Eating clean?? What does it mean?

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
What does eating clean actually mean?? I always thought it meant eating foods that were as close to their natural state as possible and preparing meals from these whole foods which is what I do as much as possible (apart from my shakes and tea and little sugar lol). But I often see people say they eat clean but when I view their diary its full of packaged protein bars and pre made meals so is it my concept of clean eating that is off? Does it mean something else?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Options
    Bump

Where are all the clean eaters?
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Those people are not eating clean. Eating clean is avoiding packaged and processed foods- protein bars included. A simple rule is: eat food from your fridge, not your cupboard. I've also heard people say "Eat food that grows from the ground or has a mother" lol. I prefer the cupboard rule though.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    For me, it's eating whole, unprocessed foods that don't contain added ingredients, sugars etc. Also the packaged foods must not contain high amounts of added sugar, processed carbohydrate i.e if I eat a protein bar.

But that's just the concept I follow :)
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's a bit ambiguous to be honest. It could mean different things to different people. I understand eating clean to be the same thing as you but I've read it to mean not going outside of a diets guidelines, i.e. high protein, low carb or whatever.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its different to everyone.

mostly its as you described..eating whole foods and preparing meals yourself. no pre-processed foods..for me this is impossible to do completely..first off..no time, second its hard to make varied things from scratch. i eat organic "processed" foods and consider it 'clean' eating..

i am NOT a clean eater by any means...i tried it and my energy and strength died way down..i just couldnt do it..
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    for me, it's what you've explained. I only have a couple of things in my diet that I don't consider 'clean', my bread, protein shake & my oats (which I still class as processed).
    General rule of thumb for me when looking at things outside of my normal menu, is if the product has 3 or more ingredients listed on the packet, I don't buy it
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it means different things to different people too.

For me, eating clean is about eating food as close to it's natural state, nothing processed or artificial, and preferably organic (growth hormones in meat erghhh). If I don't know what an ingredient is, then I don't eat it basically.

I probably manage to achieve this around 85% of the time, but am working on making more and more changes to improve that percentage. I made the change about 6 weeks ago and I must admit it's really working for me. I am enjoying the taste of real food better.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to look at my diary!
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I have been eating clean for about 6 months. True, if it don't have a mother or come from the ground it is not clean. The less listed on the label the better. If you can't pronoun the words why eat it? I try to keep ingredients to no more than 3. Just take a good look at what is listed, then google it. I think of it as a hobby, to try and find differant and clean foods. I have heard people say " Have you ever seen a Marshmellow tree"? Buy a packaged cake and see how long it takes to spoil. IT DON'T that is what is sitting in your gut! Always looking for ideas!:flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is honestly a meaningless phrase. It doesn't really mean anything.
  • Generalle
    Options

For me, eating clean is about eating food as close to it's natural state, nothing processed or artificial, and preferably organic (growth hormones in meat erghhh). If I don't know what an ingredient is, then I don't eat it basically.

I probably manage to achieve this around 85% of the time, but am working on making more and more changes to improve that percentage. I made the change about 6 weeks ago and I must admit it's really working for me. I am enjoying the taste of real food better.

I never really thought about that before, whole food really does taste better when you eliminate the preservatives and processed crap from your diet. I actually look forward to (and like the taste) of my plain baked chicken, sweet potato & broccoli that is my lunch, contrary to what my workmates think haha
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I learned about my clean eating from the book the Eat Clean Diet and the magazine Oxygen, so I follow their definition which is minimal refined sugar (if any), fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains, I even make my own protein bars from scratch so that they will be eat clean. I guess all people have different ideas though...and we all have our good/bad days with clean eating.

-Chancy
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I never really thought about that before, whole food really does taste better when you eliminate the preservatives and processed crap from your diet. I actually look forward to (and like the taste) of my plain baked chicken, sweet potato & broccoli that is my lunch, contrary to what my workmates think haha

Ok that is just weird...I'm having baked chicken, sweet potato and broccoli for dinner tonight! LOL
  • Generalle
    Options

Ok that is just weird...I'm having baked chicken, sweet potato and broccoli for dinner tonight! LOL

It's delicious isn't it!!!!! lol
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    My diary is by no means totally clean but I do choose whole products to make my meals from as much as I can. I love the taste of veg no need to disguise it or hide it here. We also make some of our own breads. Its clean enough for me right now at any rate, as a gainer I think I'd have massive problems eating 2300 a day totally clean!