New (with thyroid struggles)

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
Hi Everyone!

I’ve joined MFP with the advice of a friend that has had success for weight loss. I have used WW before with success, but found it a bit pricey since I really just wanted a food log. My main goal is to watch what I eat and notice weight gain trends. I have hashimoto’s thyroiditis and take synthroid for the hypothyroidism symptoms, but of course, since it is autoimmune the inflammation is a constant battle. (It doesn’t help that I love a lot of goitrogenic foods and can’t seem to give them up!) Because I have always had hypothyroidism, it’s always been a struggle to keep the weight off.

I’ve had numerous doctors recommend thyroid surgery as a quick fix to my inflammation, but I’m not looking for a quick fix! I’m here to get fit, stay fit, and eat healthy. With a low energy level and a sedentary with a long commute, sometimes that can be a challenge. Although I don’t have much to lose, I’d like to be able to monitor episodes and changes in my levels before they get too far out of whack and get in better shape to help reduce my symptoms.

My goals: low-carb for thyroid health and also strength training (I wouldn’t mind being fit for my wedding in October!)

My pet peeve: People that say, “You’re not that overweight so you don’t have to watch what you eat.” This is especially true on bagel-Fridays in the lunch room when I get a carb crash and symptom overload all day!

Is there anyone out there with similar goals or situations? If so, feel free to add me!:flowerforyou: