The doctor said this

Options
Falcon
Falcon Posts: 853 Member
I got my blood work back on Thursday and she said raise your good cholestrol and your iron. So she gave me a whole list to follow and obey and I need to make some alternations in my diet.

They're not that bad so here's the list

Flaxseed
Sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
seasame seeds
fish oil
olive oil
canola oil
sunflower seed oil
Fish
sardines mmmm I love sardines
Iron supplements
Grapes, red wine though its the sugar content she's worried about
Walnuts, different kinds of nuts just watch the amount I consume.

Sigh, I wasn't expecting her to say that to me, I thought for sure she was going to tell me my cholestrol was high.

I bought some of the things she listed and started snacking on those instead. I switched from Whole Wheat to Flaxseed whole grains.

Bought some OMega 3-6-9 supplements, iron and calcium.

We'll see what happens, but I suspect if I deal with this now I figure I will be better off in the long run.

Replies

• FINALLY4ME
    FINALLY4ME Posts: 643
    Options
    I love to add and ground milled flaxseed to my yogurt and bake w/ it...its an easy way to get your Omega...and yummy/nutty flavor is good too! :wink:

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    WoW, I didn't know that sunflower seeds could raise your HDL, thanks for sharing this. I don't know how I missed that because I love sunflower seeds.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I started a year ago after my Dr. told me my good cholesteral was low. Unfortunatly, I found that after a couple week of taking the omega's I began burbing and tasting the fish....toooo grosss....So I switched to the flaxseed and that was fine for a while too, but then I began to start burping and tasting that, and surprisingly, it has a mild fishy taste also. I couldn't tolerate that so I had to quit taking them both. I don't know if the fresh ground stuff is better. but I've tried the breads, the eggs, butters, and other things,but, now they all taste fishy too..... I wish I could find something that would work. anyone have any ideas?
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    they make a non repeating fish oil that does not give you the burp up taste. get it at health food stores
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    I've been using the fresh golden flax seed (grine in coffee grinder) for a little over a year. Cholesterol went from over 200 to 150. HDL supper good! Use 1 tbsp in protein shakes, yogurt, oatmeal or anything you can stir it in. Tasteless! No side effects! Recommended by my trainner. Best to use before workout and not after because of amount of fat. :bigsmile: