A hybrid by ocean kayak - Nalu 12.5

It's a little less heavy, about 50 lbs. Kinda hard to maneuver on land for me, since it's long. But I'm loving it in the water! I have an adjustable paddle which is nice for multiple users. Probably not the best out there, but it's working fine for now! I had to take what I could get! ;)

I'm using it on lakes here in the Northwoods. No major surf, although it can get windy and tricky still! I love that it can be used as a kayak as well!

Curious about the actual workout and calorie burn. I have a HRM which is water resistant, so I need to test that out just to see. It doesn't always seem to feel like a workout, but you know your core is having to work!

Awesome! Yeah I wear my HRM... It usually is a bigger burn than what MFP gives for kayaking. My HR doesn't get super high.... but usually about 400-500 cal burn for an hour of leisurely paddling.
    Mine is 50 or 60lbs. I can't lift it by myself... I have to have help. ugh! But it is wonderful on the water... very stable and turns easily.
    I use mine on the lake as well... no ocean yet... but hopefully later the summer.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I love it! I sup a short board; 8'6, 28" wide and about 4" thick, that can also be surfed. I SUP primarily in a lagoon and sometimes the ocean. The shorter board is more "work" at first to stabilize, but you will get used to whatever you have pretty quickly. Also, my board starts to submerge with anyone over about 140 lbs. on it.

OK, so you bought it; Yolo does make a good board, but yikes, 60 lbs is heavy! I've never SUPed a hybrid kayak before.

Ya roof racks by Thule or similar are expensive. If you don't want to splurge right now, you might be able to hit up a surf shop for the cheapie rubber straps version; you will have to ask advice on whether it will work for that big fella.

For you folks having a hard time handling the board; put it up on your head -- find the center of balance and hold on with one hand; carry the paddle with the other. I have carried boards up to 10'6 this way, and see many people carrying longer ones.

You could also have holes drilled and plugs installed and thread cords through in order to slide the paddle in and use as a handle, but at 50+ lbs, I'd still put it on my head.

have fun!
  • KCMinn
    Options
    Lol, I can't imagine putting the thing on my head! My hybrid is a bit of beast. If I try it, I'll be sure to take some video to share! ;)
  • KCMinn
    Options
    Yes, I care! ;)

Awesome! Yeah I wear my HRM... It usually is a bigger burn than what MFP gives for kayaking. My HR doesn't get super high.... but usually about 400-500 cal burn for an hour of leisurely paddling.
    Mine is 50 or 60lbs. I can't lift it by myself... I have to have help. ugh! But it is wonderful on the water... very stable and turns easily.
    I use mine on the lake as well... no ocean yet... but hopefully later the summer.

I did some paddling last weekend and finally remembered to test out the HRM with it! I burned just under 400 calories in an hour. I was pleasantly surprised actually; thought it would be much less. I managed to stay in the fitness zone for most of it (as opposed to lower HR in the fat burning zone). I was mostly 'trying' to keep my HR up though too, and keep moving. Definitely wasn't racing or fleeing from sharks, but I wasn't just floating around.... I was on a lake with wind and some resistance, but no major white caps or anything.
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    BUMP for info...
  • angfish
    angfish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in SUP lately and a friend shared this site with me...http://distressedmullet.com/
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping...for info...I'd really, really love to get into this sport. I live near an ocean and see them out there all the time, looks like so much fun!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    I love it! I sup a short board; 8'6, 28" wide and about 4" thick, that can also be surfed. I SUP primarily in a lagoon and sometimes the ocean. The shorter board is more "work" at first to stabilize, but you will get used to whatever you have pretty quickly. Also, my board starts to submerge with anyone over about 140 lbs. on it.

OK, so you bought it; Yolo does make a good board, but yikes, 60 lbs is heavy! I've never SUPed a hybrid kayak before.

Ya roof racks by Thule or similar are expensive. If you don't want to splurge right now, you might be able to hit up a surf shop for the cheapie rubber straps version; you will have to ask advice on whether it will work for that big fella.

For you folks having a hard time handling the board; put it up on your head -- find the center of balance and hold on with one hand; carry the paddle with the other. I have carried boards up to 10'6 this way, and see many people carrying longer ones.

You could also have holes drilled and plugs installed and thread cords through in order to slide the paddle in and use as a handle, but at 50+ lbs, I'd still put it on my head.

have fun!

LOL... I dont think I could balance it on my head....12' long... 60+lbs... quite cumbersome...
    I just try to park as close as i can to the water. LOL...
    maybe one day if I build up more upper body strength.

I ended up getting a rack for my car... Rhino-Rack..REALLY nice looking. Got a descent price from Autoanything.com... $260... half of what a Thule or Yakima is.
    Only thing is that it doesn't have a fairing.. so it gets kinda loud driving at higher speeds. But that ain't no big thing...
    ;)
  • _Kitten_Kate
    Options
    bumping...for info...I'd really, really love to get into this sport. I live near an ocean and see them out there all the time, looks like so much fun!

Check Craigslist...
    I put a "wanted" ad up... and that's how I got the yolo....
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This is great! SUP is on my bucket list for this summer.... there's a place down the road from me that rents them and does lessons. There is also a yoga place that has yoga classes on the boards. I'm definitely going to try it out now!