Protein shake question.

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have an additional question with Protein shakes- I am replacing one meal a day with my shake. I have been having my shake at dinner time. 8oz almond 90 cal milk, 2 scoops Arbonne protein mix, 1 banana, some kind of frozen berry or melon. Is this too much fruit? And is night time not a good time to have your shake for a meal? I work out at night! :smile:

Night time isn't a bad time for a protein shake, but it really isn't the best time for a workout if you can possibly get it in any other time of the day. At the very least, try to make it at least 3-5 hours before bed. And drink your shake after the workout, so you have the protein for recovery.

Why is night time not a good time to workout? Its really the only time I can with kids to get ready for school and I don't sleep well at night as it is so getting up at 5 am, while possible, really kills my energy level throughout the week.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    There are benefits from all sources of milk...Almond = low cals but protein is lacking big time, Soy = better protein count than almond and 0 cholesterol but is high in estrogen and if taken in large amounts can increase risk for cancer and also cause a man to have boobs...and I dare anyone to argue this...because I have MET people with both issues resulting from Soy...and yes I drink soy milk still, cow milk has higher protein than the two and amino acids that is needed for strength training...

I mix it up..and drink almond, soy, and skim milk...
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I have an additional question with Protein shakes- I am replacing one meal a day with my shake. I have been having my shake at dinner time. 8oz almond 90 cal milk, 2 scoops Arbonne protein mix, 1 banana, some kind of frozen berry or melon. Is this too much fruit? And is night time not a good time to have your shake for a meal? I work out at night! :smile:

Night time isn't a bad time for a protein shake, but it really isn't the best time for a workout if you can possibly get it in any other time of the day. At the very least, try to make it at least 3-5 hours before bed. And drink your shake after the workout, so you have the protein for recovery.

Why is night time not a good time to workout? Its really the only time I can with kids to get ready for school and I don't sleep well at night as it is so getting up at 5 am, while possible, really kills my energy level throughout the week.

Any time is a good time to workout....

Morning on an empty stomach is best for burning stored fat....
    Afternoon is best for lean muscle
    Night is best Strenght and Mass

One reason to not workout at night as that studies have shown that it can wreck quality of sleep....

But there are people who have no issues sleeping after workout...I can't workout at night, because if i do...I will be up for hours still amped up
  • n2trux
    n2trux Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello gang, I'm a newb to this forum so go easy on me. In response to the O/P question my research has shown that your protein intake should be based on your exercise and weight loss objectives. The formula for men is +/- 1 gram per pound of body weight. You should also factor in what type of protein your using. Some supplements are mostly whey while others are casine based. These are fast and slow process proteins so that needs to be considered when deciding when to use them.

I have found that the Labrada Lean Body combines the best of both types of protein in one great tasting mix. I use the vanilla ice cream flavor and mix with ice and a little skim milk. For additional flavor and nutrition I add a banana or fresh strawberries. The taste is amazing and I can double my protein intake with out adding excessive calories.

Mine calls for two scoops per shake, but that gives me too many calories. I use one scoop per shake and I try to get them as quickly as possible after a workout.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Oh I have no trouble sleeping because of working out, my issue is a 15 month old that won't sleep through the night. Once this problem is solved I bet I will sleep wonderfully!!