What's the scoop on peanut butter?

Options
I always heard that peanut butter made a good snack...such as having it with celery or just eating it by itself. I was about to buy these little Jif peanut butter snack packs....well one snack pack is 250 cal...180 from fat. I guess my question is.. Peanut butter....is it a good addition to eating healthy or not. I am new to this "eating healthy" so if you have any other tips, please share :-)

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Nuts have protein and good fats so yes it is healthy but just watch the amount of sugar that is added.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I always heard that peanut butter made a good snack...such as having it with celery or just eating it by itself. I was about to buy these little Jif peanut butter snack packs....well one snack pack is 250 cal...180 from fat. I guess my question is.. Peanut butter....is it a good addition to eating healthy or not. I am new to this "eating healthy" so if you have any other tips, please share :-)

All natural peanut butter is the only way to go... the ones you have to stir up and refrigerate. The ingredient list should say only "Peanuts."

All the other kinds have hydrogenated oils, sugar and salt added. Not so healthy.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I often see people recommend PB as a way to get protein. I don't see the point since the majority of it's composition is fat. If your dieting, PB isn't going to be something you indulge in because it's so calorie dense. There's always an exception to the rule...I'm not saying it's absolute.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's amazing stuff and I could easily crack a jar, and eat the whole thing in a matter of minutes :) With fluff, banana, bread, and all sorts of other things :) mmm!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I often see people recommend PB as a way to get protein. I don't see the point since the majority of it's composition is fat. If your dieting, PB isn't going to be something you indulge in because it's so calorie dense. There's always an exception to the rule...I'm not saying it's absolute.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's amazing stuff and I could easily crack a jar, and eat the whole thing in a matter of minutes :) With fluff, banana, bread, and all sorts of other things :) mmm!

I agree. I LOVE peanut butter and only buy the "all natural" kind (the one referred to on one of the posts). I don't have it often and when I do, I only have a little and build it into my daily calorie/fat/carb intake. I just make it work as there is something about peanut butter, some banana and bread that make my taste buds very happy.
  • narick
    narick Posts: 23
    Options

THANK YOU!!!! someone else who understands that PB is a fat not a protein.
    Peanut Butter is a great way to fit your fat macro. Go ahead and eat that Jif snack if it fits your macros. Everything is healthy in moderation.
  • momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of peanut butter. That being said, I don't go overboard with it (at least, I don't think I do). I really enjoy PB&Js, PB on rice cakes.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

yes it IS healthy but if you are on a calorie controlled diet,you might as well eat peanut M&m's...as you say, the calorie and fat content ( ok, it's ''good fat'') are just too high. It's also the first food people suggest for a protein boost...
  • Rahneene
    Rahneene Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is friggin' awesome, but too calorically dense for my diet. It is fairly healthy in moderation but there are much better sources of protein. I could easily pack away 1000 calories of it at one sitting. Soon, I plan to eat my entire day's worth of calories in peanut butter, just to see if I can get rid of my cravings....
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I get my PB fix with PB2 which is 1/2 the calories of regular PB.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What is PB2, i see that listed a lot. Jif creamy lover here
  • Krjordan22
    Krjordan22 Posts: 6
    Options
    Everything in moderation......
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It is yummmyy
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What is PB2, i see that listed a lot. Jif creamy lover here

powdered peanut butter. I believe defatted peanut flour is a generic name for it. It's pretty good. I dip my apple slice in it. Also good in shakes, etc.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    pB2 is powdered peanut butter that has a fraction of the calories/fat of peanut butter.......It's not the same but it's not too bad either.
  • Krjordan22
    Krjordan22 Posts: 6
    Options
    PB2 is a dehyrated PB product....
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Take away my cookies. Take away my sodas. Take away my chips.

But if you try to take away my peanut butter, it's going down. :)

I have the natural PB now and then.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

All natural peanut butter is the only way to go... the ones you have to stir up and refrigerate. The ingredient list should say only "Peanuts."

All the other kinds have hydrogenated oils, sugar and salt added. Not so healthy.

My all natural PB is about 90 calories a tablespoon.I use it to meet my fat macros and does have "good" fats plus it helps keep you satiated so for me it is a good addition.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is awesome, although not extremely filling alone or with celery. Usually I eat 1-2 tablespoons on whole wheat/high protein bread.
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!!! someone else who understands that PB is a fat not a protein.
    Peanut Butter is a great way to fit your fat macro. Go ahead and eat that Jif snack if it fits your macros. Everything is healthy in moderation.
    Actually when i had gestational diabetes peanut butter was part of my diet as a protein. Just eat it in moderation and enjoy, it's great on a banana!