Healthy foods that I WANT to eat?!

Options
I love food...I love cooking and trying new recipes. But I CANNOT seem to find healthy food that I'm totally INTO. The closest I've come is fresh fruit salad, but still...that has a ton of sugar. Help!!

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Well what do you like?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What unhealthy foods are you in to?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    One thing I love to do is make my favorite greasy cheat foods into yummy healthy meals.

Fajitas - hold the cheese, sour cream, and guac. Stuff with lettuce, salsa with peppers and onions
    Tacos - substitute ground beef for turkey and top like fajitas. Or instead of taco shells, I use baked doritos sometimes.
    Burgers - turkey ground meat mixed with salsa and topped with lots of lettuce tomatoes and pickles. Hold the condiments
    Buffalo wings - instead of deep frying, chunk up breast piecese and bake. Measure out your favorite hot sauce and dig in.
  • jimhollisga
    jimhollisga Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    After several years and some great nutritional advice, I have found a plan that works for ME. It is a combination of 5 small, nutritious meals a day and one meal that I call, "Lean and Green" which is simply healthy in a common sense way. My calorie goal is 1500 a day and it is working well. I am keeping my metabolism level and not having cravings or ups & downs. Blessings on your day!

Jim
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    Depends on your definition of healthy too. Low cal, low fat or low carb?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    One thing I love to do is make my favorite greasy cheat foods into yummy healthy meals.

Fajitas - hold the cheese, sour cream, and guac. Stuff with lettuce, salsa with peppers and onions
    Tacos - substitute ground beef for turkey and top like fajitas. Or instead of taco shells, I use baked doritos sometimes.
    Burgers - turkey ground meat mixed with salsa and topped with lots of lettuce tomatoes and pickles. Hold the condiments
    Buffalo wings - instead of deep frying, chunk up breast piecese and bake. Measure out your favorite hot sauce and dig in.

This is actually one of my favorite things to do too.

Mens Health has a book called 'Cook This, Not That' and it takes popular restaurant dishes and provides healthier alternatives to make at home, usually 1/2 the calories and junk.

Even baking, if you start swapping out sugar for fruit or sweetner, less flour, a bit of whey, fat-free this and that, you can cut calories quite a bit.

You'll get most of the flavor you're craving, and can even it a bit more, without breaking the caloric bank.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy" foods? What have you been trying?
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    have you tried making grilled chicken and grilled veggies? i like to use zucchini and squash with some low sodium seasoning!

if you get tired of fruit salad you could make your own smoothies with blueberries and bananas and even add some spinach to it if you need some greens.

you could always eat a small baked potato with little some broccoli added as a topping and some lean meat :smile:

i like fruits A LOT more than veggies. so these things i could eat a lot.

i hope this gives you an idea.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com
    eatcleandiet.com
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortilla: 80 Cal
    Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 2% milkfat 1/4 cup 50 Cal
    Lettuce: 10 Cal
    Meat - Chicken Breast, Skinless, Boneless, 1/2 breast: 80 cal
    Feta Chesse 1/2 serving: 30 Cal

Total Caloires: 250

I can eat two wraps and be completely stuff and I'm a big boy currently 238. Simply cook your chicken how you like and then put everything in the wrap and enjoy. This is one of my staple meals that I have once a week. The La Tortilla wraps completely rock 12 g of fiber per wrap so you get about 50% of your fiber need in one wrap
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    when asparagus is cooked right I think it is absolutely delicious!! I could eat tons!!
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    when asparagus is cooked right I think it is absolutely delicious!! I could eat tons!!

I love it but it doesn't love me! I get wee infections every time I eat the stuff - took me ages to work out what was going on but I read an article about it and apparently it does that to some people!
  • carakline
    carakline Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been incorporating lots of chicken (boiled, shredded, grilled) and veggies. But I'm an absolute sucker for cheese and sour cream. My calorie goal per day is 1200, but it seems almost impossible to stay that low...so I try to add in more exercise. It's almost overwhelming! Keep in mind, I live in the south (it's like I'm automatically doomed to love unhealthy foods!) and I have three small kids at home (5, 2, and 8 months)....so it's not always the easiest thing in the world to make healthy meals for myself.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    1200 calories? You must be starving!!!!

I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, tuna, and metric tons of vegetables. I like my food spicy, so hot sauce, red pepper flakes, garlic, pepper....

I don't do " low fat " anything, and I don't avoid " full fat " dairy products, I just use less. I *love* cooking.

I found that a tablespoon of sauce on veggies really makes me WANT them. Sweet Chili Thai sauce in particular, over snow peas, peppers, carrots, onions, celery... delish.
  • ralexander82
    ralexander82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

That's taking all the things that make them decent (cheese, beef) out and adding stuff I hate (peppers, onions, tomatoes, pickles). I could not do that.

I have the same problem. I can't find healthy foods that I actually want to eat and I am trying so hard. I tried a bite of banana and almost threw up. I'm very careful with my food choices but I can't seem to get a healthy diet going. (Plus I don't have a microwave, counter-top or sink right now, kitchen construction) I eat cottage cheese, love carrots, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, corn, and eat them when I can but also need some meat and I love mayo, cheese, dressing and wouldn't eat some of these items without them. (Also, don't like any seafood) My diet seems to consist of carbs and sugars which are murder to the calorie count. I would love some help that doesn't make me feel like throwing up.