I know this has been beat to death. . but

BrenNew
BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I KNOW that this subject has been brought up a "zillion" times already, but I never really paid attention because I didn't think I'd ever need one. I'm talking about the HMR's. I'm so close to my goal weight that I figured "why spend the money?" But, I just keep yo-yoing with my weight, for like the last 6 months at least, and now I'm thinking that maybe I'm not burning as many calories doing my exercising as I think I am, and THAT'S why I'm not losing. So, I'd like to get an HMR, but I don't want to spend a lot of money one one, though, I DO want a good one. I DO remember reading that the ones with chest straps are better than the wrist ones, but, I can't remember the names of any that were mentioned as being good. Can I get some suggestions on a good, fairly inexpensive HMR please? Thanks in advance, Brenda :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    If your primary purpose for a HRM is to get a calorie burn figure, then only a chest strap one will be accurate. (the ones that are just a wristwatch involve touching the watch to get a heart rate every once in a while)

As "expensive/inexpensive" is all relative, I can say that there have been a LOT of people here on the site who have bought a cheap HRM, only to discover it was a complete waste of money.

You can expect to pay between $70-100 for a quality one. They show up on Ebay and Woot for cheaper, but make sure you research a specific model that you want, as they vary a lot.

I researched both the Polar F6 and F11, and bought the F11.

If you exercise at a gym, you want one with a "coded" heart rate strap, or it can get interference from other HRMs and machines. If you exercise solo, a lot of people seem to really like the F4.

Other people will surely have recommendations for other brand names, but this is what I've found.:flowerforyou:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    I'm in love with my hrm. Its polar ft40 it was $210. Its a chest strap monitor, the reason I got this one was because it has user replacable batteries which I think will be better in the long run.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I love my F6 and it is the single most important thing I have bought this year.

:flowerforyou:

( and YES I was surprised that I was not burning a many cals as I thought. The more in shape you are, the less cals burned. Sad, but true)
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    I love the reebok precision xt that I have. (also known as a pro-form precision xt) You can get it for between $25-$40 on ebay. They have them on another popular site too but I can't rember the name of it. I really like this hrm though! Especially for the price!
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    I got my Omron heart rate monitor for $32 on Amazon and it works great for me. It's not as fancy for the others, so that means it doesn't calculate calories burned, but if you want to just keep track of your heart rate (which you can use to calculate calories burned by staying at a certain level), that's the way to go if you don't want to buy the over ones $100.
  • BrenNew
    If your primary purpose for a HRM is to get a calorie burn figure, then only a chest strap one will be accurate. (the ones that are just a wristwatch involve touching the watch to get a heart rate every once in a while)

As "expensive/inexpensive" is all relative, I can say that there have been a LOT of people here on the site who have bought a cheap HRM, only to discover it was a complete waste of money.

You can expect to pay between $70-100 for a quality one. They show up on Ebay and Woot for cheaper, but make sure you research a specific model that you want, as they vary a lot.

I researched both the Polar F6 and F11, and bought the F11.

If you exercise at a gym, you want one with a "coded" heart rate strap, or it can get interference from other HRMs and machines. If you exercise solo, a lot of people seem to really like the F4.

Other people will surely have recommendations for other brand names, but this is what I've found.:flowerforyou:

Thanks sooo much for your info. I DO exercise solo, as I mostly jog with my Wii, dance to my oldies, walk, and mow my lawn. I'd just really like to know EXACTLY how many calories I'm REALLY burning.
    So for solo, you're saying the F4? But do the Polar HMR's have the chest strap? I tried looking them up, but the Polars I saw, F 11, F6 (I didn't see F4) look like watches. I've also read that some HMR's have to be sent away to replace the battery, are the Polars like that? Thanks, Brenda :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    I got my Omron heart rate monitor for $32 on Amazon and it works great for me. It's not as fancy for the others, so that means it doesn't calculate calories burned, but if you want to just keep track of your heart rate (which you can use to calculate calories burned by staying at a certain level), that's the way to go if you don't want to buy the over ones $100.

When I just did a search, I DID see the Omron as the number one choice. BUT, the whole reason I want an HMR IS to calculate the calories burned. You say it doesn't?! I'm confused. (which doesn't take much!:laugh: ):blushing:
  • BrenNew
    I love my F6 and it is the single most important thing I have bought this year.

:flowerforyou:

( and YES I was surprised that I was not burning a many cals as I thought. The more in shape you are, the less cals burned. Sad, but true)

So DOES your Polar F6 really show you exactly HOW MANY calories you're burning? And IS it a watch? Because I read that they're not nearly as accurate as the ones with the chest straps. This is sooooo confusing to me! My husband says he'll buy me an HMR, but, I want to make sure I get one that WILL accurately calculate the calories I burn, as well as not need to be sent away to replace the battery. Sorry for being such a pain about this! :blushing: Thanks, Brenda :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    I'm in love with my hrm. Its polar ft40 it was $210. Its a chest strap monitor, the reason I got this one was because it has user replacable batteries which I think will be better in the long run.

Wow, thanks, but I REALLY can't justify having my husband shell out THAT much money for one! :noway: Maybe if I was FAR away from my goal, but, I don't even know if then! But, thanks for responding! :flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    I love the reebok precision xt that I have. (also known as a pro-form precision xt) You can get it for between $25-$40 on ebay. They have them on another popular site too but I can't rember the name of it. I really like this hrm though! Especially for the price!

Does this one have a chest strap, and does it accurately count calories burned? It's not a watch, is it? Thanks, Brenda :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Polars are HRM, which consists of a watch and a chest strap. The watch records everything you do, and displays how many calories you're burning. The chest strap transmitter transmits to the watch.

The F4, if I'm not mistaken, would probably suit your needs. (it retails for around $90)

Yes, most of the chest straps have to be sent back to replace the batteries (this is to maintain their waterproof-ness) Or, you can buy a replacement chest strap if anything goes wrong.

The watches with a "formula" are just another way of estimating calorie burn, while a HRM with a chest strap is much more exactly tailored to you.:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    Polars are HRM, which consists of a watch and a chest strap. The watch records everything you do, and displays how many calories you're burning. The chest strap transmitter transmits to the watch.

The F4, if I'm not mistaken, would probably suit your needs. (it retails for around $90)

Yes, most of the chest straps have to be sent back to replace the batteries (this is to maintain their waterproof-ness) Or, you can buy a replacement chest strap if anything goes wrong.

The watches with a "formula" are just another way of estimating calorie burn, while a HRM with a chest strap is much more exactly tailored to you.:flowerforyou:

Aww, thanks sooo much for the great information Viviakay! :flowerforyou: You've been extremely helpful! I really appreciate it! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    NO problem. . . I consider my HRM one of the best fitness investments I've made. . .:flowerforyou: Glad to help!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member

Does this one have a chest strap, and does it accurately count calories burned? It's not a watch, is it? Thanks, Brenda :flowerforyou:

It has a chest strap, accurately counts calories and there is a watch. You can strap the watch to your bike, treadmill arm or your wrist. Well, where ever you can fit it actually. lol I THINK it has to be about 20-24 inches away. I am not sure on that measurement though. I always wear it. ETA: You don't have to mail in for a new battery.
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    I just bought the Sportline SX hrm for about $50. It is a watch that also has a chest strap. Got it from Wal-Mart. So far I absolutely love it and it works with the machines at the gym.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Here's a link to a site that's selling the F6: http://fitnessgearusa.com/pd-polar-f6-green-tea-womens-heart-rate-monitor.cfm?gdftrk=gdfV2738_a_7c860_a_7c3727_a_7c209

It has all the specs. Plus Amazon has a million reviews on the polar, the only downside to that seems to be the battery replacement issue.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member

i love mine too! it was 29.99 from
    **buy.com???** there might be an old thread of it.
    it has a chest strap and i've been using it a lot for the last three months. very pleased with it.
This discussion has been closed.