Help with calories

Options
Deb1971
Deb1971 Posts: 41 Member
I just can't seem to eat all of my calories (sounds very odd for me to say) but its true. I am diabetic (diet controlled, no meds) and I would like it to stay that way. I try not to go over 40 carbs per day which is not to difficult but my other problem is (heart disease) whick runs through both sides of my family so I try to limit my fat and sodium intake as well. My husband thinks I am trying to control to many things but my last a1c test was 4.3 which made me very happy. I have only been eating between 800 and 900 calories which I would like to increase to 1100 or 1200 without more carbs. Any Ideas?

Replies

• prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    first, that makes it a normal a1c! congratulations.
    I'd suggest adding protein and veggies. Lean chicken, lean beef, etc. There are plenty of herbs to use instead of salt. You really need to increase those calories. Another idea is to add a low carb protein powder to your food. Carbs are individual but still seems your pretty low. Usually a base is 35ish per meal and work from there. Good luck with your balance.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    numbers game, there's no help for it, you just have to do some research and find foods that work for you. I mean, lean proteins such as chicken, turkey, and fish may be good choices, but you can't eat protein alone, 40 carbs seems pretty low for someone limiting their fat intake. Question, why are you limiting fat intake anyway? I mean, I know why you would limit saturated fat intake, but not healthy fats, I have never read about any links between unsaturated fats and heart disease. Granted, I'm no doctor, and I may have just never read the reports, but if it is the case, I would suggest adding some foods with good fat in there as well to balance things out a bit.