Strength Training at Home?

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
Does anyone have any tips for strength training at home? All I own are 5 lb dumbbell-shaped weights, a resistance band, and an exercise ball. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what even constitutes strength training other than lifting weights and using those machines at the gym. Do exercises like push-ups, crunches, squats, and planking count? Would pilates count? Basically I'm looking for something to help tone, to add to my cardio, so that as I lose the fat, I'll start to get lean (don't want to end up skinny-fat)! Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Replies

• Tanyaclare
    Tanyaclare Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hi why don't you look at Mens fittness they have loads of different workouts and have some for the home x
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I believe the things you listed do count, but after awhile it may not be enough and you will either have to get more creative or invest in a gym membership or some heavier weights.
  • chatdude
    chatdude Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes those things count. The problem is doing them consistently. Just try to stay motivated!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Part of the problem is I have very little free time. Pretty much every weeknight, after getting home from work and taking care of the daily obligations, I end up on the computer in front of the TV for an hour before bed, either working or planning my wedding. I thought it might be helpful to use the commercials as breaks and take that time to do sets of crunches, push-ups, etc. I already do 30 mins of cardio in the mornings before work and although I know that wouldn't be a ton of strength training, I thought it might be a good start, and something to do on days I'm busier than others and can't take another 30 minutes straight out of my day.