feeling down, how mch w8 did you lose before noticing

Options

Replies

• bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am down 40 from my highest, and can only now see a difference looking in the mirror. I noticed my clothes fit looses and took up a couple of belt notches along the way. Others could see it 20 lbs or so ago. but it took me about 40 to see. Hang in there, you so got this.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a tape measurer. ?sp? I pick the fattest part & measure around that. A half an inch here or there doesn't "look" like much, but add them up & the number gets pretty impressive. All over body loss takes longer to notice. What matters is you are on a healthy journey. Good luck!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6 pounds... and some of my jeans are getting REALLY big but they were big to begin with.

When I've lost weight before I went from a 16 to a 12 on bottom and a 1x to a L/sometimes M on top after 23 pounds.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Down 24 today, and just started to see a difference in how clothes fit, but not so much when I look in the mirror.
    Hang in there....It'll happen!! :flowerforyou:
  • surgesilk
    surgesilk Posts: 92
    Options
    Maybe 30 lbs or so.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    20....and it was like i was a new person!
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm down 85 and I JUST got my first weight loss comment. From my sister, but I still don't feel like I've done much. lol
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i notice in clothes but still dissatisfied with the way i look. i lost bout 20lbs before realizing hey i am feeling better with fibromyalgia then i dropped more n went almost n remission. i am currently 188lbs i dropped 50lbs and still feel huge..i am down n been down. til i almost gave up on exercising and just ate my daily calorie intake. now i am back n the swing of things and training for a 5k has motivated me enough to finish my weight loss.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I noticed after 15 lbs because my pants were a lot looser and I didn't get as inded going up my stairs.

I've lost close to 30 and my sister is the only who has noticed, LOL. Usually, the people who see you everyday (family, co-workers) take a long time to notice because they see you as you're changing. It's the people who haven't seen you in months or years who totally freak out when they see you.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12.2lbs so far and Im feeling discouraged...how much weight did you have to loose before you actually saw the difference?

It's extremely hard for people to notice when they've lost weight, I've lost 35 pounds and I don't notice. The only reason why I know I've lost weight is because of my pants and my bras. I take before and after pictures but I just assume my mirror is different or something. Anyways, don't get discouraged. The last thing you want to do is quit what you started, gain the weight back, and look back at this and think that if you kept going, you'd be bikini ready well before next summer.
    When you think about quitting, think about why you started.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I finally started noticing in my waist recently. After around 25 I noticed my thighs looking smaller.

But before I didn't notice anything at all. Even though a lot of my clothing stopped fitting/got looser.

Every week I have been finding or shedding stuff in my closet. And my bra size changed too.

I do notice improvements in strength and endurance. I use that to keep me motivated. Being able to walk uphill and not feel so winded. Leg pressing 200 pounds (up from ~150). Doing a full pushup. Doing walking planks. Stuff like that.

I know I really won't feel like I have lost until I hit size 14. I have spent the last 14 years or so in 16s and 18s. And right now that's where I am. (I am pear shaped, so when I reached my top weight, clothing went from being really lose in the waist to fitting perfectly and being snugger in the hips, so dropping clothing sizes has been slow going)
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I have lost 12.2lbs so far and Im feeling discouraged...how much weight did you have to loose before you actually saw the difference?

Well, I was morbidly obese so it took me some time. If that is you in your profile photo, you look really skinny already!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    A lot of times it's hard for us to see the changes in ourselves. I lost my first 30 or so while I was on medical leave and didn't really notice much of a difference other than "Oh my clothes seem a little looser", but when I got back to work everyone was SHOCKED at how different I looked. You'll notice it at some point, just keep on keepin on :)
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    On the scale, i don't see a single pound difference. BUT- i eat clean, and i workout 5 times a week doing weight training and cardio. At first i was devastated. I have been doing this for 8 weeks. I see a slight difference in my arms, and legs, but nothing drastic. I have yet to see results in stomach (which is basically the place i want to lose the most. I was told it takes the longest to get rid of, same with thighs). I started at 190lbs about a year ago, and am now at 145lbs. I have been at 145lbs for months and months now. Just because it doesn't show it on the scale, doesn't mean its not working. Like i said, i have been going strong as ever for 8 weeks. Be patient<3 If you work hard and stay consistent , you WILL see results . Keep up the great work and don't pay close attention to the scale. <3! Goodluck
  • kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's the Paper Towel Principle.

Every sheet in a roll of paper towel is the same size, thickness, shape. You can use half the roll before it looks any different to you though. After that, it's easier to notice it's getting smaller. Near the end, every sheet makes a difference.

Fat is kinda similar. :)

That's fantastic! I'm going to start referring to that principle! :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I would probably say 7 lbs, because I noticed my clothes fit better. I mostly notice my waist, but it's tiny small stuff. It looks noticeable, but not noticeable wearing clothes. I have a feeling once I hit the 20 lb loss it will be. I only reached 10 yesterday. :(
  • apedinger
    apedinger Posts: 57
    Options
    I think what it boils down to is that your brain will always play tricks on you.

I have a friend that inspired me to lose weight after she lost 120lbs...she says multiple times how she doesnt see the weight loss, still feels overweight.

Now here I am 47lbs down, people tell me on a daily basis how good I look, and how much weight I have lost, I have had to buy new clothes because the old stuff doesn't fit and yet I get discouraged looking in the mirror on a daily basis....I have to kick myself in the but though because I have lost almost 50lbs....you really gotta try just not picking on yourself if you dont feel it.
  • sugiravi
    sugiravi Posts: 48
    Options
    It's weird how we praise others for what they've accomplished but don't really see the same success in ourselves. I absolutely still feel *huge* when I look in the mirror and at the same time I'm frustrated because my clothes are too big for me. It's really the strangest thing. Anyway, I'm more of a numbers person. I try not to obsess over the scale, but I do feel all -accomplished- watching that number drop even though I can't see it in my appearance. At least I know I'm headed in the right direction.
  • squirrelygirl82
    Options
    I am down almost 12 pounds, and looking at me, I can't tell, but if I wear clothes that are not 'stretchy', I feel like I can tell a difference. For example, I can't tell when I am wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt (which is what I wear most days lounging around the house), but when I wear my scrubs at work, they have no give at all, and I feel like they are looser than they were before. I am also doing the JM 30 Day Shred, and feels like there is a little difference from that as well.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    100. It took me a while.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!