I've hit a wall

Options
Please help - seems like i have hit a wall - I can't seem to consistently break the 181 mark - been at this about a month and a half - have lost 11 lbs and am VERY happy about that but it seems to have stopped - i have beefed up the excercise some but nothing is happening

any suggestions?

Replies

• GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of excercises you're already doing but one of the things that I constantly keep hearing when aerobic type workouts aren't helping by themselves is to start building muscle by strength training.
  • smg1010
    smg1010 Posts: 21
    Options
    you should try eating more- a while ago i pumped up my exercise a lot but i didn't change my eating habits and i hit a wall for a few weeks, but once i started to eat more (eating some of your exercise calories) the weight started to slowly come off again
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Try zig zagging your calories, it really works:drinker:
  • kdenver
    kdenver Posts: 2
    Options
    well my trainer once told me that it is 70% diet 30% exercise... so just make sure you keep an eye on your diet an increase in exercise may not be enough.

The other thing I did to move pass my wall was I gave up processed/frozen meals for two weeks - I used to eat a WW frozen meal for lunch every day for convience. But when I started making salads and sandwiches for lunch I saw huge results... I lost 6 pounds in two weeks. Worth a try!!

Good luck!!!
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try HIIT Training! High Intensity interval training....

It's a type of Cardiovascular training...

Your going to alternate between High Intensity and Low Intensity

For example, when I do HIIT, I run at 6mph for a 5 minutes,,,or perhaps u might run at 4 for a minute or whatever fits your fitness level...then after that (as the high intensity), I walk at an incline of 13% for a couple mins (as the low intensity)....

do something cardio like that, run for 2mins, and walk at an incline for 2mins...both at a speed and incline most accurate to you

this is an AMAZING way to cut inches and pounds! I highly recommend this style of cardiovascular training! ALSO this has great health benefits, for your heart strength and your pulmonary ability!

Let me know what you think!! I hope to hear back from you!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Is it possible that you don't need to go below 181? How do you feel? do you feel healthy, happy, strong, flexible? a number on the scale is just that...a number...

Cindy:heart:
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    Thanks for that advice - I have read up on that type of training and started it last week - wil will see what happens - i'll let you know
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    Try HIIT Training! High Intensity interval training....

It's a type of Cardiovascular training...

Your going to alternate between High Intensity and Low Intensity

For example, when I do HIIT, I run at 6mph for a 5 minutes,,,or perhaps u might run at 4 for a minute or whatever fits your fitness level...then after that (as the high intensity), I walk at an incline of 13% for a couple mins (as the low intensity)....

do something cardio like that, run for 2mins, and walk at an incline for 2mins...both at a speed and incline most accurate to you

this is an AMAZING way to cut inches and pounds! I highly recommend this style of cardiovascular training! ALSO this has great health benefits, for your heart strength and your pulmonary ability!

Let me know what you think!! I hope to hear back from you!

Right on, Sami with the HIIT. I preach it, 'cause I stayed on a plateau for 2 months until I did it. Now I NEVER do steady state cardio. Nothing gets the weight and inches off like HIIT.

You may also want to try a few exercise DVDs that utilize full body movements (e.g., lunges w/bicep curls). Way more efficient at burning fat than movements in isolation. I broke my plateau by upping my protein/water intake, increasing calories slightly, doing HIIT and full body exercises.
  • darman
    Options
    That was great help - all of it - I have started doing it the the music on my mp3 player - run a song - walk a song - incline / walk a song - incline / run a song - it really does make a difference - i have also increased the protein carb and calorie intake of my diet - did not have enough before and 3 pounds just dissapeared - well sorta.............

I was only taking in 1k calories and 50 carbs a day - silly me I did not use the mfp recommended settings

Thanks for all the great advice!!!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    That was great help - all of it - I have started doing it the the music on my mp3 player - run a song - walk a song - incline / walk a song - incline / run a song - it really does make a difference - i have also increased the protein carb and calorie intake of my diet - did not have enough before and 3 pounds just dissapeared - well sorta.............

I was only taking in 1k calories and 50 carbs a day - silly me I did not use the mfp recommended settings

Thanks for all the great advice!!!

You were only eating 1000 calories a day? What are you eating now?
  • darman
    Options
    1400 - 1600 a day with 50 - 100 carbs - depends on the amount of exercise i get in that day