Does walking & running help you to lose belly fat at all?

Options
Walking has always been my exercise of choice-now that I'm getting back on track & trying to lose about 30 pounds, I have slowly started adding some running to my routine....my biggest problem area is my belly....I know that I need to do abdominal exercises as well, but will walking & running help also?

Replies

• mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY. You can do as many ab/core routines as you want, but if you are not adding in cardio it will do nothing. Cardio and diet are the ONLY ways to shed the excess fat/skin on your stomach area. Once that happens, then the ab workouts will help you to define your muscles! "Abs are made in the kitchen" :) good luck!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Sure it does. As long as you don't eat more than you burn, any exercise will burn fat in your body. But there is no way to "spot reduce" the belly fat. The amount taken from different parts of your body is pretty much determined by genetics and hormones. Stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline do tend to contribute toward a tendency to belly fat, so reducing them is a good way to fight belly bulge. Do that by avoiding stressful situations and by exercising! Exercise releases endorphins which fight those stress hormones.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen" :)

Like this :happy:
  • WONTED
    WONTED Posts: 5
    Options
    Girl_crying.gif?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Definately YES!!!!

I started walking Christmas Eve of last year and I haven't stopped since. My belly was, sadly, HUGE. Big enough to make my sn on here NoIJustLookPregnant!!!! I looked like a robin. :( I have lost 33 lbs and NINE inches off my belly. I've toned up my legs and even my arms. I went from a size 16 to a 10, can't fit into any of my old clothes and I feel great and have tons more energy. Granted, I walk about 4 miles a day on average. I started running a few weeks ago but tripped over my dog and hurt my knee and shoulder so I haven't had time to tell how much that will help. I'm still walking though (with a goal of walking 25 miles per week, 100 per month, 1,000 per year!!) and will run again when I get the ok to do so.

I'm just about ready to change my name on here because I don't look pregnant anymore! lol

YOU can do this just by walking. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because I'm proof that it works!
    You can find time to get in walks more often than you think. I never sit in waiting rooms anymore. Even if it's for my own appointment, I give them my cell phone number and I take off walking wherever. They call me when it's time for my appointment and I hurry back. I have added nearly half an hour of walking each time I've done that alone.

Eventually I plan on adding some strength exercises but it's hard since I have injuries to deal with. Until then, I'll just keep on walking! And swimming when it gets warmer out!

Good luck and <hugs> to you! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • mrsRhughes
    Options
    It is SO true! It's one of my favorite quotes!
  • mrsRhughes
    Options
    Definately YES!!!!

I started walking Christmas Eve of last year and I haven't stopped since. My belly was, sadly, HUGE. Big enough to make my sn on here NoIJustLookPregnant!!!! I looked like a robin. :( I have lost 33 lbs and NINE inches off my belly. I've toned up my legs and even my arms. I went from a size 16 to a 10, can't fit into any of my old clothes and I feel great and have tons more energy. Granted, I walk about 4 miles a day on average. I started running a few weeks ago but tripped over my dog and hurt my knee and shoulder so I haven't had time to tell how much that will help. I'm still walking though (with a goal of walking 25 miles per week, 100 per month, 1,000 per year!!) and will run again when I get the ok to do so.

I'm just about ready to change my name on here because I don't look pregnant anymore! lol

YOU can do this just by walking. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because I'm proof that it works!
    You can find time to get in walks more often than you think. I never sit in waiting rooms anymore. Even if it's for my own appointment, I give them my cell phone number and I take off walking wherever. They call me when it's time for my appointment and I hurry back. I have added nearly half an hour of walking each time I've done that alone.

Eventually I plan on adding some strength exercises but it's hard since I have injuries to deal with. Until then, I'll just keep on walking! And swimming when it gets warmer out!

Good luck and <hugs> to you! YOU CAN DO IT!

I really wish there were a 'like' button on here (like facebook!) ... your story made me smile. And I hope you DO change your name, even though it is super cute!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot reduce", which is influence where the fat comes off. If your body decides that you lose fat behind your ears and between toes before your belly, nothing you can do will change that.

With that said, running and walking are great ways to get your heart rate up and to burn fat. Reducing your body fat % will inevitably eventually reduce your belly fat, so all's good :)

Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you do not have to eat clean to lose belly fat.. nor do you have to spend hours doing cardio or do specific ab workouts.

Heres what I recommend:
    Moderate deficit(250-500 calorie deficit a day)
    Cardio 1-2 days a week.
    Heavy Lifting
    1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass

Personally, I do not eat clean(hate veggies, eat some fruit, but for the most part eat processed "non clean foods") and the only time I do ab work is with my trainer. I lost my love handles, have a small waist and have a pretty flat stomach.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce... So walking and running (which burn WAY more calories than traditional ab exercises) are BETTER for reducing overall body fat AND belly fat. Ab strengthening is important for balance, but its only a fraction of fitness.
  • Lisa_licious
    Options
    What a great idea about the waiting room! I think its time to start setting some walking goals for myself ..... keep us posted on your progress!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It helps if you swing your arms while you walk. That twists the abdominal area a bit and helps burn more calories.

No, I'm not just being silly.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Walking is one of the most effective ways to lose weight ... once you are closer to your goal, and if you desire a " stronger " appearance ... then you should consider weight training. But, the general idea is to lose the unwanted fat where ever it may be on your body ... by implementing a good cardio ( walking / running ) ... raising your heartbeat for at least 30 min a day through a work out will increase your efforts towards weight loss.

Be sure to fuel your body with protein throughout the day and more importantly after a good workout ... you want to build the existing muscle and remain in " fat loss " mode.

Best of luck ! :flowerforyou:
  • ryandylan
    ryandylan Posts: 62
    Options
    It helps if you swing your arms while you walk. That twists the abdominal area a bit and helps burn more calories.

I actually do this & I feel like a moron, but my treadmill is in my garage, so no one can see me anyway!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I actually do this & I feel like a moron, but my treadmill is in my garage, so no one can see me anyway!

If you do it on the sidewalk in public and smile real big and open your eyes real wide, people get out of your way and you don't have to break stride when walking in a crowd.

:bigsmile:
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It will take off overall, but if you want clear definition and toning, specific weight training or other core work may help. I've lost a ton with walking and/or running though. Swinging arms helps (easier to do when walking than running, imo), especially in defining a waist.

I've lost 40 lbs now, and that's due to diet and exercise (which is pretty much 90% cardio - walking and running). Keep it up!
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hate to disagree with mrsRhughes,because looking at her is a site to behold as far as an in shape woman goes.BUT only exercise I do is walking.About 2-3 miles a day.Usually on treadmill. I mix up speeds and inclines.Never below 3.5 mph....average incline about 4.5-5%.But will take it up to 10% for 4 or 5 min until I feel like I am going to collapse.Anyhow with that said I have gone from a 42" waist to a 34" waist.Lost tons of belly fat and still losing it.I have lost a total of 72 lbs total using just walking and eating right.39lbs since I joined MFP.So yes walking does work,very well.May take a little longer but it works.I have P90X but havent dared to try it yet.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Definitely! In fact, since you're doing both, do BOTH! Look up High Intensity Interval Training that incorporates sprinting and brisk walking. Great fat burner. :happy: