going to Washington D.C need idea's

Options
Hubby and I will be going to washington dc and would like some ideas from people that have been there or you work or live in the area of where to stay, eat and even go to see. Would it even be worth renting a car? Or just depend on the taxis's to get from one place to another? We will be there for atleat 6 full days.

Any ideas would be appreciated

These are just a few things we would like to see:
George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens
International Spy Museum
Library of Congress
National Air and Space Musuem
National Museum of Crime & Punishment
Smithsonian Institution
U.S. Capitol
Washington Monument
White House Visitor Center

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:

Hop on the DC Metro. Best way to travel through DC and only like $8 for the whole day. Takes you pretty much anywhere within walking distance of all the great stuff you want to see.

There are a group of restaurants within a couple of blocks from each other, all owned by the same guy, but all different walks of life that we love.

1. Zaytinya (greek small plates) is located two blocks from the Archives/Naval Memorial station on the Green and Yellow lines.

2. Oyamel at 7th and D is authentic Mexican food, but nothing like what we are used to in the US. It was so yummy and small portions.

3. Jaleo is down the street from Oyamel, also small plates, and is food from Spain.

The Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery is also a really cool place to go to if you like paintings. It reopened recently and my husband and I find it fascinating.

As far as hotels, try Priceline. You can put in what star hotel you want and get some really good choices.

We live in Maryland and often will take a day trip to DC because you can do it inexpensively and have a blast. I hope you do too!
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Strongly agree with using the metro - you can get where you need to go without the headaches of DC traffic and the high cost of parking. You can find a wide selection of hotels surrounding metro stops (as well as a wide variety of restaurants throughout the city) - take a look at restaurant reviews through the Washington Post. Have Fun :glasses:
    PS If you are going in the summer, the heat and humidity can be a bit high - though I understand this past week we've had some great weather [I am currently out of town]
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I lived in Northern Virginia for over 6 years, and worked in DC.
    I always loved visiting Ford's Theater on 10th street.

If you have any interest in religion, or just beautiful architecture, I also recommend the National Cathedral, and the National Shrine to the Immaculate Conception.

If this is a 'once in a lifetime' type visit, I strongly encourage the National Archives, also the Arlington National Cemetery - even if all you can have time for is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.

Another suggestion (a bit heavy, but well worth the visit) is the Holocaust Museum.

And, you already mentioned several of the things on the mall. Don't forget the Lincoln Memorial, and the Vietnam Memorial, the Natural History Museum, and the American History Museum.

Enjoy your visit!!
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

ksumme. Hubby and I went to the Holocaust Museum in Houston Tx and we learned so much there and yes I think we will be going to the one in Washington museum.

lulabellewoowoo : Thank you for telling me about a few resturants that are in the area and also the Metro line

hoamai: We are from Tx so the heat and humidity we are use to. We will be going sometime in Sept./Oct. Thank you for letting me know that we should use the metro line to get around