Flat ab workouts for women?

Options
I'm trying to find workout that make the abs flatter instead of bigger, because I'm trying to get the slim look. It would need to be something that I can do at home, and heads up, I just started exercising again >< . Any suggestions? All are greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I assume you are at a caloric deficit? If so, they won't get bigger.

Eat right, do squats and dead lifts, be patient, eat right, be patient. It'll happen.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. "Flat abs" are a function of diet more than anything else. For most of us, the fat around the midsection is the last to go, so stay consistent and keep at it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would try spanx.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    For the stomach to get flat, you must lose the fat!

It's all about diet.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I never do specific ab targeting exercises yet I have a pretty flat stomach. My genetics apparently dictate that my body stores it's excess fat (which I still have a good amount of) on my legs and not in my stomach. I do compound weight lifting with heavy (to me) weights. Squats and overhead press seem to work my core enough to give me the stomach muscles I want.

Reducing body fat stores, wherever they might be, is done with a calorie deficit not specific targeting exercises.
  • wifeycrisp
    wifeycrisp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    None! Don't work out your abs! It's all in what you put in your body. Make sure you cut out the processed foods, cut out sugar and white breads/rice/pasta! and voila.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    None! Don't work out your abs! It's all in what you put in your body. Make sure you cut out the processed foods, cut out sugar and white breads/rice/pasta! and voila.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that. No reason to make things overly complicated. I eat all those foods you listed on a regular basis and my stomach is flat.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

orlly? Its all about the big bad carbs?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Obviously, lose the fat. There...said it. But, I normally eat around 100 carbs/day. I do feel that this has helped me lose those last few pound of fat.

But I have found that working my core, transverse abs, has pulled in my abs. I do planks and ab vacuums. Youtube ab vacuums. Now, I can not pull my abs in like those people can, but I sure do try! I have nice abs, but always felt that I looked puffy or bloated in my abs....doing these (along with losing some extra fat) has made my tummy nice and flat.

Now, you may not see results right sway....having 6 kids, I think my transverse abs were shot. But, I can finally tell a difference in my ab vacuums!! I can pull them in a lot further now than when I first started.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Lose weight. Captain's Chair. Planks. Crunches.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I would try spanx.

x2
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I disagree. No food or type of food = weight gain in specific areas. Nor does the absence of any food/type of food lead to spot reduction. Excess cals = weight gain, shortage of cals (deficit) = weight loss.

Any food, given too much quantity, can and will lead to weight gain.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was recently introduced to this site: http://randomabs.com/ it's great for gettin' in a quick ab workout at home.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Whoever mentioned spanx...needs a spank. SHAME!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My abs are flat and I eat plenty of sugar and carbs. I do mind my calorie intake though.

The only true ab exercises I do are planks and medicine ball twists a couple of times a week. I get most of my core workout through deadlifts, squats, and lunges just as the other posters suggested.