Options

Replies

• grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love a mulligatawny - spicy to help raise the metabolism.

I cook loads of soups, and tend to mess around with the quantities of the ingredients to suit my diet. Generally though, the mulligatawny is:

1 chicken breast - in chunks, fried in a teaspoon of butter or olive oil

Then add:

1 large onion, diced
    1 carrot, diced
    1 medium potato diced
    1 v small turnip diced
    200g red lentils but can use yellow split peas and sometimes use pearl barley
    1 tablespoon mild curry powder (then add hot or madras to give it an extra kick if you like that)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1l of chicken stock - more or less if you like it thinner and obviously the thinner it is the fewer calories per portion.
    1 cup or raisans or sultanas

sometimes I will add some cherry tomatoes, mushrooms or celery (finely chopped)

Then stove top for 40 minutes, stirring regularly as the lentils have a habit of dropping to the bottom and sticking

I get between 4 and 6 portions, some of which get frozen for another day!
    An oldie but a goodie!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of drinkable soups (I usually have them with a salad or raw veggies on the side for a light lunch) and made one a few weeks ago that I fell in love with!

1 chicken bouillion cube or packet, 1 whole stick of diced celery, one egg, one cup of water. Boil water, bouillion and celery until celery is soft (4ish minutes?). Crack in egg and boil until set (another 2 minutes). Done!

It's like a lighter egg drop soup, with the added bonus of cooked celery, which I adore. The whole shebang is under 100 calories, but filling enough, and if you buy low or no sodium bouillion, it's low on everything :)
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    save to read later..:smile:
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Zuppa Tuscana Knock-Off
    You will need
    2 or 3 mild italian sausages
    1 white onion
    garlic, minced (maybe a tablespoon)
    loads of kale
    4 small russett potatoes
    chicken stock
    heavy cream
    dash of red pepper flakes
    Remove the sausage from the casings and brown the meat with the minced garlic and the onion sliced into thin strips. Pour in 3-4 cups chicken stock and then add potatoes sliced thin with skin still on. Simmer until potatoes are tender then throw in as much kale as looks yummy to you. The final step is to pour in a cup of heavy cream and throw in a dash of red pepper flakes. Eat with warm, crusty bread.
    This makes a huge batch...like huge. My husband will eat 3 big bowls and we will still have leftovers.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oooh, will have to try some of these soups soon... we are heading into winter in New Zealand so these are just perfect! Thanks, everyone, for sharing!
  • Rsm220
    Rsm220 Posts: 5
    Options
    sounds good , but the sodium must be out of this world!!!
  • jconlee02
    jconlee02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish!
  • Accountess
    Accountess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What amazing recipes cant wait to try them.
  • ginabug66
    Options
    mmmmm mmmmm :)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Check out this site she has the best soups there. For the Love of Cooking.com. I love her Greek Style Minestrone with Turkey and Feta Meatballs Yummy!
  • ItsLyricSoListen
    Options
    I was counting calories and excercising and actually gaining weight, then i stopped obsessing and i discovered soup. 3 out of 7 days a week i do all liquids just soup and unsweetened tea and i lost 10 pounds in 10 days, with out weight loss supplememnts of starving myself
  • jaymhow
    jaymhow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great recipes guys.... :)
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I've posted this on like 8 different threads lol but it's my fave!

Lemon Chicken Soup
    2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
    juice of 2 lemons
    celery stalk, sliced
    carrot, sliced
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked pasta/rice
    black pepper to taste (the lemon juice really brings out the pepper flavor so be careful it isnt too spicy for your taste)

Add all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. yummmm
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    In for soup!
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    Soup gets old FAST.
    Agreed! even if you have a multitude of varieties it is still soup. I like a variety of dishes as part of what I eat.

Soup makes a great entree.

Soup is good don't get me wrong but the title reminds me a little of shakeology,liquid lunches etc or at the very least a topic that denotes a certain level of unhealthy avoidance of certain foods in an attempt to drop the weight.
  • HelensBeads
    HelensBeads Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Roasted garlic and tomato soup

About 1kg of tomatoes
    A bulb of garlic
    Olive oil
    Salt/pepper
    Stock (whatever you have, I put the kettle on and add a couple of spoons of marigold bouillon)

Quarter the tomatoes, separate the garlic into bulbs. Put the tomatoes and garlic on a roasting sheet, drizzle with a couple of tablespoons olive oil (or less if you prefer), season with salt and pepper (or don't if you're worried about too much salt), roast in the oven until the edges of the tomatoes are just starting to blacken (time will depend on temperature which will depend on how long you have).
    Once the tomatoes are cooked fish out the garlic and tip the tomatoes into a blender, squeeze the contents of the garlic into the blender (chuck the skins, or you could disregard the advice about not peeling, peel them at the beginning and chuck everything in). Add about a pint of stock or so and blitz again.

Variations:
    Add onion, basil, whatever.

Add a whole load of fish to turn it into fish soup, the fish will just need 5 minutes simmer in the soup.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hot and Sour Vegetable Soup
    Source: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/
    Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

6 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
    16 oz. package frozen Oriental-style stir fry vegetables
    8 oz. can bamboo shoots, drained
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    2 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
    2 Tbsp. fish sauce
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp. garlic chili paste, or to taste
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Directions

Bring chicken broth to a boil, add veggies and turn off heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend.