Okay, so I'm skinny fat....

Options
well not skinny, but almost at goal weight. I'm currently 140 pounds, down 35 pounds...here's the issue. I signed up for a community wellness program and I had to get a lot of tests...everything was great, my HDL cholesterol was a little low, but everything else was good. My 41 year old body was given a body age rating of 32...the kicker was my % body fat 29.9...UGH!...I know I have to start doing something different, working out differently (currently I run a couple of miles a day, 4 times a week), eating differently ( I don't eat a lot of meat, so my carb intake tends to be high, but it's mostly from veggies and fruits). I haven't kept my diary like I should for a while, but I'm starting again today. I need some advice, or at least a nudge onto the right track. Please be kind!

Replies

• jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try strength training
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    I second the stregnth training, and doing that hand in hand with making sure you get enough protein.
  • Rylie324
    Rylie324 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your BMI question but WTG on your 35lbs loss! You must be doing something right!
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Awesome weight loss, well done!

With regards to the skinny fat thing: Increase your protein by A LOT. 1g for every lb of lean muscle weight you have. Also, do strength training. Weight lifting, compound exercises etc. When you do runs, make sure you sprint a lot, or else cut your runs out and walk instead. (walking and sprinting are good for building muscle. Runs and jogs can deplete it). You'll probably put on a wee bit of weight, or lose it at a slower rate, but you'll get much much smaller and tighter!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Strength training is the only thing that will solve "skinny fat". :)
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    great job!
    Like people have said, try strength training ! dont be sad if that makes the scale stand still for a while, take your measurements instead. Good luck! (also dont be afraid to go hard! )
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Runs and jogs can deplete it

Running can deplete muscle? How so?
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Lift weights!!
    Yessss
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try strength training
    This! :smile:
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    1/ Substitute some running for strength training. If you have time, keep running or doing some cardio and do the weights as well. But do the weights 3 x a week or so.
    2/You will need to change out some carb calories for protein. If you are not too fond of meat, eat fish. If you don't like fish,
    go the protein shake route.
    3/In a relatively short period of time, you will see your body fat percentage drop below 25%. Although this is a perfectly acceptable number for most women, you can check the charts relative to your age and pick out a realistic goal number.
    Have fun!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

With regards to the skinny fat thing: Increase your protein by A LOT. 1g for every lb of lean muscle weight you have. Also, do strength training. Weight lifting, compound exercises etc. When you do runs, make sure you sprint a lot, or else cut your runs out and walk instead. (walking and sprinting are good for building muscle. Runs and jogs can deplete it). You'll probably put on a wee bit of weight, or lose it at a slower rate, but you'll get much much smaller and tighter!
    I'm very skeptical on this. Do you have any back up for that statement?

I agree with every one on adding strength training. I love New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a book that gives you the exercises and guidance on nutrition. I know a lot of people that have done it with amazing results.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    29%bf is actually not so bad. Can you improve it? Sure, that would be great. But your current BF% is not going to kill you. :)

Losing fat is a process of burning more calories than you consume. Having lost 35lbs, which is AWESOME, you know how to do that. So you may actually have a bit more fat to lose. Other than that, it really does require some strength training to take your body from an average BF% to a more athletic one.

If you belong to a gym I would inquire about having someone show you a little about using the weights :)
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    well not skinny, but almost at goal weight. I'm currently 140 pounds, down 35 pounds...here's the issue. I signed up for a community wellness program and I had to get a lot of tests...everything was great, my HDL cholesterol was a little low, but everything else was good. My 41 year old body was given a body age rating of 32...the kicker was my % body fat 29.9...UGH!...I know I have to start doing something different, working out differently (currently I run a couple of miles a day, 4 times a week), eating differently ( I don't eat a lot of meat, so my carb intake tends to be high, but it's mostly from veggies and fruits). I haven't kept my diary like I should for a while, but I'm starting again today. I need some advice, or at least a nudge onto the right track. Please be kind!

If your goal is to lose more weight, why not do what you did before?
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

"Runs and jogs can deplete [muscle]" is new to me. Could you be so good as to cite a source for this?

Insofar as 1 gm/pound of "lean body muscle" I have body comps done at my fiancée's weight loss clinic on a routine basis so I know my LBM but I don't know how to determine "lean body muscle". How do you measure "lean body muscle"?
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

If your goal is to lose more weight, why not do what you did before?

I don't necessarily want to lose a lot more weight, I would like to reduce my body fat, because it was suggested that I may be a a slightly increased risk for heat disease and diabetes, both of which run in my family, because mine is currently in the moderate range (low on the moderate rage, but still higher than is suggested). I have a crazy schedule and the gym in my small town may not necessarily work for me, but I am seriously thinking about trying it for three months to see if it would be worth spending the money on. I know I could do some things on my own, but honestly would not know where to begin with strength training, I' like to get some "expert" advice, so the gym may be a viable option. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you don't have money or access to a gym, get some 5 and 10 pounds weights and either the 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30. Both of are pretty cheap and good at home strength workouts.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and hard! I have been doing pretty much no cardio for weeks and my BF% is the lowest it's ever been (22%). I lift for 60 minutes 4-5 times a week.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In short, nothing burns more fat than having muscle. Start with compounds to build a base. Look up starting strength.