Can't build muscle in a deficit?

Options
SpazzyMal
SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
I keep seeing this being written and I understand how that makes sense - muscles take calories to build, of course. But I wonder, out of honest curiosity and a lack of serious knowledge on the subject, if the fact one is in a deficit really means they can't build muscle? Assuming someone isn't absolutely starving themselves and has weight to lose, their bodies should be pulling fat for energy, right? Wouldn't the body just pull a little extra to try to keep up with the demands you're putting on it, and thus build some muscle? I ask because I'm in a deficit but I definitely notice I'm getting stronger while I work out, and I just wanted to hear a little more about this, to help me understand better. I see that term said a lot on here but nobody ever goes into detail about it. I want the deets!

Replies

• momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Curious to see some replies!
  • jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BUMP...ME TOO!
  • momma_a
    momma_a Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am just barely in a deficit myself. I do wonder if its possible to eat my calories and still build a little muscle. Not a LOT, but a little more wouldn't hurt :)
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am curious too.

I think I read on here last year that you are not making new muscle cells, more like you are waking them up. But I really have no idea.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes lean protein and a good amount of it, water, fiber and exercise!!!

Limit sodium, simple carbs and fat!!

No real difference from any healthy plan.

Now if someone is try to bulk up that will take more protein and carbs and lifting which is different from regular exercises.

Hope that helps!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I really don't know enough to weigh in on the muscle building on a deficit debate, but I do know this: Strength building does not necessarily mean muscle building, neuromuscular adaptations can explain increased strength without muscle growth. Think of your muscles as a bundle of strings- when you go to use your muscle your brain sends a message and some of the strings get "fired", and they contract, enabling you to pick something up or walk or whatever the task is. Particularly when you first start strength training, part of the training is communication between your brain and your muscle, where your brain tells the muscle to fire up more of the existing strings and use what is there more efficiently, giving you more strength with the same amount of muscle.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you are eating ample protein, then you should be able to lose the fat without losing any muscle mass (and even gain some muscle).

The focus should be on eating low calorie and moderate carbs (the good carbs in veggies and fruit), while eating ample amounts of protein and fat. Your body responds by burning fat instead of carbs. You still get enough carb for necessary bodily function (so you aren't going into ketosis).
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I really don't know enough to weigh in on the muscle building on a deficit debate, but I do know this: Strength building does not necessarily mean muscle building, neuromuscular adaptations can explain increased strength without muscle growth. Think of your muscles as a bundle of strings- when you go to use your muscle your brain sends a message and some of the strings get "fired", and they contract, enabling you to pick something up or walk or whatever the task is. Particularly when you first start strength training, part of the training is communication between your brain and your muscle, where your brain tells the muscle to fire up more of the existing strings and use what is there more efficiently, giving you more strength with the same amount of muscle.
    That makes sense to me, I suppose I hadn't really considered that yet.

Still interested in hearing more if anyone's got more to weigh in with. =D
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    First it wouldn't take the energy from fat stores and turn that into muscle. As I understand it, it'd take energy from your food to build muscle, and then use fat stores to run your body. But your body is a pretty efficient machine. For the most part, when it's "starving" it isn't going to use energy for something "unnecessary" like building new muscle. However, for those who are obese, new to lifting, or returning to lifting, it might use a little bit of food to build a little bit of muscle because it hasn't figured out that it's not a necessity yet. And yes I realize this is a huge simplification... Let me find an article that explains it better.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Becoming stronger and gaining strength is not the same as gaining muscles, musclemass or building muscles. I think its pretty important to seperate the two. As already mentioned neuromuscular adaption plays a part in this.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The only ways you are going to gain muscle on a deficit are the following:
    1) Newbie gains - New Lifter
    2) Returning Lifter
    3) Amazing Genetics
    4) Drugs
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    There is something to the concept of "noob gains", where if you're new to strength training you can gain some visible muscle tone and strength in a short time even in a [slight] deficit. But that won't last very long.

You can lean out in maintenance - I did - basically doing a recomp instead of a true bulk and cut cycle. I lost 3-4% body fat in 8 weeks eating at maintenance. But I'm pretty small anyway, I'm not sure how that would play out if you're bigger (or a guy, for instance).
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I only came to say that just because your muscles are working more efficiently does not necessarily mean that you have built muscle mass
  • jdhowell88
    jdhowell88 Posts: 15
    Options
    YOU CANNOT BUILD MUSCLE ON A DEFECIT!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    The only ways you are going to gain muscle on a deficit are the following:
    1) Newbie gains - New Lifter
    2) Returning Lifter
    3) Amazing Genetics
    4) Drugs
    100x over^^^^^^^
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I saw a study that basically demonstrated that yes, you can build muscle in a calorie deficit. In fact, it reccomended strength training to [preserve muscle while losing weight. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but I think you could build a third as much muscle in deficit as in surplus.
  • jdhowell88
    jdhowell88 Posts: 15
    Options
    you CANNOT build muscle in a defecit! end of!