Do I have to eat excerise calories the same day?

Options
emily115
emily115 Posts: 78 Member
There are times where I dont want to eat them, so lets say I burned 300 cals, then can I eat them the next day instead? Or later that week?

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sure. I know plenty of people who look at their calorie intake on a weekly basis vs daily.
  • melissabillington
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing : )
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's way more healthy, psychologically, to think of your diet in terms of weekly and not daily. It gives you wiggle room to fit normal life into your healthy lifestyle choices. So I think if you want to save your exercise calories for the next day, that's a good strategy, especially if you have to go out for drinks or dinners or whatever social obligations you have. You won't have to feel guilty because it will all even out.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Good luck keeping track of that if you dont.....

Say on Monday you earned 212 Cals
    Then Tuesday you earned 500 Cals
    You mean to tell me you just will eat 712 Cals just for the heck of it?
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    ehh.. i dont know.....

I don't want people to start thinking that if they eat below thier BMR then hey can binge on the weekend with drinks and horrible food, and stay under calories.That just doesn't seem healthy.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I believe WW says no, those calories have to be eaten the day you worked out.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I look at the weekly totals. If I'm under one day and over another it doesn't matter to me as long as I am close on the weekly.
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    Good luck keeping track of that if you dont.....

Say on Monday you earned 212 Cals
    Then Tuesday you earned 500 Cals
    You mean to tell me you just will eat 712 Cals just for the heck of it?

It wouldn't be for the "heck of it". It'd be because she had an additional deficit of 712cals.

Try it out. See how it works for you.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It's probably not a good idea so save all your exercise cals for one day (ie earn 1000 exercise cal and eat that much extra on one day) However, it's perfectly normal to eat 100 -200 cal less than the exercise cal for the day and save a couple days for a friday/saturday night dinner with friends. While it's the daily choices that effect our success, our success is measured by the week. As long as you're creating a weekly deficit, technically you should lose (ie 500 less cal/day is 1 lb/week)
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Within the same week has worked for me, but I wouldn't save up thousands of calories and binge in one day. The Droid Ap actually calculates remaining calories for the week (Monday - Sunday) which is great if you tend to eat more on weekends. I also try to workout more on days I know I will splurge. Without an HRM, I don't necessarily trust the calories burned calculations, and I don't completely trust the intake calories, so I try to only eat about 1/2 to 3/4 back.

BTW: If I know I'm saving up for some special event, I'll keep a running tab of my deficit on the food notes for that day.
    Example: If I know we're going out with friends Friday night, I'll start logging deficits on Friday's Food Notes:
    M= -53; Total -53
    T=-50; Total -103
    W= -100; Total -203
    ETC.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion...I was telling the OP to try it.
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    I was telling the OP to try it.

Gotcha
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well .. there are some days i dont work out but still have extra calories from another day i will eat a few of them back... as long as i meet my weekly goal i dont see a problem with it. i still have been losing weight.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I usually "save" a couple hundred calories for the end of the week because I tend to eat out or indulge a little extra on the weekends.

So I say go for it, it has been working for me for the past 4 months. :smile:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I look at mine on a weekly basis. Seems to be working out ok for me, although obviously I can't say if I would be doing better if I didn't do it that way.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No, you don't. My calories flip flop all the time. I have maintained my weight give or take a couple pounds for 3 years. I average at 140lbs at 5 feet 8 inches tall. I say go for it!
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    yes, if overall body weight is your only concern.

If you are concerned with your body composition i.e: how much fat vs. muscle you have then, dont...

Ideally eat your exercise calories immediately BEFORE you exercise, this will be, generally, the most benificial method of increasing lean/muscle mass and reducing fat mass.

but each body is different and it depends also on what you have eaten. there are plenty of resources online regarding body building, you should read some and this will teach you.
  • Catrinaxox
    Catrinaxox Posts: 7
    Options
    The new WW plus points gives you additional weekly points to be eaten.
  • alyblue
    alyblue Posts: 20
    Options
    i follow diet strictly measuring etc 6 days of the week. on sunday i take an "off day". I don't binge eat but I dont measure absolutely everything, i just kind of eyeball my portions and I don't mark them on fitnesspal. I try to just have a day I enjoy. Fitness wise, it's better if you eat the calories the same day. If you don't, I would just start the next day fresh and hey you've burned an extra 300cals that can go to weight loss. If you're hungry though, eat them.