unusual situation

velvetwing
velvetwing Posts: 142
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Im looking for advise on upper body strenth building excercies. Last week I broke my left leg as well as an ankle dislocation that will need surgery in a few days, so I anticipate I will not be mobile for a while yet. My right ankle was also severly sprained in the accident so it has been a true challege to do the simplest of tasks with both legs out of comission. I have not had my leg set yet as there is still too much swelling. I am just beginning to put very little weight on the sprained ankle. My problem is that aside from the injuries, my muscles are extremly sore from trying to hoist myself up onto a wheelchair or up stairs (which is extremely exausting and makes my muscles sore) I have only made it upstairs twice in the last week. I need to be able to learn how to get around better but I thinik what I need is to build strength in my upper body. Im not sure what to do since Im mostly immoble, on my back with both feet in the air for about 23 hrs a day. Any advise is truely appreciated.... I need to get stronger.
Thank you :)

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    if it is just your ankles, maybe you can do push ups on your knees.

or lift some weights while laying around.

i don't have much advise for the upper body sorry.
  • Just keep moving...and move more every day. Make it a goal to get upstairs several times a day. Make it a goal to pull yourself up as much as possible... the very movements that are causing you soreness can be the very same exercises that you use to strengthen your upper body.

I've been out of commission with double leg injuries twice in my life...once with a bad sprain and a knee reconstruction and once with a broken foot and bad sprain... the more you move, the better you'll do, and the faster you'll gain that upper body strength you need.

Feel better!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Isometric exercises might help--although someone else will have to give you more specifics
    What about those elastic straps for some resistance training?
  • velvetwing
    Thanks everyone. I do have some bands that I think might help... just gotta get creative since I cant walk or stand much yet.
    It makes sense too to just keep trying to get around and keep using the muscles that are sore so I can build them up.
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    First off...I am so impressed with you! You can't move, you have kids and the pain has to be terrible and you are wondering how to strengthen you upper body to get around better. I would be whinning to no end! I am sorry you have to deal with that. I don't have any other advice for you but just wanted to say ...wow and I hope you heal quickly!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    hi there... i am from the green team and remembered you. so sorry to hear about your injury. i think the main thing here is to be patient as well, and give yourself time. sounds like you are positive in trying to stay active and keep your muscles limber.....good luck with your surgery and hope all heals well. take care! * hugs *
  • velvetwing
    Thank you all for support ! I love mfp even though Im not as active on here as I used to be. People here are incredible!
This discussion has been closed.