CARBS!!!! UGH! What is the TRUTH?!!!?!?!?!?!!

Options
Ok... I need some valid and correct information. Everyone and every thing is contradictory! And it is pissing me off!!!!

My understanding was this... and it very well could be wrong. If you eat carbs... and they are not used for energy(fuel)... then they are stored. and become fat.
Therefore the less carbs you eat... still provided you are giving your body some fuel... then your body turns to the stored fat for energy... Thats what makes fat loss.

So, today, after having my RMR tested. See Post here...
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/596623-i-had-my-rmr-tested-here-is-what-it-said
...The "fitness professional" asks me how I am eating... I told her mostly clean... and lower carbs. No processed breads...mostly fruit, veg, sweet potatos and lots of meat. ..etc..... about 25-40% carb... 30-40% protein and remainder fat..nothing exact just lower carb.
She says I need to eat about 50-60% carb. That is what will make me lose the fat.
Also increases energy. They should be whole grains... rice, quinoa, couscous... etc. Which all seems "processed" to me.

So, whats the truth about carbs?

Edit to add....

Since I have been cutting grains out of my diet... like breads and beans crackers EVEN!... I have been less bloated and gassy.... and when I happen to have some of those things... Dude... watch out!!

I need to formula for fat burning majic!...

Replies

• sid719e
    sid719e Posts: 47
    Options
    How does YOUR body handle those types of carbs?
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    MY truth, and I am not a nutritionist or a scientist or anyone else important, is that until I cut the carbs, I couldn't lose an ounce. My body had no idea how to use fat as fuel. Since I eat under 20g carbs a day, my body is re-learning how to fuel itself. I have never felt better, or stronger, and I'm losing weight.

But be prepared for the amount of drama this thread is going to cause. :)
  • apretz1
    apretz1 Posts: 18
    Options
    Whole grains that you buy in a package at a store aren't nessesarily processed. If you are concerned about them being processed read the ingredient information to be sure there aren't artificial preservatives added. Carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact. As long as you eat a balanced diet and have a calorie deflect you will loose weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe this:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/index.html
    Don't be misled by fad diets that make blanket pronouncements on the dangers of carbohydrates. They provide the body with fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function, and they are an important part of a healthy diet. But some kinds of carbohydrates are far better than others.
    Choose the best sources of carbohydrates—whole grains (the less processed, the better), vegetables, fruits and beans—since they promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients. Skip the easily digested refined carbohydrates from refined grains—white bread, white rice, and the like— as well as pastries, sugared sodas, and other highly processed foods, since these may contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease.

I like that this site provides references for their advice. That they are not afraid to discuss opposing evidence or viewpoints. And they willingly admit that not all is known about about most subjects when it comes to nutrition. I tend to ignore sources that are written by just one person, claim to have information that others don't, or claim some grand conspiracy of the part of the general medical community.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the key thing is that 'the rest' of your original diet was made up with fat. If you only ate 25% in carbs and 30% in protein, that's an awful lot in fat, which is not easy for your body to use.

Carbs are the most readily available energy source for your body.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I cut a significant amount of weight without cutting out carbs.
    And was around 10-12% bodyfat while consuming tons of carbs every day.

It depends on what works for you.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    That's way too many carbs for me. I'd be hungry all the time if I did that consistently. I go for 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

Eating fewer calories is what will make you lose the fat.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    from my biochemistry undergrad degree, i understand the carb metabolism in a manner similar to how you descirbed: used for energy when there is a surplus or its not used, they are stored.

but some people are more tollerant to carbs (grans in particular) than others.

Me personally, i was a vegetarian for 2 years and ate exclusively carbs (like 70%) and didnt lose any weight. I was squishy and lethargic. Then my doctor and I discovered all my intestinal discomfort was due to a gluten allergy. I went paleo and dropped 12 lbs in 4 weeks--ive kept it off ever since and have way more energy. My tummy is flat and i dont get swollen ankles any more. Grains do not agree with me. I also am a runner and do crossfit and I dont have any issues with energy.

so basically, try it out and see what works for you!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok... I need some valid and correct information. Everyone and every thing is contradictory! And it is pissing me off!!!!

My understanding was this... and it very well could be wrong. If you eat carbs... and they are not used for energy(fuel)... then they are stored. and become fat.
    Therefore the less carbs you eat... still provided you are giving your body some fuel... then your body turns to the stored fat for energy... Thats what makes fat loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/596623-i-had-my-rmr-tested-here-is-what-it-said
    ...The "fitness professional" asks me how I am eating... I told her mostly clean... and lower carbs. No processed breads...mostly fruit, veg, sweet potatos and lots of meat. ..etc..... about 25-40% carb... 30-40% protein and remainder fat..nothing exact just lower carb.
    She says I need to eat about 50-60% carb. That is what will make me lose the fat.
    Also increases energy. They should be whole grains... rice, quinoa, couscous... etc. Which all seems "processed" to me.

Ok, in order for your body to store carbs as fat, you'd need to eat a ridiculously high level of them, around 750-800 grams a day while eating an overall calorie surplus. The fact is, your body burns through carbs for quick energy to control everything you do, particularly high intensity stuff. Total calories consumed (from all macros) control how much fat you burn. Eat less calories than you burn,you lose fat. Eat the same amount of calories, but less carbs, you burn the exact same amount of fat.

The only time cutting carbs will have any kind of beneficial effect is if you have diabetes, or some other metabolic dysfunction.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Carbs are not stored as fat (generally). If you eat more calories than you burn, usually the fat you eat is stored as fat. Really it comes down to calories. Eat less than you burn and your body will use fat stores or sometimes protein stores, (muscle) as energy.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Also, "clean" eating is overrated.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The truth is Carbs taste great and I will not cut them from my menu! That is the truth...:O)
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    Whole grains that you buy in a package at a store aren't nessesarily processed. If you are concerned about them being processed read the ingredient information to be sure there aren't artificial preservatives added. Carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact. As long as you eat a balanced diet and have a calorie deflect you will loose weight.

Can you please provide peer-reviewed studies that prove that, as you say, "carbs being stored as fat isn't a fact."? I hate being that jerk but if you have actual factual evidence I would love to see it, considering I live a very low carb lifestyle and have done my research and homework, and I am unsure how one could believe that excess carbohydrates are not stored as fat.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts differently. Personally, I do better on moderate carbs (about 40%), but I'm judging this mostly on the way it makes me FEEL vs. actual weight loss results...

In general feel like where your carbs come from is more important than how many you eat... i.e. if you're eating at 40% carbs with only vegetable sources, you're probably better off nutritionally than 40% carbs from all grains and sugar.

but I am not a scientist :) & if you are working with a trainer, maybe it's best to just do what your trainer says for a while - clearly they're the educated one, ya know?

edit again to add - I also would say that grains and stuff give me more digestive trouble. I don't think they will hinder any weight loss, but FEELING GOOD on a daily basis is more important. so if you feel that way too, don't eat toast just because someone tells you to. listen to your body.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200+ carbs a day and I lose and or maintain my weight. I dont eat crap carbs, processed foods. I also do endurance activites like boxing that help my body use fat as fuel as I have depleted my carb stores. In my experience, if I was eating the same amount of carbs and not working out like I am now, then those carbs led to excessive calorie intake, which is the cause of weight gain...

Depending upon your activity level, you may not require as many carbs. Get a good feel for what your activity level is then add/subtract as needed. This is what has helped me
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Well, i wish that were as true and simple as it sounds. I have consistently had a deficit with food and or exercise and have lost no more than a few lbs a month. June 9 will be six months for me and I have lost 14 lbs. ..
    I haven't been perfect all along the way. But I have stayed sometimes with a 1000+ deficient ...but mostly with 500-700 deficient.
    Just trying to figure out what is right for me. It's not been easy.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Edit to add....

Since I have been cutting grains out of my diet... like breads and beans crackers EVEN!... I have been less bloated and gassy.... and when I happen to have some of those things... Dude... watch out!!

I need to formula for fat burning majic!...

I only cut out grains, breads, etc in the past because I was testing my body for gluten intolerance. My stomach felt awesome. Now, I wasn't watching calories or anything, and I don't think I really lost much weight, but that was back in 2009. IF I was to cut those foods out again, it would be for the sake of being pain, bloat, and gas free (or close enough). I think you should ultimately do what makes you feel good inside (physically lol). Maybe try cutting out certain things but not all? Some people seem to thrive on low carb, others don't (or it doesn't make a difference). More people find that watching calories and exercising will help. AND EATING FEWER CALORIES ISN'T NECESSARILY THE ANSWER (you are not stuck at 1200 calories despite what many people seem to think - your body needs fuel/food). If you like a low bloat/gas life, eliminate things slowly and one by one to find out what the culprit(s) might be.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The truth is what ever your body tells you it is.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    That's way too many carbs for me. I'd be hungry all the time if I did that consistently. I go for 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

Eating fewer calories is what will make you lose the fat.

Not necessarily. I have friends on here that eat 2000-2500 calories, who also work out, and they are losing weight regularly. So define "fewer calories" :-)
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i think it's different for everyone. some will says carbs is good for them some are not. i suggest listen to you your body.
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I just do my best to eat healthy carbs. Whole grains, brown rice, beans, sweet potato...i keep my portions small. I just love carbs so i would have a slow painful death without them! (obviously joking;) I do notice a difference in my body when I started to do this plan.