Worsening Depression and Vitamin D levels

Options
talrcat
talrcat Posts: 97 Member
Last fall my chronic depression was getting so much worse. My doctor increased my antidepressant, but it did not help. In Feb. of this year, she wanted to add another "helper" (Welbutrin) to the mix. My symptoms of lethargy, no motivation, low energy, were quite severe. Near the end of our conversation, she told me she wanted to do a blood screen to check my Vitamin D level... 3 Days later, she called and told me that my vitamin D level was very deficient (10 ng/mL). She put me on 12 weeks of a once a week mega dose Vitamin D, as well as a daily dose of vitamnin D and calcium.
I started feeling better within a month, and by the time I finished the megadoses, I was feeling so good that I was able to decrease my regular dose of antidepressant. ( I never did start the welbutrin).

My vitamin D level is now 42...

I just wanted to get my experience out there, because it made SUCH a HUGE impact on how I feel.

Replies

• srtakelch
    srtakelch Posts: 24
    Options
    So glad you were able to lessen your syptoms! I got vit D deficient when I was working night shift since I wasn't exposed to the sun (which needed for vitamin D absorbtion). Somtimes conventional medicine just wants to give you a bunch of drugs! Good for your doctor for finding a better solution!

Remember for everybody else who reads your post though that megadose vitamins are not for everyone - they can really hurt you if you don't need it. Only follow doctor's orders with vitamins and don't self - medicate yourself on any megadose vitamin. Here's an article about it : http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1749813
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I was borderline low with vit D (25) so my FNP put me on 800 IU vit D daily--no mega doses. I feel better, I'm supposed to get my level checked next week.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    This was really valuable advice thank you!

I'm going to have some job getting my GP to give me a Vit D test, though. He thinks all my ideas are harebrained and crackpot. Wait until I tell him this one! :(

Well, at least I can try!