Porridge with water not milk... opinion?

Options
I want to start eating porridge with water instead of milk but i'm worried it is going to taste horrible?

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've always made it with water, but I usually add a little bit of salt which makes it taste much nicer. I then usually have a little bit of milk or yoghurt with it, or you could have cream. You can also sweeten it (with golden syrup/brown sugar) but I prefer not to. It doesn't taste horrible at all, but it's maybe just an acquired taste. The little bit of salt makes all the difference for me.

If you mean having water instead of milk with the ready cooked porridge (rather than cooking it with water), then I think that would be horrible :). I'd rather just have it with nothing at all.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have 100 ml skimmed milk and the rest water
  • Baydale
    Baydale Posts: 22
    Options
    Try it and find out, the worst you can be is wrong! I tried it and personally, never again! That's probably just the water here though, it just tasted very metallic or something, even after adding honey to try and mask the flavour a bit. Light milk it is for me :)
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You can also soak uncooked porridge oats overnight in juice or yoghurt and eat them without cooking. Cooking them with water is fine. I love oats.
  • Charval
    Charval Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make it with water and add a tsp of peanut butter (salt and sugar free) and it tastes really nice. I do add a dash of milk to soften it when I eat it as I cook it the night before.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    if you just use 100ml of skimmed milk with a sachet of oat so simple, there is hardly very many calories in skimmed milk (45 cals) and you are getting more protein (4g) in your day.
    I would recommend giving up any honey or sugar that you put into it instead as that will save more calories.

I think if you use just water, you will need something to sweeten it like sugar or honey, or putting peanut butter or salt in it will be worse than just using fat free milk in the first place.
  • mquarry
    mquarry Posts: 21
    Options
    I do it with water only, and I use bottled water for it. Then I put in 1 tbsp of butter, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and some pumpkin spice seasoning. Brilliant tasting. :)
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I never use milk as I find soya milk never quite microwaves well - so I make it with water and applesauce/berries (as in, mix those in before cooking) then when cooked add a little alpro soya yogurt. Yummmmm.
  • hanmurtle
    hanmurtle Posts: 1
    Options
    porridge with water is great! After the initial bowl you'll never look back. Try popping a teensy bit of sweetener in and some cinammon - totally yummy
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I always cook my oats in a pan with water (ratio 1:2.5 and a pinch of salt) then serve with a little milk, its the only way I know to eat them. Is there a reason you want to cut out milk, other wise a 0% fat milk powder has only 35 Cal per 100ml, maybe you could cook with that or serve with it?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't like it with water at all. At the very least I use unsweetened almond milk. You might like it, though. Lots of people like things that I don't...like onions. Yuck, lol.
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have 100 ml skimmed milk and the rest water

I do this :) and sugar (dark brown or steviana) and sometimes i add the following:
    1. any fruits (banana, strawberries etc)
    2. raisins
    3. nuts (grinded)
    4. honey
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options
    I always make it with water and just add a splash of milk when its cooked, a handful of blueberries, some cinnamon and some ground flaxseed - delicious.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't like them with water, tried half milk and half water and didn't like that either, its down to your personal preference and taste, try it out
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Ive always made mine with hot water, and mixed in a tiny bit of milk once its done. (about a tablespoon)
  • Rockcress
    Rockcress Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer milk...but maybe if you are trying to save a few calories...I wonder how it would taste with almond milk? I love it in my cereal - I think I'll try it in porridge.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I make mine with skimmed milk and just a touch of either sugar or honey to sweeten, and a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon for extra flavour. Then I like to slice banana on top. Using skimmed milk gives it that lovely milky flavour but without adding any fat and only a few calories. I can't stand it made with just water - it's like wallpaper paste. As for having it salty - ick - never liked it that way at all.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We have always made porridge with water.

afik that's how it's made in Scotland

Add cold milk to the bowl after, which is where yoghurt fans can substitute.
  • bexx03
    bexx03 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks, I decided to go for it and had it with 1 tsp of low cal sweetener and a tbsp of apple sauce and it tasted really nice.
    I'll definitely have to try it out with some of the things recommended though!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Oats so Simple with water and a tsp of peanut butter... HEAVEN! :heart: