Couch to 5K?

Options
mstx70
mstx70 Posts: 23 Member
Looking for feedback, thinking about starting this program. Thanks!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a graduate - went from being a complete non-runner to being able to run the 5k distance. I followed the program exactly and made it through with no repeat days, and no injuries. :smile: I'm still running 3 days per week, my farthest distance was 5 miles, but I generally go from 2 - 4 miles per run. My first 5k race is coming up Memorial Day weekend.

The program works - I'm proof! :bigsmile:

Edited to add:

I made sure I had good shoes, did a good warm up and always stretched after each run, and I still do. I used an iPhone app (c25kFREE by Zen Labs), carried my phone in an armband, and do all my running outside.
  • jennyd13
    jennyd13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I did my first run this morning so far so good. I will keep you updated.
  • mstx70
    mstx70 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks a ton for the information :smile: I plan on getting started today!
  • piper4596
    piper4596 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will be doing week 6, day 2 tomorrow. I could barely walk up the steps let alone run before I started (I weigh 229 but was 234 when I started). I had a hard time running even for 90 seconds but I've made it this far with no repeat weeks. I don't run very fast, but I'm running. I have my first 5K in June. I run outside and use the Zen Labs app too. I always look forward to running days because it feels amazing to be able to accomplish each one! Good luck!
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I want to start this program on my new treadmill. But I don't know if I should do it everyday or every other day. I've heard conflicting things.
  • piper4596
    piper4596 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I want to start this program on my new treadmill. But I don't know if I should do it everyday or every other day. I've heard conflicting things.
    The couch to 5K program is only 3 days a week
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Started it yesterday! Can't wait for day two tomorrow!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's a great program to start running with. I finished that program then went on to training for a 10k and now I'm getting ready to start training for a half.
  • morriskm
    morriskm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a graduate. I found the first few weeks to be "ok", not killer but not easy. Then it ramps up quickly but you'll be amazed when you hit each milestone. For motivation I gave myself little rewards for running 5mins non-stop, then 8, 10 etc... I have my first 5k in June and my goal is to finish without walking, later this summer I can try for a PB.

The best comment on here is get good shoes! Go get fitted and spend atleast $100 if not close to $200. It may sound like a lot but it will make or break your success, the wrong shoes will make running 10 times harder and cause injury.

Good luck keep us posted!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    have been doing the modified Couch to 5K on a treadmill and today I ran for 3 miles in 35 minutes. Just a month or two ago 90 seconds was torture. I highly recommend it, but like a previous poster said, make sure you have good running shoes. :)

I got fitted for new running shoes at the weekend - and I have to say it made a BIG difference!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I finished the program on New Years Day this year. I was a run hater before I started. Didn't even like to run across the street. Now I can't wait for my next run. I'm still running three times a week and increase the distance of my Sunday run each week - my longest run so far has been 9 miles. I've done three 5k races and a 10k and I'm planning to run a half-marathon in December.

Get good shoes and start slow. The slower you run at the start the better it will be for your joints and muscles in the long run.

Have fun!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am going into my 3rd week week after today. I am no way in shape or a runner but this program is pushing me and I am actually finding that I CAN do it! The first week was pretty good I felt really good about my accomplish, then I started the second week and I thought the first day I was going to DIE! But I made it through! It was tough and I felt like jogging an extra 30 seconds to make it a 90 second run was insane but how I PROUD I was made it WORTH IT! I am signed up for a 5K in July! My husband who is fit has also started the program with me so that's an extra motivator! I am using the Zen Labs App C25K for the android, if you get it off AMAZON they will give you a dollar for an MP3! Whoop! lol
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do Week4Day3 tomorrow - and I use the Active.com Couch-to-5-k app on my Android phone. I never, ever thought I could even complete 60 seconds of jogging but now I am doing 3-minute and 5-minute sections.

I have done a good 10 or so 5ks in the past couple of years, always walking them, and this past weekend just did one in which I ran and walked. I was with my mom, who is not training to jog, and when she would walk I did too with the knowledge that I could've easily continued on. It's a very mental task, much more mental than physical.

Listen to your body, get some good tunes, and invest in great shoes. You got it!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    AWESOME way to get started into running. I started with it a little over two years ago, and have lost 100 pounds and am now training for a marathon.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tonight will be my 2nd Day of the 1st week. I will keep you posted!! I'm excited about this program.

EDIT*** Anyone who wants to add me who is just starting this program, feel free. That would really help me out.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    it works! Do it.
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Started C25K in Sept 2010, finished it in November, ran first 5K in Dec. 2010, first 5 Miler in May 2011, first 10K in Nov 2011, first 1/2 Marathon in Dec. 2011 and first marathon in March 2012...I've managed to PR all 3 repeat races from last year by 3-7 minutes in 2012. So...I think it works!
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    im really thinking of doing this .. but i dont have proper shoes or money to buy new shoes just yet. i may just try with what i got.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It took me a year but I did it. Just be sure you have good shoes, and if it was me, I would do a few weeks of leg strength training and make sure you can actually walk a 5K before starting. Some folks can jump right in, but a lot can't.

It's worth it no matter how long it takes. Good luck.