Help with calorie intake?

Options
MFP says my BMR is around 1700, but when I said I wanted to lose 2lbs a week they recommended I eat 1200 calories? I've been doing this for a few days now and feel OK, maybe a bit more tired than usual but I've just been substituting lunch for a fruit salad or something lighter than usual.

Am I doing this wrong? I don't exercise at all yet, (hoping to start after my exams), and it says online that you need to create at least a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb of fat a week? So because I burn 1700 calories without exercise, then that 500lb I'm not eating would be my calorie deficit??

Ahhh I'm so confused! someone who knows what they are talking about please help me because I am clueless lol.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1700 your daily energy expenditure (burned) sitting around will be just over 2000 ( multiply BMR by 1.2 )

2 lbs/week is a 1,000 calorie deficit, but MFP has a minimum setting of 1200 calories hence you got 1200 as a target and not the 1040 that is 1,000 below your TDEE.

That's quite a big deficit, you may be more comfortable on 1 lb/week deficit at about 1500 calories (about 25% below TDEE).
  • WishUponAStarx
    WishUponAStarx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I really want to lose 2lbs a week though! Got a holiday booked and want to get down a few sizes lol. So when I start exercising I should maybe up my intake to 1500 and burn 300 kcals? As long as I'm doing it right so that I lose 2lbs a week I'll be happy!

Thanks so much for your help!! :)