Real experiences with barefoot/minimalist running

Options
2»

Replies

• glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I am a newer runner (just over a year) and decided minimalist shoes were for me after reading the book. I started with the Merrell trail gloves and also own a pair of new balance minimus shoes to see which were better suited for me. I love my Merrell's as they fit my foot better than the new balance shoes (narrower). I will say that minimalist shoes helped me develop better running form than I had prior. Also I spent way too much time reading about running form, etc to figure out how to get better/faster. Once I started upping my mileage I developed a stress fracture on my left fibula that put me in an air-cast for 4 weeks. A good friend of mine is also my physical therapist and he is an endurance athlete. His advice was to really look at running surfaces, time to train, recovery times, etc. Due to my work schedule, sometimes the only way to get in a run was to get on a treadmill. Unfortunately after 3-4 miles on the treadmill surface my legs were killing me in minimalist shoes. I started running with a metranome (sp?) to make sure I was running at the optimal 180 strides per minute pace and still was hitting the pain threshold at the 3-4 mile mark. About two months ago I purchased Newton Gravitas (I am a forefoot striker) and have had no issues since. My third run in the Newtons I put in 10 miles (Longest run of my life). I do still train in my Merrells on speed/short distance days and trail run/jog in my New Balance shoes and now see them as training aides but not long distance shoes. Just my two cents. - Best of luck
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    VirtuallyAmy: I will repeat that I have not followed the whole Chi Running program, but after having read a little bit about it, I thought I'd give some of the principles a try.

Keeping the pelvis straight over the hips (engaging the core), leaning slightly forward (from the ankles, not the waist), using a mid/forefoot strike, and eliminating excess motion (too much leg swing, too wide a stride, arm swing across the body centerline), along with focusing on relaxed shoulders, helped me a lot. Rather than focusing on power, I focus on these elements, and while my pace increases only slowly, pace isn't the reason I run. So it works for me pretty well.

I've heard that the best way to get a full Chi Running training program is to work with one of their trainers. I can't afford that, and I'm not sure I value the expense, so just incorporating those elements is enough for me for now.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Thanks Glonigan! That's a very helpful story.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    Options
    I was wondering about this because I recently started jogging. I do this barefoot on the beach. Any thoughts on this?
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but I do believe in the idea behind it. My husband has had knee issues and problems with his stride because of it. After he healed from the last knee blow out, he decided to give minimalist running a try. He hasn't had any knee problems since. So it worked well for him.

this..
    also improves balance for me.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I run in Nike Free 5.0's... they're not completely barefoot, but are certainly minimalist. I have been fitted for shoes and have also been diagnosed as an overpronator with a midfoot strike. The more structured shoes feel like lead weights on my feet; and I just buy into the whole concept of barefoot/minimalist shoes allowing for the feedback necessary to correct your own form. I trained for and ran my first marathon back in January in my Nike Free 5.0's and had no issues, whereas I had previously struggled with my ITB. So, just based on my own experience, I'll be sticking with the minimalist shoes until something changes. I am toying with the idea of trying Vibrams, as well as with taking a Chi running class, but haven't pulled the trigger on either of those yet... I'm going to pick my next marathon and then see whether I want to throw either/both into the training regimen.

Best of luck to you and your training!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for sharing these experiences. They're all very helpful!

I hope others will contribute to continue the conversation... :) And I hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story... over-pronation and chronic shin splints. I wore stability shoes always with orthotics occasionally. I did exercises for my anterior tibialis muscles, iced religiously blah blah blah. Nothing helped. I made the switch to minimalist shoes and I have ZERO problems now. I wear Brooks Pure Connects. They are not a barefoot shoe, but have a low heel drop and are considered "minimalist' shoes.

I purchased these when they came out in October 2011. I had very little transition period. Maybe a little calf pain for the first week or two.... and I ran a marathon in them 5 weeks after I got them. And I PR'd!!!

I will *never* go back to regular running shoes ever again!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    About 5 years I was doing a lot of running, a couple half marathons, training for a tri-athalon. I had always been plagued by the foot pain that the doctors, physical therapists and guys in the shoe store attributed to the over-protonation (swollen feet, numbness, knee and ankle pain). I bought all the fancy supportive shoes and a lot of money on orthodics and physical therapy. It got worse and worse until one find day I actually couldn't walk any more without being in agony. Given that I was following all the doctor's advice with no success I figured I needed to give up on the running. Stopped for a couple years (cycled and swam instead) until my feet were healed, tried running again with orthodics and boom, instant agony and swelling. So gave up again for a year to heal my feet and consider other options. In the meantime I read the book and did some of my own research. I bought the merrell/vibram barefoot runners and have been running in them for about 6 months. Super comfy, no problems as of yet. I eased into them pretty slow and have concentrated a lot on not heal striking. I am still only doing 3 mile runs max, but I have been incorporating more intervals (so I'm sprinting as well). So far I have not a problem. I love them. I will not put any other running shoe on my foot, but as I said, I am taking it very slow.
  • stevensashen
    Options
    I've got a similar story... at 45, after a 30 year break, I got back into sprinting. I had one injury after another for 2 years and then a friend suggested I go barefoot.

Within 3 weeks, my injuries were gone, never to come back. I'm now a Masters All-American sprinter.

Geek that I am, I made a bunch of huaraches running sandals for the local barefooters... and that turned into http://www.invisibleshoe.com where we have free plans to make your own sandals, as well as sandal kits and custom-made shoes... all of them are the closest thing there is to barefoot (we were just featured in the Nat Geo Running Gear Guide and Runners World in South Africa!)
  • ztdavis82
    ztdavis82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So Eleisabelle, now that it's been a few months since you started this conversation, did you ever make the transition into barefoot/minimalist running? If so, what has your experience been?

I've only been running short distances (3 miles or so) about three times a week and have already been to the doctor with plantar fasciitis. Now going again today for a calf injury and hip pain. I'm apprehensive to accept that my body just wasn't built for running, so now I'm thinking about making a gradual transition and seeing if that helps. It certainly couldn't hurt at this point.

Anyhow, would love to hear any feedback - positive or negative - that you could offer.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    From everything that I have read, new runners adjust to the minimalist/barefoot style much more easily than trained runners.

Bone remodeling can take anywhere from 8 months to 6 years depending on the location and stress it is under. Our feet and legs will require a great deal of remodeling when we start running and/or when we transition to extremely flexible soles.

For beginning runners, our cardiovascular system needs to develop as well, which probably keeps pace with our bone remodeling.

Experienced runners already have the cardiovascular endurance, but not the properly strengthened bones to handle barefoot running ... hence the reason so many experienced runners end up fracturing bone and developing other injuries when they make the transition. Too much too fast can cause debilitating injuries every single time.

I've transitioned to VFFs as a new runner, and have not had any injury issues due to my shoe choice. When I go barefoot, I have to be careful of developing hot spots, because that will keep me out of running for several days while healing.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've only been running short distances (3 miles or so) about three times a week and have already been to the doctor with plantar fasciitis. Now going again today for a calf injury and hip pain. I'm apprehensive to accept that my body just wasn't built for running, so now I'm thinking about making a gradual transition and seeing if that helps. It certainly couldn't hurt at this point.

Ztdavis82,

I've read wonderful stories from plantar fasciitis sufferers who made the switch and now run injury free. However, I do not know any personally.

If you decide to transition, I would begin a walking program for a couple weeks, and when you decide to do your first run, go no further than 1/3 of a mile ... and your pace may be slower.

I go barefoot for a majority of my day, and I think that has helped my own transition immensley.
  • ztdavis82
    ztdavis82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you decide to transition, I would begin a walking program for a couple weeks, and when you decide to do your first run, go no further than 1/3 of a mile ... and your pace may be slower.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely take it slow. Looking forward to trying it though. I've been doing Couch 2 5K and keep getting hurt at Week 7, so at this point, I'm ready to try an alternative.

I'll report back once I try it for a while.