Carbs From Vegetables

Options
Hi All,

I know I've asked this before but I want as many different opinions as possible. I'm finding that every single day i'm going way over my carb limit. Through fruit and vegetables. I avoid starchy vegetables such as potatos, sweetcorn, yams etc. It's a difference for me as I'm on the consolidation phase of the dukan diet which is a very low carb diet, and I had great success losing weight, and since I've been on consolidation and eating a lot of vegetables I haven't put ON weight, I just want to know if eating this many carbs is going to be detrimental to further weight loss as I'm definitely not done losing weight yet, and I still want to focus on reducing my body fat % mainly. Any help :)

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you could drop the banana...it is your highest carb food it looks like,
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you are still losing weight while eating high carbs and protein.....
    NVM...

I look at my carb count at the end of the day and lets say it states 209g.
    Then I look at my dietary fibre count and lets say it states 30g.
    209-30=179.

I consumed 179g of carbs that day.
    The dietary fibre isnt absorbed into the body and just passes through so its not counted.

G.I. is irrelevant to bodybuilding.

When it comes to having proper numbers set for MFP and losing/gaining/maintaining weight, set protein to appx 1g-1.5g per LBM.
    Set fat to .40-1g per LBM.

The rest of the calories can be made up with any of the 3 macronutrients.

Keep in mind also...
    I just want to know if eating this many carbs is going to be detrimental to further weight loss as I'm definitely not done losing weight yet, and I still want to focus on reducing my body fat % mainly. Any help :)

As long as you are in a deficit but maintaining as much lean mass as possible, you will lose the fat.
    But...
    If youve lost LBM while dieting and are at goal with a higher BF% than you like, youll need to add lean mass.
    At some point you will slow down to a crawl with fat loss.

36LBS is a huge amount of weight to lose!
    Maybe its time for a diet break.

Oh!
    And eat carbs!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    so Dan....since you are telling her to eat carbs are you are telling her to quit the Dukan diet? she cant do both
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you could drop the banana...it is your highest carb food it looks like,

Yeah I thought this after, it's my first banana in AAAAAGES!! It was yummy though haha
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Banana, Melon, Apple - you're not on a low carb diet by any means. Pizza ! Bread ! Cake !

I think you're shooting at the wrong target if you think veg are taking you over the carb limit.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Banana, Melon, Apple - you're not on a low carb diet by any means. Pizza ! Bread ! Cake !

I think you're shooting at the wrong target if you think veg are taking you over the carb limit.

Thank you for your input. I get one celebration meal a week so that was what the pizza and cake were. Do you have any suggestions how I could improve day to day?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    so Dan....since you are telling her to eat carbs are you are telling her to quit the Dukan diet? she cant do both

You can do whatever fad diet you like.

But stress will be the #1 issue with weight/fat loss!

Eat the proper carbs.
    2 fruit a day and at least 2 cups fresh veg.
    Eat 10% junk daily if it fits your macros.
    So if the twinkie fits...eat it!
    Pizza is the #1 plateau breaker BTW.

Get your essential fats and your base amount of protein daily and youll do fine!
    =D

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you are at your goal weight, looking at her ticker, and you have too much body fat....
    She needs a different approach.

Recomp maybe?
    Slow bulk possibly?

But we dont have that info here so its hard to say.

As for the Dukan diet?
    If it works then great but cutting out a macro is priming yourself for bounce back.
    We know she likes carbs from her banana comment to yarrow so whats to say she wont gain back what she lost once the Dukan is done?
    Is it a lifelong sustainable diet?

After looking it up I had to giggle because the French are known for their tasty breads and pastries....
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Just a note, I see you're from London - be careful which foods you pick from the lists on here. American food labels aren't the same as British ones. When you see the carbs on our labels - that is the net carb value...American labels show the carbs and the fibre and you've got to minus the fibre to get the net carbs. You might already be aware of this but it's something I didn't realise for quite some time :-))
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion.... any diet that restricts you from eating fruits and vegies is not a good plan in the long run. Eating this food group is going to help with fat loss, long term weight loss, and a healthier body.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I don't know what you are eating.

I eat pretty clean fairly low carb (less than 100 grams a day) - Because some of the fruits and veggies I like can be higher sugar and carbs (like apples, squash) I do my best to limit myself to 1-2 servings of higher carb fruit/veggie a day and fill in with lower carb veggies. So it isn't a matter of not eating things but planning what I eat to fit in with my goals.

Somedays you have to just say whatever...but you still need to keep things in check... so if you do want to have a banana - then simply plan on that being your higher carb fruit for the day and fill in with lower carb/sugar veggies