Underweight BMI, but still have belly fat...

Options
Hey guys,
sooo I've lost 13 kg since February and now I have an underweight BMI. This is not what I want, but I still have quite some fat on my belly!! How do I get rid of it without dropping even more in weight? Im already doing Ripped in 30 and eating enough protein... I also try to eat as clean as possible.

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Could you post a pic of your belly. Maybe it's not that bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You are "skinny fat"...You need to build muscle...lift and lift heavy. Not only will you build muscle, but with proper form you engage your core when lifting, which really helps to tone and define it.

Also, mix up your workout...try pilates (excellent for the core!), kickboxing and kettle bells. Again, they all engage the core during workouts and really help to strengthen and define your mid section.

I cannot do traditional ab work on the floor due to lower back issues, so I have learned how to sculpt and define my abs/midsection with alternative ways...

Lifitng heavy will NOT make you bulk up, but give you beautiful muscles...
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) That makes sense... Here is a pic..:

es1ffr.jpg
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. I'm in the same situation. I'm eating a 500 Cal surplus and weight training 3-4 ties a week and eating back all my cals. I net around 2300 a day and my bf% is still under but I'm getting some sexy muscle everywhere! Eat big and lift heavy. You could also add Pilates for core strength and tightening the tummy area.

I have pics in my album and I am not even close to bulky and I have been lifting and eating big for 7 weeks (I have gained about 5lb)

If you want to weigh more, but be leaner, you won't like this answer, but you should do a bulk/cut cycle. Eat at maintenance + 500 cal and lift heavy (note that enough protein is more than MFP recommends,since you said you are getting enough, I trust it's closer to 30% of your cals). If you do a bulk well, you could probably put on a pound of muscle per month (the other 3 pounds will be fat :( ) then after a few months, lower back down to maintenance -500 while strength training to preserve your new muscles. No lady likes to hear bulk, but the only way to fix belly fat is lower body fat percent. If you don't want to lower weight more, you need more muscle. There's a good article by Lyle macdonald I think it's called "everything you want to know about mass gain" so you can make sure you want to do it and that I haven't mis-remembered anything
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book 'New Rules of Lifting For Women' :-)
  • Sharmender
    Options
    Ok, so l guess I have to up my intake and get heavier weights? I'll try that then :) Also will check out Pilates when I'm done with Ripped in 30..
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

This is great advice and is what I did myself. I did this last year and put on 16lbs, (134-150) but now that I'm losing again (I'm 144 currently) I'm definitely smaller than I was at 144 the first time round. My goal is 135 which is 6lbs heavier than my lightest (129) and from how my body has changed in the first 6lbs, I have a feeling that when I get to around 135 my stomach will be flatter than at my lowest!
  • Sharmender
    Options
    Great advice :) It's gonna be hard for me to really up my intake though, I'm kind of scared to gain weight but yeah it's all in the head :P
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    BMI is nonsense.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I want a belly that fat.....what are you talking about? Where is the "fat"????
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I want a belly that fat.....what are you talking about? Where is the "fat"????

I'd love her belly too. Check out my big fat belly here :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/594906-which-exercise-would-you-recommend-for-me-pics
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the problem is more weak muscle tone than anything else (I don't know how to judge from a picture) My suggestion would be to go to "maintenance" for your eating / calorie burning balance, but add one more critical static exercise.

According to my Boot Camp instructor, the best (non lifting ) exercise to tighten your core is planks. At every opportunity, hold a plank as long as you can, while trying to push your belly button up through your spine to make sure your abs are as tight as possible. When you first get up ... during tv commercials ... last thing before bed etc etc. Alternate with side planks to catch the obliques. If it is more muscle tone than "skinny fat' (or a combination) then it will help lots.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    pffft. I should be so lucky to have a little bitta fat like that! Listen to the Mfp's here, they seem to know what they are talking about . Good luck, ya little fatty. :tongue:
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am getting envious of your gorgeous curves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chrissyKar
    Options
    BMI isn't always accurate....when I am in my ideal weight range if I went as low as BMI suggests I would be underweight
  • chrissyKar
    Options
    BMI is nonsense.

hehe Huffdog said it right :laugh: :wink:
  • Sharmender
    Options
    Haha sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone or something. Although it's not very clear on the picture, I can still grab a lot of fat (or skin, I dunno, it's a handfull eitherway) When I sit I really have a pooch (I know it's normal to have some rolls, but this really is fat.) And I just want to get rid of it.
    Thanks for all the advice. I've been planking a lot lately already with Jillian Michaels :)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Personally I think you have a beautiful body and your tummy is just perfect, feminine and shapely.
    You got some great tips and advice already, so won't add to that, but perhaps you're being a little over critical to yourself!