Exercise in the morning vs. in the evening.

Options
Do you exercise in the morning or in the evening?
I tend to exercise in the late afternoon, but am thinking maybe I should go in the morning and have breakfast after.
What do you guys do?

Replies

• AnnieEsme
    AnnieEsme Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I excersise when it fits in best. I'm revising at the minute so I like to give myself a break after a couple of hours work so normally aim for 10.30am ish, then I've had time for breakfast and I'm not going to feel weak during my workout and work myself up until lunchtime where I tend to make healthier choices for lunch as I've just worked out and my body feels like it wants good things.

Although on somedays I'll work out at 2pm and it's great cos theres never many people in my gym at that time, and you can pick whichever machines you want.

If I do workout DVDs I tend to do them in the evening so I can then have a relaxing bath afterwards then go to bed.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine's usually in the evening. Late evening. I'm very busy during the day, and I tried mornings for a while but couldn't stand getting up even earlier than usual.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I walk to work in the morning's, which is nice and esy then run on an evening after work.
  • rcrosfill
    rcrosfill Posts: 2
    Options
    When I was working full time, I used to train late in the evening - because that's the only time I had free. I always felt tired from the get go but was so pleased and relaxed when I completed the work out.

Now my lifestyle has changed and I can choose when's best for me to train. I've discovered that I have much more energy in the morning and can push myself further than in any other time of the day, plus making it a part of my morning routine leads to less procrastination. This does make me hungrier in the morning but less hungry in the evening.
  • MoonMeliMelo
    Options
    http://www.iamnotobese.com/beginner-jogging-tips.php

this website seems to say it all!

=)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the "morning" since I work the night shift, when I wake up I consider that my morning, I move around a bit to get the blodd flowing then work out to get things moving for the day.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do mine when I can fit it in, I have no preference some days is a evening and others is a morning depens really on what I have planned for the week, the most important thing is you do it and don't think oh I won't do it tonight ill get up early and do it then hit the snooze button and don't do it.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If I can only exercise one time in the day my preference is between 3 and 5 p.m. It's the time I seem to have the most energy so I can put more into the exercise I do and thus get the most out of it. Also would tie in supposedly with one's circadian rhythm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biological_clock_human.svg
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do mine in the morning during the week, as I am too tired when I get home from work. I swim twice a week and jog twice, and eat breakfast a couple of hours later when I get to work. At the weekends it tends to be whenever I can with whatever I have planned.
  • giggles7706
    giggles7706 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do it in the morning before breakfast. Sometimes, I either just don't or can't and end up doing it in the afternoon but then I have problems squeezing in the calories I need. I feel energized and just better if I go ahead and get it done first thing in the morning.
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think the question is what is most effective or are they the same? I like to work out pre dinner, so 5:30 straight from work is best for me after my daily carbs for lunch will have been digested. I would suggest the most effective is first thing in the morning, so that your metabolism is woken up for the whole day, but that is only a guess.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If I could afford not to work, or start later I'd do it in the morning as it really sets me up for the day! At present, I go 4 nights a week and tend to do 4-6 classes!
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I do the mornings. I find it a great wake up call and puts me on track to eat right for the rest of the day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at night. I am a night owl and don't do well on early mornings. It takes all my energy to get out of bed, get ready and be at work on time. The LAST THING I want to do is workout beforehand. I want to sleep until the last possible minute. So, working out at night works best for me.

Honestly? The best time is the time you'll stick with - whether it be morning, evening or late night. I will say, I've heard a lot of people complain they can't sleep when they workout later at night. I don't have issues with this - but it could be because I've always worked out late.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Exercising late in the evening can, for some people, interfere with sleep. I have chronic sleep problems and so I avoid working out late, and generally work out in the morning and/or early/mid afternoon. I do several small workouts a day because that suits me best but I avoid anything too late as it can stop me from sleeping.

Note that this is something that only affects some people, and if you can work out in the evening without it interfering with your sleep then there's nothing wrong with it at all, just do what suits *you* best. I just mentioned it so you're aware that it *may* be a problem, if it is, you can reschedule your workouts for earlier in the day.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Most important is simply that you get it in! But if you're looking for the greatest benefit, mornings are definitely best. Workouts raise your metabolism for hours afterward. Best to take advantage of that extra energy, rather than sleeping through it!! Also, if you work out first thing, on an empty stomach, your muscles will pull energy from fat stores instead of any carbs you've already consumed, thus speeding up your fat loss (not quite the same as "weight" loss-- definitely better!)
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I try and get it in in the morning......I wear a BodyMedia Fit (worn for 3 years) and I took notice that on days when I exercised in the morning I burned about 200-300 more calories a day, even when burning the same amount of calories during the workout itself. What really matters is that you do it, and you have to find a time where it works best for you.