motivation

Options
Some days I am struggling with getting motivation to work out. I usually like to work out in the evenings because I stay up late its the way my fiance and I's schedule works out. So when the kids go to bed around 8:00pm i work out but latly I havnt been able to give myself enough motivation to continue to do zumba or any other exercise. I love zumba I just dont know why I cant get up and do it anymore. So I am curious what everyone else uses for motivation when they get into moods similar to mine.

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've never liked to exercise and probably never will so motivation is always a struggle. After years of trying to motivate myself I finally realized that the only thing that keeps me going is accountability. I ended up hiring a personal trainer and my fear of letting her down seems to motivate me more than letting myself down. Strange? Maybe, but it works for me. Continuing to visualize the body I want to have also helps :) It sounds like with your schedule you have to exercise at home, maybe there is someone who can do the Zumba with you? Have a fee friends over for exercise DVD night? How old are your children? Maybe work out with them?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You just do it. Motivation isn't some magical thing that you either have or you don't. Sometimes you don't want to do things, but you have goals for what you want out of life, and you have things you need to do to get you there, so you just get up and do it even if you don't want to. Keep the goal in sight.

That said, you might just be getting bored of your Zumba. Try a different DVD, or another kind of workout altogether. Are you getting enough sleep? Eating right, and eating enough? Drinking enough water? If your energy levels are low, it's harder to push yourself to exercise.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I create challenges for myself (or follow established ones)
    200 squats
    100 pushups
    Walking speed or distance

I like to exceed my previous best in every workout. It may or may not work, but trying is always good.

Also, try a new workout. You might be bored.

And lastly, force yourself to only do 5 minutes. Usually you can continue on for the full workout. Getting started is the challenge.