Just Started - Need Help

Options
I am currently at 172 lbs, 47 years of age. My 16 year old daughter and I are beginning this journey together. I would like to lose 35-40 lbs. I started using the MFP last Thursday, recommended 1200 calories. Started working out on cardio and strength (get to do some Zumba today!!!) I am not a person who eats a ton of food. My problem is more that I was only eating once a day (supper usually), so my metabolism has shut completely down. I am starting a new chapter now with my daughter. I work a sedintary job at a desk and am trying to build back up my strength. I would love to go play softball with my daughter!!! I just can't right now because I can't run very well and have no upper or lower body strength.

We have both begun trying to stay away from "white death" (no sugar, very little white flour, basically trying to cut back on carbs). I really don't know how to eat healthy.... It makes me discouraged because, in order for me to cook for her and help her, as well as myself, I need to know how to eat healthy and cook healthy. I haven't lost any weight yet, which is discouraging (I am not known for my patience - LOL!).

Any advise on healthy eating as far as what fruits and veggies are good metabolism starters, etc., picky eaters, whatever you got, is greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!

Kim

Replies

• jvansyckel
    jvansyckel Posts: 45
    Options
    Just sent you friend request :smile:
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    38 yrs. old, starting weight 188, current 168, goal weight 140. Friend me if you would like.:smile:
  • mommeex6
    mommeex6 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was in the same boat... WANTING to eat & cook healthy meals, but not sure how to begin. Work into it slowly. I'm keeping it very simple and basic. Oatmeal or whole grain cereal for breakfast, incorporate lots of fruits & vegies, nuts, yogurt... For meals, I started with the Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine. I know they're not the best as far as sodium and ultimate nutrition, BUT they give you an easy satisfying meal until you can start figuring out how to prepare your own. A simple sandwich with whole grain bread, lean meats and some veggies is a great filler too. Good luck to you both!
  • kbownds65
    kbownds65 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the advise. For me, the simpler the better! Sounds like you are doing great. Would love for you to add me as a friend.
  • nancycw64
    nancycw64 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I Just sent you a friend request. That's great that you are doing this with your daughter.
    I am the same age and weight. Just started last week - trying to stay away from all things sweet!
  • nancycw64
    nancycw64 Posts: 14
    Options
    I too am unsure what to eat. I am having Visalus protein shakes/smoothies (they taste awesome!) at breakfast and lunch, 200 calorie snacks mid morning and mid afternoon (cheese and whole grain crackers, veggies and dip, turkey slices) and a healthy supper (Chicken or steak and veggies, salad). For my sweet tooth I have the chips ahoy fudge drizzled cookies at 100 calories a pack.

I just started four days ago, and havne't weighed myself yet, so I could be getting this all wrong!!!
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No one's metabolism stops completely. To kick start your metabolism, make sure you drink water. Being even slightly dehydrated can slow down your metabolism significantly. Also, work out. Exercise forces your body to metabolize because you need to burn the calories for energy. Start simply, maybe with gym equipment if you don't want to feel self-conscious around, say, a team of people. The more you work out, the more agile and confident you will be at it.

I would send you a friend request, but not sure how to do that yet. Blessings.