Caffeine, good on diet or not while on diet.

Options
In the past people use to say if you are on a diet, don't have Caffeine. Now I am hearing just the oposit.

What is the story?
Do you have any links to back up the story?

Thanks,

Replies

• NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This study suggests that caffeine promotes weight loss without adverse effects.
    http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12032741/reload=0;jsessionid=DXCOQ7tXyw5VlpXiwSfz.8

This study says the same. It also adds that in women who drink little caffeine, drinking green tea can help with weight maintenance/loss
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v13/n7/abs/oby2005142a.html

This study also says that caffeine is good for weight loss, adding that it is effective enough to warrant it as a weight loss drug
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1467-789x.2001.00038.x/abstract;jsessionid=CF0AE47B5AA54CBCE9F8FB2011AF9C8E.d03t04?userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=

Searching Google Scholar will give you quite a few hits. These were just on the first page, and there are still many more.

However, it would appear that caffeine does indeed aid weight loss.
  • rwblue
    rwblue Posts: 5
    Options
    Looks like I need to start getting some caffeine in my life.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is fine, the thing to think about is how you drink it :) You need to make sure you count your Milk and sugar intake.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker. The way I figure it, good for you or not, I'm pretty much going to drink it anyway, so I might as well have a couple cups or so about an hour or two before my workout. It's got to be one of the more safe pre-workout stimulants on the market. I have heard people say that it can stall your weight loss, but I'm pretty sure that's load of #2. I haven't suffered anything resembling a weight loss stall or plateau yet.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    one's got nothing to do with the other.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is good for life.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    People got all weird on me when I switched from Dr Pepper to tea as my main drink. They told me "Tea still has caffeine in it!"
    So? I was trying to get rid of excess sugar intake, not caffeine. I can drink tea with little to no sugar in it. I can't stand Diet Dr Pepper.
  • phiddy23
    phiddy23 Posts: 103
    Options
    Caffeine is fine pretty much because it acts as an appetite suppressant, but obviously it's not good for you if you are having a full fat vanilla latte every morning. I'm addicted to earl grey tea with a bit of skim milk and no sugar, it's awesome - gives me energy and stops me craving food between breakfast and lunch.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Considering caffeine is the active ingredient in all major weight loss pills, there's nothing wrong with caffeine itself. It's where you're getting it from that can be detrimental to your progress, ie Soda/Energy Drinks .

If you're getting it from Tea or regular brewed coffee, it's perfectly fine and adds a bit of pep to your step when you need it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It's the cheapest and best stimulant you can buy.
    also helpful after adjusting protein up to 30-40% of your caloric goal.
    Caffein as a diuretic and can help keep you "normal".
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have a blog covering just about everything on caffeine
    As far as diet, just consume a regular amount at the same time(s) each day, there is a slight metabolic effect raising BMR by a meager few percentages, which can buy you like an extra 50kcal a day or so (not that helpful, but it is something)

I use caffeine to be smarter than I normally would be
  • Pookah77
    Pookah77 Posts: 4
    Options
    It affects everyone differently! I find, that if I drink too much caffeine (man, I love coffee!), my blood sugar drops, and I am ravenous! And by ravenous, I mean I need something with sugar, and quickly, or I feel sick. So, I limit my consumption. No, I'm not diabetic :)

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5247094_caffeine-stimulate-appetite_.html
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    Good, because without it, the resultant headache and fatigue does no good for my activity level.
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    good. that's all.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific proof but I think it helps with weight loss. It also helps with the occasional bloat or "irregularity" that I get from eating too much salt or protein.

AND I think it helps make my work outs more intense.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is great for dieting. And sanity :-) Just be sure to log it(oh and I never count caffeinated drinks towards my water intake)
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    It's the cheapest and best stimulant you can buy.
    also helpful after adjusting protein up to 30-40% of your caloric goal.
    Caffein as a diuretic and can help keep you "normal".

Just a tidbit: Diuretic means it makes you pee. It does also have a laxative effect, but that's not to do with diuretics.
  • ssstefanieee
    ssstefanieee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Research supports caffiene as a weight loss tool, from personal experience it has helped me. I don't drink soda or coffee so I have limited caffiene in my diet...but I take a caffiene pill in the morning to give me he engery to push through AM workouts
  • Maverick60
    Maverick60 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    very good.
    don't confuse caffiene with coffee though, as has been pointed out a lattte is not going to lose you a pound. Pro plus or whatever caffiene pill is available to you will speed up your metabolism a little and caffiene also triggers your body to burn fat tissue rather than the carbs in your body (oversimplification but essentially right). Curious point; all over the world coca cola is the number one soft drink except in Scotland where it is Irn Bru - Irn Bru contains about half as much caffiene again as coke (118mg as opposed to 80ish). oddly even Red Bull doesn't contain that much. Sugar free Irn Bru anyone?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulate which is suppose to give you some xtra boost during your work out. Too much caffeine for professionals is considered doping. In the olympics anyways.

heres a quote

Caffeine can be considered as a doping substance because the IOC (International Olympic Committee) found that high doses of caffeine were taken by athletes for its exciting effects: the caffeine was administered mainly in the form of pharmaceutical products (e.g. pads).

In order not to prohibit the possibility of drinking caffeinated beverages, the IOC fixed a minimum value of 12 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of urine: only if the concentration of caffeine in an athlete's urine sample exceeds this value the result of the control is declared positive. In truth it’s not possible to determine with certainty which is the coffee amount that can reach that level, so to the athletes is advised not to ingest more than 6-8 espresso cups during the three hours before a sporting event.

Caffeine, in particular, can have positive effects on performance by improving focus and strength in the long term (e.g. cycling), even if with a high variability from person to person. After the oral caffeine intake, it’s detectable in the blood within 5 minutes: then it persists for several hours (the caffeine halves it’s life into the bloods in a 3 to 6 hours).

from here http://www.coind.it/en/blog-coind-group-post/pagine/378/Is-caffeine-a-doping-substance