Standing up all day?

Options
Ok, here is the thing. I have a desk job. I sit all day. But, I can change the height of my desk in case I prefer to stand instead of sit. So do you think standing at my desk all day would burn more calories than sitting at my desk? How do I estimate how much more calories I would be burning? I have no HRM - is that the only way to measure the difference, if there is any difference, that is.

Replies

• erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a difference! My heart rate is usually around 80 when I'm sitting down, and when I'm standing up it's around 95. That difference over 8 hours would surely be something!

I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. They're worth it!
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a difference! My heart rate is usually around 80 when I'm sitting down, and when I'm standing up it's around 95. That difference over 8 hours would surely be something!

I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. They're worth it!

Yes, I really want to get one and planned to do so this month but my daughter broke my smartphone so had to replace that instead :( Maybe next month though!
  • appi1981
    appi1981 Posts: 45
    Options
    You def need a hrm as everyone s heart rate beats at a different rate so your individual burn rate Will be different, i personally wouldn't stand as your legs Will just ache from it and stop you doing actual exercise unless you are gonna stand and do squat s or star jumps but then you'll just look nuts! Can you not run or walk to work!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    You def need a hrm as everyone s heart rate beats at a different rate so your individual burn rate Will be different, i personally wouldn't stand as your legs Will just ache from it and stop you doing actual exercise unless you are gonna stand and do squat s or star jumps but then you'll just look nuts! Can you not run or walk to work!

I can't walk to work, i have to take the train as it is too far :-/ I just really hate sitting all day, I wish I had a more active job :(
  • appi1981
    appi1981 Posts: 45
    Options
    Nightmare! Give it a go then try mixing it up doing jogging on spot things like that but get a hrm as as you'll know exactly what you've burned
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Nightmare! Give it a go then try mixing it up doing jogging on spot things like that but get a hrm as as you'll know exactly what you've burned

Thanks, that is agood advice! I was up for 1 hour just now printing and filing, I think i will try to incorporate at least 3 such hours in my 8-hour workday. I hope this will help a bit. I really would like to get out of Sedentary and into Lightly Active activity level.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk that I can stand up at and it makes a huge difference in my energy level I noticed. Objects in motion stay in motion and I believe the same is true for objects who aren't in motion! I generally stand for an hour in the morning and probably close to two hours in the afternoon. I accomplish more work while I'm standing and at the end of the day I don't feel nearly as wiped out as I used to. It's also helped relieve the back pain I was having in my lower back. Give it a go. Even if it doesn't burn a load of calories it will help your overall being.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Thanks for this - i have the same problem with back-pain and am hoping standing up would help with that so what you said gives me hope! I guess the extra calories for me are just and indicator if I would be increasing my activity level :D
  • romoli
    romoli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about sitting on an exercise ball at work. I know my sister does this. She's a tri-athlete. She says that you are constantly balancing and your posture is much better as well as your core strength.... just a thought?
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Have you thought about sitting on an exercise ball at work. I know my sister does this. She's a tri-athlete. She says that you are constantly balancing and your posture is much better as well as your core strength.... just a thought?

That is a good idea... I am not sure how it would be accepted in my company though (very strict and formal company culture :( )
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A HRM will not really help with this. It is only useful for cardio. If you go by the calls it says you burn you will be massively over eating and so will put on weight. Also any benefits you will get from standing all day will definitely be cancelled out by the aches and pains you will get from standing for 8 hours meaning you will not be able to excercise properly as you should. I say sit down and relax at work and try to be a little more active when you are not at work. :flowerforyou:
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    A HRM will not really help with this. It is only useful for cardio. If you go by the calls it says you burn you will be massively over eating and so will put on weight. Also any benefits you will get from standing all day will definitely be cancelled out by the aches and pains you will get from standing for 8 hours meaning you will not be able to excercise properly as you should. I say sit down and relax at work and try to be a little more active when you are not at work. :flowerforyou:

Thank you, that is wonderful advice! Unfortunately my personal circumstances limit what I can do after work, so I have to try and create activity where I can IYKWIM...
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing....I can actually do simple workouts and pace/walk at work. Here lately I have pushed the chairs out of they way and I stand, walk, do lunges, push ups squats. I spent a year and a half sitting all night at my post...no more.
  • LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou
    LastTenPoundsGodDamnYou Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep I hear you. I have had to quit gyming it due to injury and I agree anything you can do is better than doing nowt, I just wouldn't want you to end up exhaused after work or hurting your back and knees standing. Make sure you wear good supportive custioned shoes. Good luck with it all!
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will just try to have an hour in the morning and another in the afternoon where I stand rather than sit and see ifthat works for me!
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options

^^^ this definitely.

There are other ways to work a bit more into your day and get the same net result. I have a sedentary desk bound job and have found the best way for me to work a bit more activity is to use the toilets on a different floor, print to the printer on the ground floor and take the stairs etc.

There is also a website called fitbolt, which gives you small cardio exercises to do from your chair and pops up a window when its time to do some. Its a small thing but makes a difference.

the HRM is calibrated for doing cardio above a certain heart rate, anything below that heart rate will be misreported. I od agree with the poster near the top who said that its worth about an extra 15 or so BPM, which would only work out at about an extra 20 to 30 calories per hour, and for the discomfort you feel then there are other ways to get that same burn.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A HRM is only for when you are doing exercises with elevated heart rate (riding bikes, walking fast, running). If you are standing, I would make sure that your activity setting is lightly active instead of sedentary and leave it at that.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

I'm up and walking around for almost my entire 8 hour shift, 5 days a week. Rarely, I get stuck standing behind the counter for those 8 hours. I have minimal to no "aches and pains" associated with this. In fact, I get more aches and pains sitting around all day. Standing is good for you. It's better than sitting. It allows for proper blood flow in your legs. People who sit around all day for a living are at risk of things like clots in their legs. It may not burn more calories, but it is definitely beneficial.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I stand for 8 hours a day and I actually feel less achy and less pain than when I sit for long periods of time. So, not everyone has issues with standing for long periods of time. I have steel rods and a bulging disc, so I know ALL about back pain. When I can be up and moving around -- it feels better than sitting in the same position all day long.

Just wanted to add that.
  • Aleara2012
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! Love to read all the different opinions, tips and experiences! :flowerforyou: