are calorie readings reliable?

Options
Hi! I've been doing a lot of cardio lately, mostly on ellipticals and row machines, and been getting great calories burned numbers. However, I've recently heard that those numbers are usually too high and unreliable. Is this true? And what is the best way to truly learn how many calories you're burning? I really hate to think that I haven't been doing as much as I think I have :( Thanks!

Replies

• lisabarben
    lisabarben Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If the equipment allows you to enter your age and weight and keeps track of your heart rate, it is as accurate as it can be. I know the equipment at my Y allows me to enter the information and is very good at accuracy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    People here will tell you to get a HRM. That is it the most accurate way to count calories burned. I'll be honest, I'd never even heard of a HRM until I joined this site. And quite honestly, I have better (and more important things) to spend money on.

I always went by the numbers on the equipment at the gym and while they may not be 100% accurate, they were close enough. I figure if I put in my age, height and weight? What it tells me is close enough.

So, buy the HRM if you have the extra cash. If not and you're worried the machines are WAY overestimating your burn - reduce it by up to 1/2.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Machine yesterday was about 10 more than my hrm. MFP had it 300 more than my hrm and the machine. If in doubt eat a percentage
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Machines are never accurate, especially if they don't ask for age, height and weight. Even those that do, are still off quite a bit. As an average, I would say is likely 50% of what the machine tells you, unless you are very overweight or very out of shape, then they be closer to being accurate. My HRM is about half of what my treadmill says.