2 1/2 weeks of Atkins Induction Experiment

Options
DB_1106
DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
Well, I am done with my 2 1/2 week experiment I did on the Atkins diet. For 17 days I did an exclusive low carbohydrate diet consisting of below 20 carbs a day. Most of my meals consisted of meats such as hamburger, steak, chicken, fish, pepperoni and cheeses like mozzerella, american, cheddar. I did not take the recommended 15 carbs a day from vegetables but did eat salads with lots of ranch dressing, if that counts.

Here are some of the things I personally experienced and did during these 17 days:

1. I dropped about 16 pounds in those 17 days.
2. I did not really care too much about tracking my calories, only my carb intake.
3. It took 2 days before I was in full ketosis and checked daily using urine ketosis test strips.
4. I did not cheat not once during this experiment. I strictly kept my carbs below 20 per day and was in constant ketosis.
5. I did consume alcohol during this time. No beer, but vodka. The vodka and diet sprite mix did not effect my ketosis.
6. I drank nothing but water (except for my vodka/diet sprites). I averaged about 130 ounces per day.
7. The 2nd day of no carbs I was feeling pretty down and drained on energy levels. After that, my energy levels came back to normal and have been there since.
8. Bowell movements slowed down quite a bit. It was always unexpected when they would show up.
9. I lost 1.5 inches in waist measurements, 1.25 inches in hip measurements, and .75 in neck measurements.
10. My clothes definitely feel loser.
11. Even though I did not care about my calorie intake, I did track them and I found that I was consistantly staying under about 1,800 calories per day.
12. There were times that I had to force myself to eat. I just was not hungry at all. I took alot to even meet my goal of 1840 calories per day. I really could have been fine and full on about 1200-1500 per day.
13. The food choices did get very boring, but my wife was very very creative with low carb recipes and I could see myself living eating this way for quite sometime if I had to.
14. I did not do too much exercise during these 17 days besides playing the drums and basic work functions.
15. I really really miss a Tropical Smoothie Pineapple Delight made with Splenda.

I'm sure there are other things that I am leaving out, but these were a few that I wanted to share so people can get some kind of idea what low carb is all about if they never tried it.

Starting tomorrow I am raising my carbs up to about 90-100 to see what happens. I am still going to limit my breads and pastas to pretty much none just because I would rather spend my calories on something more nutritious. The more I look at bread and pastas, I do not really see any reason to even eat them unless you love the taste. I cannot find much they help with our bodies and I do not think you get the bang for your buck with them. Most of my carbs will be coming from fruit.

My thoughts from my own experience on a ketosis diet plan is that it still comes down to calories in / calories out to a certain degree. I am sure people who are insulin resistant could benefit greatly from a ketosis diet, but in the end I think the reason I lost weight was due to always feeling full and basically not eating. Now that I have somewhat of a benchmark to go by with a low carb diet, I can track for another 2-3 weeks with my carbs at 90-100 and see the results.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if you'd do an experiment with south beach diet. I'd be interested to see a similar analysis. :-). Thanks for this.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    I'd love it if you'd do an experiment with south beach diet. I'd be interested to see a similar analysis. :-). Thanks for this.

Let me look into it and I just may do that.
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I would not suggest going on the Atkins diet long-term unless you are being monitored by a doctor. Back in 1999, I lost 100 lbs on the Atkins diet over a nine month period. I thought it was great. Didn't miss the bread or pasta at all and was rarely hungry. Then came my first (of many) kidney stone attacks. Over the next 10 years I had to have outpatient surgery at least once a year, sometimes twice a year to have my kidney stones broken up so they could pass. Not a fun time... I've been OK the last few years, but have also gained back the 100 pounds I originally lost. Now I'm going for the old fashioned calorie counting and exercising a bit more.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    Glad to hear you have been ok the last few years, but in regards to gaining the 100 lbs back, I am curious did you gain them back because you introduced carbs back into your diet or because you went back to old eating habits where you were taking in more calories than burned?
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My wife also had a kidney stone while on Atkins. I lost a ton on Atkins years ago and it was easy, but my cholesterol spiked and I was put on a statin. Now I'm just watching calories and not eating cholesterol (well, very little-just what's in a protein shake) and don't take a statin.
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    Mainly old eating habits. I didn't start back on carbs gradually, because I'm an idiot. One of my kids got a job at Wienerschnitzel and I like to blame them for introducing me to chili cheese fries. I didn't gain it all back immediately. Kept telling myself that losing the100 was so easy I could lose it again. Like I said total idiot.
  • DB_1106
    Options
    I wouldn't call you an idiot. We are all here right now trying to lose weight because good fattening sweet calorie ridden food is hard to resist - bottom line. If it wasn't we would all be pencil thin.

Good luck on your journey. You have to do what feels right to you. You know your body like no one else.
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    Thanks! Good Luck to you too!!
  • juicengrilledcheese
    juicengrilledcheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got on the induction two days ago. I don't like to eat red meat and I don't eat any chicken and love whole grains and fruits so this is hard for me, but I think my body responds to only cutting carbs or low calorie. While I am not feeling hungry, my resting heart rate is a ton faster (it's usually 50 and now 80-85) and I am feeling tired. This is my 3rd day. I'm wondering if you had a similar experience. thanks
  • smyv92608
    smyv92608 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.. I've also had luck with Atkins. Now if I could only stick with it, and make it a lifestyle,, I try to remember how good I felt after a few days on Atkins, the water weight is the first to go and it feels good not to be bloated all of the time. It's also nice not to feel hungry or have cravings.. I think you guys just inspired me to start cutting the carbs again.. I think the only thing that I will miss is Smoothie King (I love that place)..
  • GrapeDanes
    Options
    I'm just starting out myself, day 2 of Atkins induction, it's kicking my butt. I wanted to ask of anyone has tried the isopure 0 carb protein for shakes while on the diet. I've been using them to meet my cravings for a better drink, but wasn't sure if anyone had Uaed them on Atkins before. Please let me know!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    "DB_1106 has deactivated their account."
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    "DB_1106 has deactivated their account."
    this forum is from a year and a half ago...
  • ni1966
    ni1966 Posts: 17
    Options
    Day 5 of Atkins, lost 2lbs, is this normal or slow?
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh damn. I didn't notice this forum was so old until Damir00 mentioned it. I really enjoyed this thread. :(
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest going on the Atkins diet long-term unless you are being monitored by a doctor. Back in 1999, I lost 100 lbs on the Atkins diet over a nine month period. I thought it was great. Didn't miss the bread or pasta at all and was rarely hungry. Then came my first (of many) kidney stone attacks. Over the next 10 years I had to have outpatient surgery at least once a year, sometimes twice a year to have my kidney stones broken up so they could pass. Not a fun time..

My wife also had a kidney stone while on Atkins. I lost a ton on Atkins years ago and it was easy, but my cholesterol spiked and I was put on a statin. Now I'm just watching calories and not eating cholesterol (well, very little-just what's in a protein shake) and don't take a statin.

Make that 3 !!
    On Atkins, my brother had 2 rounds of kidney stones. Was only in his 30s !!
    He's always been healthy, not overly overweight. Only 20-25 lbs extra
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Most people who blame Atkins for their health problems didn't follow the program correctly and thought you were supposed to eat tons of protein. Atkins is actually low carb, moderate protein and high fat. There are 4 phases and you start adding carbs after 2 weeks of induction. I've done it for many years will no ill effects, but I follow It to a tee.
  • bodsquadgirl
    bodsquadgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So your fat macros should be higher than protein macro? I am doing 20 net carbs currently...only on day 4 of atkins induction....not sure if Im doing it to a tee but Im just finding information online...I've lost 3 lbs so far...I was expecting more but not sure what the norm is...
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I starting low carb/ atkins two days ago.. so excited. love it! I did it before and it works! :wink:
  • HSM1982
    HSM1982 Posts: 7
    Options
    I just started induction today and I am not too worried about kidney stones as I had two last year on my high carbohydrate and alcohol diet. I went from 230 to 136 over a period of five years and have since gained about 42 pounds in the last five years. I have always enjoyed the idea of reducing carbohydrates and sugars as I don't think they should be as prevalent in the human diet.