60 minutes 1000 calories

Options
Loraah
Loraah Posts: 111 Member
Yesterday I burned 1015 calories in 60 minutes on my elliptical trainer.

I told it my weight (117 kgs) and was on resistance level 19 of 20 I was hitting an average of 60 rpm

Today my housemate was talking to a trainer at the gym who said 1000 calories isn't possible and our machine must be wrong

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible or am i getting incorrect readings?

Replies

• Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it's impossible for ME to burn that many calories. I can burn a maximum of 10 calories per minute according to my HRM, no matter how hard I work. If you're using the machine as a calorie guide then it probably is off a little, they're not taking into account height, weight, gender, age and heart rate like a HRM is.

I don't know if it is possible for someone else to burn that much, but I definately can't do it.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know that my recumbent bike's computer gives calorie reading about 1/3rd higher than my HRM... And even an hours vigorous workout while wearing the HRM would only burn a max of about 500 for me... Everyone is different though. If you could possibly get a HRM, that would be your best bet.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I can do around 250calories in 20minutes on the cross trainer. Thats at halfway resistance.

No machine in the gym is going to be 100% accurate, but I just use it as a good guide. I am sure some of the foods are worng as well, but all in all I would say it evens out.

Regardless, it was a great work out
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it is...I used to go out with a biathlete who he and his friends were on the US row team and when they worked out (not rowing but running, etc.), would work out HARD for a long period of time. They could burn obscene amounts of cals in a hour or two. For you? Doing level 19 or 20 at 60 rpms for a whole hour!?! WOWOW!!!! I'd think your heart rate was probably way high in the cardio range or even possibly anaerobic? Regardless, the harder you work out, the longer you work out, the more calories you'll burn. To me, it's basic math. It just strikes me, maybe that trainer is used to people who go into gyms, work out a little, talk a little...I've seen people who were on a mission...so, yeah, I think it's possible.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    with your weight I would say it is posible,
    but keep in mind that machines tend to overestimate...
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    Of course you can burn 1000 calories in an hour! Congrats
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I reckon the best and most accurate way to measure is with a HRM because I've found the calories differ between HRM and machine...
  • Loraah
    Options
    It is taking into account my weight I put that in before i started and it has a heart rate monitor waist band that syncs with it
    I think it's impossible for ME to burn that many calories. I can burn a maximum of 10 calories per minute according to my HRM, no matter how hard I work. If you're using the machine as a calorie guide then it probably is off a little, they're not taking into account height, weight, gender, age and heart rate like a HRM is.

I don't know if it is possible for someone else to burn that much, but I definately can't do it.
  • Loraah
    Options
    I reckon the best and most accurate way to measure is with a HRM because I've found the calories differ between HRM and machine...

As soon as I can afford one I'll be getting one
  • anuroopr
    anuroopr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    On an Cybex Arc Trainer, I can do 35 minutes at an average 60% resistance and it will show over 600 calories burned. So I suppose it should be possible to hit 1000 calories in 60 minutes. The maths is certainly possible.

The problem is though that my HRM shows about 300 calories when the Cybex Arc shows 600. I daresay if you do use an HRM you may have a more conservative reading.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That is almost 17 calories/ min.... honestly it sounds way off. I can tell you from experience that when I use the elliptical, the machine will tell me I've burned 700 + calories, but my heart rate monitor says about 400. So I wouldn't go by the machine.

Also you might ask a trainer--- I had one tell me that 14/cal a minute is about the maximum a person can burn. It's also my understanding that heavier (read-overweight) people burn more calories/minute than fit people.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've never used an elliptical but, according to my HRM I burned 1911 cal on Sunday running 21.1 km in 2:10 so I'm inclined to think that 100o cal in a hour is certainly possible.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Possible. Especially at your weight. You must have been sweaty and dead after hehe. Well done.

In general, MFP and machines tend to overestimate compared to a HRM, but since you say the machine does take your weight and HR into account then I'd trust it well enough.
  • Loraah
    Options
    Possible. Especially at your weight. You must have been sweaty and dead after hehe. Well done.

In general, MFP and machines tend to overestimate compared to a HRM, but since you say the machine does take your weight and HR into account then I'd trust it well enough.

I was totally dead afterwards, it certainly was no walk in the park
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can.

I am 93ish kilos. This morning I did 771cals in 50mins with a reliable HRM, this is usual, yesterday I did over 1000. Sure it was a little over an hour but a component of that was strength training.

When I add my cals to diary I do subtract my BMR though so the 771 became 701. Might be worth finding out what your BMR per minute is and subtracting that from your total cals.

Keep up the good work
  • MareeS77
    MareeS77 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think it is extremely possible..... The best way to know exactly what you are burning is to use a heart rate monitor..... I use a hrm and I burn around half of what the machines tell me. It all depends on your fitness level and where your heart rate sits at while exercising. Very possible though :-)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 calories a day (per my Polar FT650 HRM) and that is always within a 65 minute window at about 60-70% of my Max heartrate... (That is on the elliptical) now on the treadmill (I can't run because of very bad knee's) I can only get to 600-700 calories in an hour but my speed is never higher than 3.0 on a 4-5 incline. But it is very possible on the Elliptical or Bike....
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I would say its pushing the limit. I know ellipticals are notorious for overestimating calories burned. I can burn that many calories on a treadmill at an 8:00/mile pace for an hour and I'm a 180lb (80kg) male with 15% body fat. I found the treadmill to be the hardest form of cardio for me so I'm very skeptical of the numbers generated by an elliptical.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Definitely impossible... I would rely on an HRM
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't think any machine is fully accurate but I would think at a vigorous effort at your weight you would probably burn around 800-900 calories. Have you tried using any online calories burned calculators? THey can give you an idea....an average....

The only thing that is remotely accurate is the HRM though. I would get that.