I can't live on only 1200 calories

Options
124»

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. No one should only eat 1200 calories a day. That would be miserable. The only time I eat that little is when I'm sick and have no appetite.

I don't know about you, but veggies don't fill me up. Maybe for like 30 minutes, but then 30 minutes later I'm ravenous and eating everything in sight.

Make sure you get enough fats and proteins, that helps with filling you up.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! If you are really that hungry, go ahead and eat the veggies. You don't want to push yourself too far, and then binge on real junk. Try drinking a big glass of water, or a nice cup of tea/coffee. For me, having a hot drink will slow me down enough to let the feeling of hunger pass. Sometimes I will jump on the treadmill, and then down a big glass of ice water. The exercise motivates me to not eat. Chew gum. Take a bubble bath with a good book. Find some foods that allow you to eat high volumes without lots of calories, like green beans, or even a couple apples. I know it stinks, but be stingy with your "extras", like dressing, butter, etc. Those add more than they're worth. Good luck to you.
  • amygaycheme
    amygaycheme Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you "hug"
  • eating4God
    eating4God Posts: 4
    Options
    How in the world are you eating peanut butter. I would have no calories left!
  • alexisj503
    alexisj503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Studies show eating protein and carbs together for breakfast curbs apetite and results in fewer calories consumed throughout the day. Add a chopped small banana to your oat meal. Sweeten with cinnamon or stevia, and add a dollop of raw almond butter on top (1-2 Tablespoons depending on your goals.) The addition of almond butter boosts the protein and promotes saiety. Not to mention adds vitamin e, calcium, and healthy monounsatured fat. Another favorite of mine is a breakfast smoothy with a fresh juiced orange, small banana, 1/2 c. frozen berries, and 1-2 Tbsp fresh ground chia, which is a complete protein and high in calcium and omega 3. Eggs and potatoes work especially well to curb appetite. I make a 2 egg scramble with green onions, shiitake mushrooms, and spinach cooked with just 1 tsp coconut oil. I top it with 1/4 cup shreded low fat cheese. i get the fat-free shredded potatoes and bake those spread out on a pizza pan in the oven so they cook fast with no fat. These breakfasts keep me feeling full till lunch, and the eggs / potatoes keeps me feeling full into the late afternoon, although I only eat that once a week. Fat free humus and rice crackers might works as good protein / carb snack.
  • amygaycheme
    Options
    I don't understand why people reply with suggestions on what to eat when that's obviously not the point here. If you're incredibly hungry at all times, it's because your body is telling you that it needs more food. Simple as that.

If you want cold numbers, you can calculate your bmr here:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Once you have that number, use it as a guide for the minimum amount of calories you need to eat every day for your body to function properly.

Then, you can calculate your TDEE, and you can read about that here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541567-once-you-have-your-tdee-and-bmr-next-step

The idea that we have to starve to lose weight is outdated and unhealthy. Good luck!
    this is what I got and it is wayyy different
    Custom BMR Calculation
    Thanks for checking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 34 year old female, 68 inches tall, weighing 157.8 pounds.

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 135 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1501 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1682
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1928
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2173
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2418
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2664

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.
  • barbjmcg
    barbjmcg Posts: 3
    Options
    If you exercise you can eat more food. I love it and so for I have not been hungry.
  • amygaycheme
    Options
    How in the world are you eating peanut butter. I would have no calories left!
    peanut butter?
  • iwillberipped
    iwillberipped Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Make them filling calories - high fiber and lean protein! Eat every 2-3 hours so you are not feeling overly hungery come meal time and you can eat smaller meals.
  • jojo197794
    jojo197794 Posts: 2
    Options
    It is tough only eating 1200 calories, but with lots of exercise those calories are given back to you so you can snack healthy and have a little more food. I just began this and would love any tips! thanks friends!

5600188.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ramsesmeza
    ramsesmeza Posts: 14
    Options
    You can also work out to "add" a few calories you can "treat" yourself with.
    I usually work my butt off everyday because I will probably have some treats for me. (little treats)
    Also, it's usually the carbs that add the more calories to your plan.
    Eat more protein and greens than you eat carbs and you will see the difference.
    =) good luck!
  • greenacrestkd5
    Options
    I love Almond Milk - only 40 calories per cup and great filler (I miix 1/2 cup of almond milk and fat free milk -- fat free milk has great protien!!). Another good filer is cabbage spicy soup with mushrooms, it has been shown that you eat less when you have soup before a meal. If you like spice it revs up your metabolism.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1501 calories.

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

This is what I was talking about. While this number isn't gospel, it's a guideline. Now you canc alculate your TDEE to be able to figure out what's the max number of calories.You have to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This will not be a popular answer. I was able to lose 140 lbs in 7 months on 1200 - 1300 calories a day. Was I hungry? Yes. Did I lose lean body mass? Yes. Did I lose the weight I wanted quickly? Yes. It's all a matter of will power. You can survive and be healthy on 1200 calories a day. Just create a balanced diet plan. I did have labs taken every 4 weeks to make sure I wasn't becoming deficient in anything and I did have a lot for my body to use to make up the difference.

All that being said, after the initial hardcore drop I started adjusting up, I lost another 20 lbs over the next 5 months while adjusting up from 1200 -1300 a day to 3100 cals daily. It is all about calories in versus calories out. At 3100 calories a day, with my cardio level, I was losing 3 lbs every 2 weeks. In an effort to regain my lost muscle, two weeks ago I went from 7 days of cardio to 3 days of cardio and 3 days of lifting and no adjustment on intake. After 18 days I'm up .8 lb, hopefully mostly muscle.

Anyways it's a journey. You can make it as fast, moderate, or slow paced as you want it to be. It's all about will power and dedication. Good luck, you can do it if you believe in yourself. Don't let anyone tell you differently or stand in your way.

-M
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I haven't found it too difficult to do 1200 calories a day. Just as of recently though. But I am pretty short so that probably has a lot to do with it!
    I don't eat meat. I limit my snack foods (or I have low calorie ones). I don't eat much bread. I rarely eat cheese. I never drink normal pop or juice or anything like that. So high in calories.
    I eat a lot of veggies.
    I also eat things like low calorie yogurt, oatmeal, fruits.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    You are just starting, right? I was given a 1280 calorie goal for the day and had a VERY hard time with it for the first 10 days or so. What I've had to do is get used to making food choices that are filling and low in calories. Fruits and veggies are great for this and keeping them on-hand for snacking during the day makes it easier. Be patient while you are learning to eat differently - it does take some adjustment. As you get used to the new reality, the feeling of being hungry ALL. THE. TIME. does ease and you will stop feeling like you are depriving yourself.
  • amygaycheme
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will add more calories but call them "veggie calories" I was feeling guilty about going over my calories yesterday by eating some cherry tomatoes! Now I am thinking really? this helps and makes sense.

This is what I was talking about. While this number isn't gospel, it's a guideline. Now you canc alculate your TDEE to be able to figure out what's the max number of calories.You have to figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I found out my BMR and set my calories to that...just brought it down from just over 1700 cals a day to 1600 as I've lost weight and eat a lot of protein and some slow burning carbs, fresh fruit and veg, greek yoghurt, legumes etc. I started on 1200 but always had a hungry feeling and a little tired as well. As soon as I bumped up the calories, I had more energy to burn, and am regularly losing around 1.5 - 2lb a week