Substitute for edamame?

Options
obsidianwings
obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
There is a edmame fried rice recipe on skinnytaste.com that I really want to try, but I can't get edamame. I haven't even tasted edamame, so not sure what would be the best substitute. What would be a good substitute to edamame both taste and nutrition wise? Thanks

Replies

• raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    can't or dont want to it should be frozen by veggies. The best I can think of is green peas but they do not have as much protein.....
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Fresh, young fava beans would be good, but extra work. Any bean you like would be good, but edamame probably has the most protein. I'm not a fan of including a lot of soy in my diet, but we all need to chose what's right for us.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Can't, I have looked everywhere around where I am, its not available. We have a new supermarket opening later in the year, I hope I will be able to get them then.
    I will look into young fava beans thanks.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Green peas and fresh fava are good suggestions. Or fresh chickpeas. What kind of fresh peas/beans can you get?
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Maybe I will do a mix of green peas and fava beans. I know I can get green peas, chickpeas, cannelini beans, butter beans and kidney beans. I think I can get fava and black beans also. I need to have a good look around at the shop to see if theres anything else available.