Options
I worked out yesturday..I did...

10 mins tredmill
15 minutes cross trainer
6 minutes eliptical
4 sets of 10 back extensions on 70lbs
3 sets of 7 rowing
2 sets of 5 chest press

and i am soooooooooo sore!!!!!! My back and stomach are killing me! my legs are still killing me from the 30 day shred. (which i didnt do yesturday because of my downstairs neighbors complaining about me jumpen on the floor lol.

I am soooo sore it hurts to walk...should i take it easy today?

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Drink water

Eat protein

Go for a walk (30mins to an hour)

Drink more water

Hit it hard again tomorrow.

At least that is what works for me!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Go for a gentle walk today, and do a full-body stretch afterwards to stretch out those muscles. You should also make sure you stretch straight after doing your workout each time you work out - it'll help to distribute the lactic acid more evenly and will reduce the soreness. Keep in mind though, that being sore is good!!
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    I do Insanity ( I am a Beachobody Coach, so I am bias) but we have Results and Recovery that we drink after our workouts to help with soreness. But you can possibly just drink a protein shake, or even eat something high in protein.

to help with pain now, soak in a warm tub with epson salt, and rub some muscle cream on your legs and back :)

HTH!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get moving since that will help loosen it up, just dont work out the exact same muscle groups in the exact same way. like maybe today you can use an exercise bike or elliptical

things that help minimize soreness : wearing compression gear when you work out, proper warm up with dynamic stretching before and proper cool down and static stretching afterwards, foam rolling, alternating temperature baths or showers, massage, getting proper sleep and eating enough calories and protein to help your body repair tissue
  • tanjonmom2
    tanjonmom2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Water, chocolate milk, protein, take a bath with epson salt or make rub of epson salt and water and use as exfoliant, more water, more water, protein, and arnica gel and tablets. Then hit it hard the next day.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Protein.
    That works for me.
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    **Warm Bath**, Epsom Salt, Stretching!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I stick to my regular work out schedule. If I'm sore I just work through it until I'm eventually not so sore anymore.

Oh yeah one time I tried a contrast bath thing cause I saw all the pros doing it. It was the worst experience ever and I'm not sure if it worked.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the great workout!! I often suffer from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) mine hits about two days after an intense workout. I usually take L glutamine and L arginine before and after an intense session and it really helps cut down on the soreness for me. I also take a nice walk to work it out so to speak. Those first few steps really hurt but after you get the blood flowing to the muscles it really eases up the pain. I agree with the others....stretch stretch stretch!! I've got a bad habit of not stretching enough myself. .lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    When I am really really really really sore....... I work out.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, there is not much you can do now that your already sore. Here are some things I have been told which have helped me avoid getting sore in the first place

1. Don't over-do it. (push to your limits but listen to your body)
    2. Warm up & Cool down (stretching helps tons)
    Also walk or a light jog can help (increases oxygen in your system)
    3. Eat lots of protien within 30 minutes of your routine
    4. Give the muscles at least a day to recoupe
    5. Avoid alchohol, smoking, generally unhealthy activities, etc....

Not sure if there is any secret but this tends to work for me. I still get sore but not to the point where I can't function.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hot Epsom Salt Bath-Plenty of Water-Good, Proper Stretching
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Absorbine Horse Liniment...like MaxFreeze on steroids. Will definitely zap away any muscle pain.
  • aztec1966
    aztec1966 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am 64 years old and work out 7 days a week for two hours at a time. I do 1 hour of cardio every other day. Sure, I feel sore at my age, but I drink pleanty of water, take muscle milk and 1 heaping teaspoon of glutamine w/ my protein drink. I have been exercising regularly for almost 2 years and my 42 year old son just told me about MFP. My son lost 100 lbs in 9 months w/ MFP and does 1 hour of cardio every day. Best of luck.