Macro Pairing For the "Fat Chick with Muscle"

Options
So I just read this article, basically outlining a basic macro diet plan, based on body type. Classing myself as the fat chick with muscle ( basically solid girl with good muscle, underneath roughly 30% body fat) and it says people with this body type do best on a low carb diet.

ie carbs at breakfast, and after workouts, and other than that keep them under 5g per meal.

I've never done a low carb before. In fact, if you look at my diet, I pretty much live on carbs and peanut butter :laugh:

I don't lift weights, either, my main exercise is biking and running, but I have worked physical jobs most of life, (autoshop, woodworking, and bakery) so I'm pretty muscular.

I was just wondering if anyone else who has "this body type" has tried low carbing, and how its worked for them?

Any feedback greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    oh I just realized I never even really mentioned the paring part :laugh:

Its based on 5-6 meals a day, and you do

breakfast : protein+carb

post workout: protein+ carb

everything else= protein +fat+leafy green salad or veggies
  • timeforchange
    Options
    bump! (I have the same body type and need to start a low carb diet due to PCOS, so I'm curious too)
  • timeforchange
    Options
    by the way, where did you read the article?
    Thanks!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    by the way, where did you read the article?
    Thanks!

I was just going to ask that!:wink:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Me, too. I need to do something different. Getting a little frustrated with the scale right now.
  • timeforchange
    Options
    thanks so much!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I have always had a good muscular build...that is until I added so many layers of fat on top of it :laugh:
    But I muscle up very easily and have always kept a good muscle tone....
    I tried low carb....lost weight fairly quickly, but hated the way I felt. I was constipated a lot (tmi? sorry)... and felt sluggish...
    I do realize that the diet plan I'm on now takes longer for the weight to come off, but I feel good...so I'm liking it better than the no/low carb diets...
    The carbs I do take in, I'm very mindful of... Trying to get in those GOOD carbs and stay away from the BAD ones.
    Hope this helped a little :flowerforyou:
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Mom is a Nutritionist and all this low carb stuff drives her insane. She lived in Japan for 3 years and always says "Look at the Japanese! They are tiny and they eat carbs at EVERY meal"! They eat white rice with breakfast, lunch and supper. The key is that they eat very lean proteins (hardly ever fatty meats like beef, etc.) and they eat lots of veggies and have small portions. Too much sugar in carbs isn't great, though. I'd pay less attention to how many carbs you are eating and just try to eat sensible portions and lean proteins. Since I've been calorie counting on this site I lost 15 pounds in 1 month but didn't pay attention to carbs at all - in fact I was over my carbs allowance most days. I just paid attention to calories and fat. If you can't stick to low carbs for a lifetime - then it's not going to work for you in the long run. It has to be a lifetime lifestyle change, right? That's why I can't do the South Beach diet or anything like that because I know I can't give up sugar for life! I need my chocolate fix and the occasional cookie with my coffee. Lol! I'd rather eat what I want in moderation and just count the calories. : )
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Don't over due the low carbs!!! Lol

I have PCOS and Juvie diabetes, but my doctor would kill me if I didn't eat 30 to 45 grams of carbs per meal. With me being on gluccophage a low carb that only has 5gs per meal would kill me.

5g a meal? Yeah my sugar level would constantly be in the lower 60 range.

Plus there are different carbs. Dietary Fiber...good. Sugars? Bad.

Its about balance, you don't want too much fat, and you don't want too many carbs. Best bet is to talk to a nuritions if you have special needs, or find it difficult to lose weight. They'll be able to tell you base on your medical conditions and amound of physical activity what you need of each, and they can show you foods that can help you achieve those goals.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not to do low carbs because the extra protein puts too much strain on the kidneys (I get kidney stones easily). Balance is better than eliminating or overdoing anything. Besides I LOVE BREAD AND PASTA (in moderation of course)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and Juvie diabetes, but my doctor would kill me if I didn't eat 30 to 45 grams of carbs per meal. With me being on gluccophage a low carb that only has 5gs per meal would kill me.

5g a meal? Yeah my sugar level would constantly be in the lower 60 range.

Me too! When I first got dx'd I tried low carb- only problem is that I'm on glucophage. OH BOY was I sick as a lame donkey! I have to eat More carbs than I usually would because of the meds. The glucophage is working for me so well that I've stopped worrying about carbs. I just eat good food and leave it at that.

Well... I *try* to eat good food. :embarassed: Sometimes I slip up.

I am definitely a muscular fat girl. People are always amazed at my weight because I'm not 'big enough' for my weight. (That's what they say- I feel a bit differently lol) I'm just concentrating on losing the fat through more cardio. I've always loved lifting weights, but cardio bores me to tears. It's hard to find a challenge that keeps me interested.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I can't tell what I am. I definately not the fat chick with muscle, my body fat is too low. I don't think I'm skinny fat because I do stength training. And I'm sure not a skinny-lean. I have no problem gaining weight... I'm nothing... :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    aww jbuerer :(

Im no expert, but what seems closest for you? Im assuming fat chick with muscle diet is directed at fat loss, specifically, whereas the other 2 are more maintenance for two different body types? I would just guess that if you gain easily but you are already lean keep doing what your doing :tongue:

but if you really wanna use the article maybe try the skinny fat, even if you are not fat :tongue:
  • prayerfulmom
    prayerfulmom Posts: 409
    Options
    Good carbs are always the best (whole wheat past, brown rice, bready with 3 gm of fiber or more). We must be sure to get enough carbs as we need carbs for brain function and energy. Also, too much protein can damage your kidneys. Moderation is always the key.