A dinner so good I just have to share! How about YOU?

Options
dorothytd
dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
Tonight we made our own version of a "burrito bowl" - similar to Chipotle. Hubbie made Alton Brown's baked brown rice, I jazzed up some black beans and made my first batch of homemade salsa/pico. Add spice-rubbed freshly grilled chicken, a little cheese and reduced-fat sour cream to finish off the dish. A huge bowl was under 500 calories and it was worth the work. The only problem is that my husband liked it so much he will want me to cook more, go to Chipotle less. :smile:

But the great thing was that we had the ingredients in the house. When we SHOP healthier, we eat healthier. And it IS better than going out. What did you "throw" together for dinner recently from food you had on hand?

Replies

• amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sticking with the mexican theme, last week I made what I like to refer to as - the healthy version of a Crunchwrap - like what you get from Taco Bell.

I took two light tortilla wraps (110cals each), and put in between them (much like a quesadilla):

Cooked Pork Mince (can use any type of ground meat)
    Diced tomatoes
    Diced bell peppers (capsicum)
    Diced Avocado
    Edam cheese (or any other reduced fat cheese)
    little Salt n pepper
    Chilli flakes
    chopped fresh corriander

I lightly sprayed a pan with a little oil and then toasted the whole thing (both sides) until the cheese was melting. mmm, was so good and tasty! I think the peppers gave it that crunch you usually get from the cornchips in a crunchwrap.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Salmon sauteed in butter
    Cauliflower/cheese casserole (1st time trying it)
    Salad
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Had a quick bean stew sort of meal that I threw together last night.

Can Pinto beans
    Can black eyed beans
    Can broad beans
    Can haricot beans
    Stock cubes of choice
    Garlic
    Mixed herbs
    Plum tomatoes
    Sweet Potatoes, chopped
    Fresh spinach
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Mushrooms
    Runner beans
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do something similar. Inspired by a local chain here called Hot Head Burrito (Like Chipotle). I make my own Pico de Gallo and cook rice along with some chicken or steak with some taco seasoning. Some shredded lettuce and a bit of salsa. Turns out great.

Homemade Pico tastes great and is incredibly cheap to make.
  • dorothytd
    Options
    Salmon sauteed in butter
    Cauliflower/cheese casserole (1st time trying it)
    Salad

How was the casserole? If good - recipe? Thanks!!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    Sticking with the mexican theme, last week I made what I like to refer to as - the healthy version of a Crunchwrap - like what you get from Taco Bell.

I took two light tortilla wraps (110cals each), and put in between them (much like a quesadilla):

Cooked Pork Mince (can use any type of ground meat)
    Diced tomatoes
    Diced bell peppers (capsicum)
    Diced Avocado
    Edam cheese (or any other reduced fat cheese)
    little Salt n pepper
    Chilli flakes
    chopped fresh corriander

I lightly sprayed a pan with a little oil and then toasted the whole thing (both sides) until the cheese was melting. mmm, was so good and tasty! I think the peppers gave it that crunch you usually get from the cornchips in a crunchwrap.

This sounds good! I don'tt think I've ever had Edam!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    I do something similar. Inspired by a local chain here called Hot Head Burrito (Like Chipotle). I make my own Pico de Gallo and cook rice along with some chicken or steak with some taco seasoning. Some shredded lettuce and a bit of salsa. Turns out great.

Homemade Pico tastes great and is incredibly cheap to make.

The Pico made the dish. Will definitely do that again!
  • dorothytd
    Options

Can Pinto beans
    Can black eyed beans
    Can broad beans
    Can haricot beans
    Stock cubes of choice
    Garlic
    Mixed herbs
    Plum tomatoes
    Sweet Potatoes, chopped
    Fresh spinach
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Mushrooms
    Runner beans
  • dorothytd
    Options

Can Pinto beans
    Can black eyed beans
    Can broad beans
    Can haricot beans
    Stock cubes of choice
    Garlic
    Mixed herbs
    Plum tomatoes
    Sweet Potatoes, chopped
    Fresh spinach
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Mushrooms
    Runner beans

Wow! I am going to try something like this - especially before all the veggies in my fridge expire. Thanks!
  • Aquaduckie
    Aquaduckie Posts: 115
    Options
    That sounds really delicious! I might have to do something similar for lunch tomorrow. I think I have all those things on hand. I might go with the Quinoa and Black Bean salad I made today and throw is some chicken and cheese and sour cream. Mmmm
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I wish we had chipotle in the UK, I tried it on holiday in NY and it was amazing. VERY big though!!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    I wish we had chipotle in the UK, I tried it on holiday in NY and it was amazing. VERY big though!!

They DO give you a lot of food! If I'm being good, I only eat half... but that is VERY difficult. Homemade was very similar and had less calories. I highly recommend giving it a try!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    That sounds really delicious! I might have to do something similar for lunch tomorrow. I think I have all those things on hand. I might go with the Quinoa and Black Bean salad I made today and throw is some chicken and cheese and sour cream. Mmmm

That sounds great! I've been making so much quinoa and black beans lately that we had the brown rice for something different! Guacamole is really good wi quinoa and black beans, too...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

They DO give you a lot of food! If I'm being good, I only eat half... but that is VERY difficult. Homemade was very similar and had less calories. I highly recommend giving it a try!

I'll give it a go. Plus side on size is that they dont sell tortillas that big over here,lol. I finished one full meal while i was in the US,lol. I got the weirdest look for turning down a free dessert,lol.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    c'mon people... talking about your meal just isn't as good as SHOWING us! Take some pics and come over to the 'show us your meal' thread!!!
  • dorothytd
    Options
    c'mon people... talking about your meal just isn't as good as SHOWING us! Take some pics and come over to the 'show us your meal' thread!!!

I ate it too fast. And for some reason I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options

ohh oohh!! i didn't know there was already a thread for this! I just posted one - I must find it! MY KIND OF THREAD! :)