Needing some help....

Options
Hey all! A little background, I am 25yo female. I have PCOS (which I only display the metabolic component of) and hypothyroidism. I also have a fairly severe spine condition that makes it painful to do high impact excercises. Plus I don't have the extra money for a personal trainer/ gym membership/ weight loss program/ ect. I am needing to lose between 80 and 100lbs. I have been on MFP for about 3 1/2 weeks and have been successful in loosing 19lbs. My question is for anyone with similar conditions what helped you succeed? Also for those that have lost a lot of weight, where you able to do it by counting calories and a moderate amount of excercise? Is it possible to meet my goal with my limitations? I am willing to do everything I can to lose the weight. My biggest fear is that I will stop loosing weight despite all of my efforts. Any help? Success stories? Similar situations? Words of advice? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Can you check out your local library for exercise dvds? I found quite a few that were low impact and sound like something that would be right up your alley. Also if you do a search for PCOS in the forums you will find a lot of threads from women who are going through the same issues you are facing. Best of luck!
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have not done a search yet for PCOS. I have however done some workout videos. I have found some excercise to do but I feel like it wont be enough to reach my goal.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and steady. Any exercise you can do is more than you were doing previously right? However the majority of weight loss comes from what you eat so it is possible to lose weight by focusing on diet alone. Have you talked to your doctor about exercises that they might recommend? If you experience pain because of your spinal condition, some yoga may be helpful for you. Also don't forget about swimming :happy:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Also maybe try Leslie Sansone's walk at home program. I love her DVDs even when I'm doing high impact programs as a break in intensity. You can find some to try on YouTube and many of her DVDs are available very inexpensively on Amazon and other sites. Go to her site and look at the success stories. You don't need high impact to lose weight just consistency, sensible eating and patience.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    diet alone can deliver weight loss if needs be, but can you do some lifting exercise to build strength in your arms (and legs if the spinal thing allows it). This is often shown to be of more benefit than aerobic exercise.