Ladies -- How do you work out with bunions????

I've got bunions. :embarassed:

I'm short and high heels were my standard shoes for so many years that I've totally messed up my feet. I have been doing the 30 Day Shred but it is KILLING my feet. All the jumping...ugh...

So ladies, what advice have you got? Is surgery the only option?

Replies

• jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    I know I have some contraptions that you wear on the toe that supposedly over time will "straighten" a bunion out. I don't know if they work or not.
    Not sure if surgery is the only option. I had a friend that had the surgery but was pretty much off her feet for quite a few months.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    I know I have some contraptions that you wear on the toe that supposedly over time will "straighten" a bunion out. I don't know if they work or not.
    Not sure if surgery is the only option. I had a friend that had the surgery but was pretty much off her feet for quite a few months.

Please send me a note if you see any positive changes. I'd think that they would just make the next day's experience more uncomfortable ?

I just want to be able to work out without limping afterwards.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    My mama has these. Her doc told her that surgery was the last option, as it is a very painful and long recovery. He also said that sometimes it causes additional foot problems. He didn't recommend it unless she absolutely couldn't tolerate walking. She opted to keep them.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    I suffer through it. Surgery is not an option for me right now. The recovery would be next to impossible with 4 small children to care for and no family around to help. Someday. The day my youngest goes to school, I'm running to the podiatrist!!!

Make sure you wear running shoes that are wide enough and don't press on your bunions. I'm not able to go really deeply into lunges or other moves where my big toes need to bend back a lot. Even push-up position or plank can be uncomfortable. I do run without any problems. I find walking briskly hurts them more.

Good luck!
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Pretty much reiterating all of the above - I have an absolute ***** of a bunion on one of my feet (also self-inflicted, ridiculously impractical footwear), and I've been advised that surgery is an absolute last resort, particularly at a young age (as you're looking at months of recovery, much of which you're completely non weight bearing).

I'm assuming you wear trainers or some sort of footwear while working out at home? If so, just sticking a gel cushion inside your shoe(s) really helps, or even a hydrocolloid blister plaster?
  • PulchritudinousLady
    ... just sticking a gel cushion inside your shoe(s) really helps, or even a hydrocolloid blister plaster?

I'm afraid I had to look that up! I've purchased some awesome new shoes and I use thick socks -- every little bit helps. I just wish I do a "regular" routine without hurting later.

Thanks all for the surgery feedback -- I didn't realize it was such a intense experience!
  • Have you gotten fitted for a running/cross training shoe? I'm not sure if this is even a thing, but if a specialty fitness shoe store can fit your flat/over-arched/etc. feet for shoes... I'm sure they would have suggestions for a bunion, since they are so common. I guess that's sorta unhelpful in terms of advice, but it's worth a try!
  • PulchritudinousLady
    You're right -- that IS probably something i should do.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    I don't have bunions but my last pair of running shoes - Nike Vomeros had round patches that have some give and apparently are good for bunions. These, or something similar might be worth a try.
  • BlueGymnast
    BlueGymnast Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Ladies!
    I am an "afflicted" too 🤣.
    My biggest problem is any time I have to be on my toes like in a Plank/Burpee/etc. I can hear a horrible crunch when doing so!
    I'm sad that high heels are painful for me! Yet I work thru the aching. Anyone else do that?
    In my opinion, the wide size in Asics athletic/running shoes are wonderful. Don't feel you must spend over $100 for a pair of shoes-I just won't! Asics can be bought $50-$60 (JCPenny, Kohl's, DSW). They have sufficient arch support too.
    I don't want to share inaccurate info so I pulled up bunion info, I hope this helps!
    Amy
    See section on Treatment...
    https://www.medicinenet.com/bunions/article.htm#what_is_the_treatment_for_bunions_are_there_home_remedies_to_treat_bunions
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I have bunions, though I have never been a high heel wearer. I was a long distance hiker and now runner and the impact and many thousands of miles widened my feet. I pronate, so roll onto the ball of my feet, which caused the bunion, I think, as well as calluses. At the running store, it was advised that I wear support shoes to prevent the pronation and that I wear shoes with a lower drop so that my weight is not thrown onto the front of my feet but is more evenly distributed. I halfway did the first--I wear NB 860s for my walking around shoes, but neutral Brooks for running-- but not the second as I don't like the look of Altras, which are the only zero drop shoes that are wide enough for my feet.