Returning to deadlifts after a slight pull

Options
Hey I'm new to the boards. For background I'm 44 and have been lifting for 2 years. I've not made huge gains but would consider myself an advanced newb or maybe a new intermediate. I was in week 8 of a 12-week hypertrophy type program and suffered a "slight" pull on my right side that feels like its around my lower ribs during a deadlift. This is a 3-day per week program that hits all three power lifts plus some accessories. I've taken about two weeks off from deadlifting but have continued with the rest of the program. I've not noticed the pull during squats but I still feel a "twinge" when doing pull ups. When I feel the twinge, usually about 3 to 5 reps in, I stop because I don't want to make it worse. I'm starting to think maybe I'm being too cautious. What's the best way to ease back into deads? Thanks!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm new to the boards. For background I'm 44 and have been lifting for 2 years. I've not made huge gains but would consider myself an advanced newb or maybe a new intermediate. I was in week 8 of a 12-week hypertrophy type program and suffered a "slight" pull on my right side that feels like its around my lower ribs during a deadlift. This is a 3-day per week program that hits all three power lifts plus some accessories. I've taken about two weeks off from deadlifting but have continued with the rest of the program. I've not noticed the pull during squats but I still feel a "twinge" when doing pull ups. When I feel the twinge, usually about 3 to 5 reps in, I stop because I don't want to make it worse. I'm starting to think maybe I'm being too cautious. What's the best way to ease back into deads? Thanks!

Interesting; I've never seen a reference to a hypertrophy specific program and deadlifts. Deadlifts are typically done heavy in the 1 to 5 rep range, anything past that is just cardio. If you want to train more like an athlete and focus on performance and some size then first make sure your diet is in order to accomplish that and then I'd recommend changing training methods to, "Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3" by Joe DeFranco. He basically trains 100% college, olympic, and pro athletes. Lastly, check your form. You can YouTube very good videos by Dave Date, EliteFTS, Mark Rippletoe, etc on how to properly deadlift, squat, bench, etc.
  • grinditout44
    Options
    Yeah I'm a big fan of the Westside methods as well. This program is a bit atypical. From the beginnng I questioned the inclusions of deadlifts as I, like you, thought the rep ranges were a little outta whack. But as the program progress, the weights go up and the reps go down so in a way it makes more sense. It has added some size to my back. I'm just now getting to the point in the program where I should be pulling some heavier weights in the 3-5 rep range but that little pull has me concerned. I think I'm just going to go light and get a feel for it and add weight as I think I'm able.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I would just ease back into them to avoid getting hurt.
    You know if you're pushing too hard.

I've noticed that if I'm doing >5 reps on deads, I typically get tired and my form suffers.