Foot ware and tips for plantar faciitus

Options
Any body with plantar faciitus out there?

I am looking for good shoes and sneakers, any advice exercises would be great.
My feet really hurt when walking and any exercise involving standing up.

Replies

• 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Anybody?
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    First off, go to a good well known running store or place that has inserts, etc for PF. If you don't have that option, see a Dr.

1) Straussberg sock http://www.thesock.com/
    2) stretch those calves
    3) do the alphabet with your feet
    4) pick up a sock with your toes in the seated position and lift it up, repeat 20 times each side 3x a day to strengthen the foot
    5) epsom salt bath for your feet
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've had some issues with that the last couple of years.
    Well, I have found that some nikes seem to have best support for me.
    I spent a couple hrs trying on various brands last time I went looking.
    In the end I also ended up getting Dr Scholls arthritis insoles for around $10, it really helped for most of my shoes, including my older nikes. I don't have to stay taped up all the time now, so that's really nice!

Hope that helps. :)
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I have battled with it for going on 2 years now :frown: Some mornings I am nearly almost to the point of crawling.I have been to the docs. and most of them recommend the stretching exercises and ice for inflammation.I highly recommend getting your feet properly measured...either from a podiatrist that does it or at a quality shoe store.I have wide feet and always bought my shoes way too long to compensate for the width......in the past,I would buy size 8 and I actually wear a 6.5W......you also need to know what type of feet you have...flat,high arch or normal......this will make a difference in the type of shoe you need.Go to FootSmart.com.....they have some awesome shoes.....I just received a pair in the mail and I am super satisfied with them.Good shoes can be a little pricey,but after dealing with this for so long,I have decided to throw out all those "bad fitting" shoes I own and invest in just a couple of really good pairs.....your feet are sooo worth it! Hope you get some relief soon!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    First off, go to a good well known running store or place that has inserts, etc for PF. If you don't have that option, see a Dr.

1) Straussberg sock http://www.thesock.com/
    2) stretch those calves
    3) do the alphabet with your feet
    4) pick up a sock with your toes in the seated position and lift it up, repeat 20 times each side 3x a day to strengthen the foot
    5) epsom salt bath for your feet

A lot of this is good advice.

I have battled this for 7 years. I had the night braces, done all the stretching exercises, cortisone injections, shoe inserts, icing after walking of running massaging with a golf ball - hot tubs, and it still bothers me under certain conditions.

The absolute best thing was recommended by my podiatrist after he couldn't solve the issue with other treatments: Skechers Shape Ups with the cantilever spring. It moved the pressure off the ball and heal of the foot and I can now run 10K without the pain.

Good shoes are a must, and I tried them all. I had a gate analysis and all the running store help I could find. I have hundreds of $$$ worth of shoes that don't work as well. The quality of Sketchers is not as good as some of the others, so get 2 pairs.

Good luck.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I suffered for 5-6 years with plantar fasciitis & the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to find a doctor that is certified in Active Release Therapy (ART). It was so bad for me even after multiple cortisone shots in the heel (not fun) & custom orthotics (they do help & are better than the Dr. Schools versions), I could barely walk upright. The fasciitis created back problems & with me working two jobs, I had no energy, I hurt all the time & I was miserable.

With ART, they don't just crack your back, they work the affected areas. Here's a link that details ART:

http://www.activerelease.com/about.asp

It took about 5 months (twice a week for the first 2-3), but this year I've lost 35 pounds, I'm mostly pain free & I'm actually running. I was never a runner & never wanted to run, but in a month I'm going to run in my first ever race, a 10K. I still work two jobs, but I have way more energy & I'm able to do more, whether it's around the house, playing with my children or at work.

I can't endorse ACT enough to anyone who has suffered with plantar fasciitis.
  • nancyko
    nancyko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have suffered and I mean suffered from this several times. After spending several thousand dollars, many trips to doctors, the night boot, etc., I think the thing that finally helped me was Birkenstock shoes and water arobics. I have every kind of Dr. Scholl's insert and none helped. The Birkenstock shoe is ugly and hard to get use to but they work. I also went to a good shoe store and got inserts for my tennis shoes. They were $85.00 but well worth it in the long run. The water arobics helped stretch my foot and leg with no pain because of the water. I have not had the problem in several years but I am very careful of what shoes I wear. I only buy good shoes, no flip flops and nothing flat without an arch. I try to stretch when I think of it and always look for the first sign of a problem. I had one of mine about a year and a half and it was horrible. Brought me to tears several times. I feel for anyone that has one and hope these hints help.
  • 123Linz
    123Linz Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for all of your ideas
  • pbamerson
    pbamerson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    After several attempts (footwear, cortisone injections, etc) surgery was the only fix for me. Two years and three 1/2 marathons later, still no pain. Good luck and I hope some of the suggestions here from others help you.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    Try compression socks - my son uses them for running
  • Rachel507
    Rachel507 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said..STRETCH! Also, I find rolling a can of food, I use green beans, under your foot back and forth helps after exercise. You could use a tennis ball too. :)
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yeah buddy! i have it too. my feet ache so bad after working out. i freeze a bottle of water and roll my foot over it when i get home from the gym, it seems to really east the tightness in the arch of my feet, but im trying to find a place around me that has the inserts for pf